1.    #1  
    So, I am wondering if Sprint's upgrade plan is better than Verizon's "New (Contract) Every Two" program.

I am currently with Verizon and their program sucks! I am eligible for an upgrade because it has been two years since my contract was renewed. So if I want to get a new phone I have to sign another two year contract.

Does Sprint have a version of this program and how does it work?

Mark
    just about all the carriers have the same type of 2 year commitment
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzydiver
    So then even with other carriers I am either going to have to pay retail or sign another two year contract? That sucks!

Mark
    If you have been a Sprint customer for 18 months, you are eligible for a $150 rebate off the price of a 650 when you sign an new 2 year agreement.

You're not going to get anything for "free", i.e, a huge discount off a premier phone because you've been a customer for 2 years. If you're happy with your current service this shouldn't be a big deal. If not, you can sign a new customer agreement with someone else and get your discount that way.

But either way, you're signing some sort of contract, whether it's a year, year and a half, or two years.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzydiver
    If you buy from the carrier or on line. Walk into a brick and mortar "all carriers" store. I went in with copies of several $349 Cingular 2 year committment deals in my pocket. Before I could whip them out, first words out of the salesman's mouth were $325 w/ 1 year committment....and this was on the day the Treo 650 was released on Cingular and there was only 1 unit in the store.

It seems the companies give those in the "open market" much more latitude in terms and pricing when there's competition right in the store. Downside is sales tax of course but most here would eat that up w/ overnight shipping.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    with the 18 month sprint thing, i believe you don't have to sign a new 2 year contract if you sign up for vision (assuming you didn't have it before).
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    with the 18 month sprint thing, i believe you don't have to sign a new 2 year contract if you sign up for vision (assuming you didn't have it before).
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $new$ $2$ $year$ $contract$ $is$ $required$ $with$ $the$ $rebate$. $Vision$ $has$ $nothing$ $to$ $do$ $with$ $the$ $rebate$. $You$ $have$ $to$ $have$ $been$ $a$ $customer$ $for$ $18$ $months$, $on$ $a$ $plan$ $with$ $a$ $minimum$ $of$ $$35$/$month$, $and$ $sign$ $a$ $new$ $2$ $year$ $agreement$.

They already know that if you're getting a Treo, you're getting Vision. If not, they're looking at collecting big bills from you every month.
    I'm back!
    so…no one has been successful in talking Sprint into giving them (an existing customer) the same or similar deal as they give new customers on the 650 then? even if threatening to switch to cingular instead?

I sorta doubt it, but it really bothers me that I have to pay $450 to upgrade from my 600 to a new 650 when new customers can get the 650 for $290 - I wouldn't mind paying a few more dollars than new customers, but $160 (55%) more?

unless they give me $150 for trade-in AND $150 for signing a new 2 year contract - anyone been able to get both of those together?
    Actually, according to the Sprint Rebate terms, you have to sign up for Vision if you purchase a Vision capable phone to receive the rebate.

According to some other boards, you can cancel it once you receive the rebate though.
    OKAY FROM A INSIDER... Clearing this crap up for you folks... !

Upgrade program is simply this... 18 months w/ the SAME EXACT PHONE on the same Account, also you have not signed any type of agreement within that 18 months you are eligable for the MAIL IN Rebate of $150...

Now... Do you really want to wait 6-8 months for that Rebate?
    IF you do not mind, make sure when filling the back side of the Rebate out you use Blue or Black ink and use CAPITAL LETTERS only!!
    With that said................

Head over to COSTco and inquire when they are going to carry the 650? If I am not mistaken they should already have it... Most of the time they are $50-100+/- cheaper than the Sprint Store "outright" price.

GOOD LUCK on your investigation...
    Last edited by spoolenTreo; 04/27/2005 at 03:21 AM. Reason: UPST
    I was looking at sprintpcs.com on the business side, If you have a business account you can get the $150 off rebate and plus an extra $120 off for a special discount they are haveing right now... The phone total would be $329 before taxes....
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolenTreo
    Upgrade program is simply this... 18 months w/ the SAME EXACT PHONE on the same Account, also you have not signed any type of agreement within that 18 months you are eligable for the MAIL IN Rebate of $150...
    Inside what? This couldn't be farther from the truth. If these are the "set in stone" rules, then Sprint has a lot of systems issues because I didn't deal with any of this. In June 2004 I upgraded from my POS Samsung to the Treo 600, which I purchased full price at Amazon. I wasn't eligible for the 18 month rebate yet, but I had a few Amazon gift certs. In November, I upgraded to the Treo 650 and was eligible, and received in 2 months (not 6-8), the $150 18 month upgrade rebate. I switched phones twice in those 6 months and never got any grief at all about the $150 rebate. So unless Sprint has changed their policy since November, you do not have to have the same phone for the previous 18 months.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    So unless Sprint has changed their policy since November, you do not have to have the same phone for the previous 18 months.
    I heard that they did change it this year
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    I heard that they did change it this year
    That sucks!
    I'm back!