Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I just read a post toward the top listing the same dates I just got today....May 11 for B2B, May 23 everyone else.

For me this is already a case of crying wolf. They keep extending the release date and when they finally do release it and are like "look, now you can get one, for real, right now...." I'm going to be like who cares.

Anyway, I'll just stick to my Treo 600 until the 700 or whatever comes out later on with Sprint or Cing. It's not worth the pain to try and keep up with Verizon's BS.
    I agree. I'm in the greater NY Metro area and I've got several teens and, up until a few months ago, had T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, Nextel and my Verizon phone in our household that had been purchased at various times. In terms of the ability to make and receive calls, it wasn't even close. We're all on a Verizon family plan now. Yes, I wish Verizon was earlier to market with hardware, and I wish that there data pricing was lower. But, every time I see or hear someone with another carrier's phone dropping calls while I've got a strong signal I realize that, and the end of the day, what I want in a phone is the above referenced ability to make and receive calls.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    For many - myself included - Verizon has the best coverage of any carrier. Particularly to the extent your entire family is on a single plan and you want to make sure your spouse has a signal when the car dies with your kids in the back, not to mention business issues, coverage matters.

The problem is that Verizon knows this and their general approach has been my way or the highway. They'll take their time because they know people will wait. I really need a Treo for my new job and have been holding off for 4 months waiting on the 650 - in my case I simply wish there was a logical upgrade path because I really could have used one a while ago and have been told repeatedly to wait for the 650 - and since my firm only pays for the plan not the equipment acquisition cost I can't afford to buy two at even their 2 year contract price...
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Verizon probably doesn't really want to release this phone, because they know it doesn't take advantage of their network. They're going to drag it out as long as they can.
    I ordered my 650 early this week from our business rep and was told about a two week wait, which would match the May 11th date.
    mind if we ask how much? are the prices we've seen on the board pretty accurate?
    Quote Originally Posted by GEMicher
    I ordered my 650 early this week from our business rep and was told about a two week wait, which would match the May 11th date.
    Sorry to tell you but your 'order' is nothing more then your rep writing your name down on a piece of paper on his/her desk...they can't order a 650 yet, it's not in their systems.

Erik
    So I paid a visit to the Verizon Store in my local Circuit City Shop today after work.

The Lady said that the Release Date for the Treo 650 is May 10th for all channels... not just Business, but Consumers as well. She didn't have the pricing readily available.

She also mentioned that a Data Plan is highly recommended, but not mandatory.

Here's an interesting side note. The Lady said that there will be a promo that will give you an additional $100 off the Treo 650 if you purchase w/ the Unlimited Data Plan. This is IN ADDITION TO the NE2 Discount. I thought I would pass this along to you guys to chew on...

I'm just the messenger, so don't shoot me!!! Cheers!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by WiggyFife
    The Lady said that there will be a promo that will give you an additional $100 off the Treo 650 if you purchase w/ the Unlimited Data Plan. This is IN ADDITION TO the NE2 Discount. I thought I would pass this along to you guys to chew on... Cheers!!!
    Early in my shopping process, a friend who is a very satisfied Treo 300 owner and a serious computer geek told me that I should seriously consider the unlimited data plan from Verizon if it was offered.... Sorta' "try it, you'll like it." He said that Verizon had offered promotions in the past where they gave a serious discount on the phone in return for signing up for the data plan. He concluded that, if I didn't like it, the data plan was not -- in the past promotion -- a term contract, so I could cancel it at any time.

If it is cancellable without penalty, then it is functionally the same as a free trial period. You take the plan, get $100 extra bucks off the phone, and decide whether the $45/mo plan suits you. That's a no-brainer great deal. But, if WiggyFife's rumor is true, be sure to check that the data plan is cancellable: two years @ $45/mo. is more expensive than the $100 discount!

But, one question: What is the NE2 discount?
    NE2 = New Every 2 Years. Verizon offers a $100 phone credit to subscribers at their 2 year anniversary to enable them to upgrade their phones -- and, of course, to lock them into another 2 year contract!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton convert
    Early in my shopping process, a friend who is a very satisfied Treo 300 owner and a serious computer geek told me that I should seriously consider the unlimited data plan from Verizon if it was offered.... Sorta' "try it, you'll like it." He said that Verizon had offered promotions in the past where they gave a serious discount on the phone in return for signing up for the data plan. He concluded that, if I didn't like it, the data plan was not -- in the past promotion -- a term contract, so I could cancel it at any time.

If it is cancellable without penalty, then it is functionally the same as a free trial period. You take the plan, get $100 extra bucks off the phone, and decide whether the $45/mo plan suits you. That's a no-brainer great deal. But, if WiggyFife's rumor is true, be sure to check that the data plan is cancellable: two years @ $45/mo. is more expensive than the $100 discount!

But, one question: What is the NE2 discount?
    I may be half-tempted to try this Data Plan, if what you are saying is the way it'll work. The only issue is that I know if/when I try to cancel, I will probably have the utmost difficult time trying to reverse it off of my account.

I am really only looking to converge my dying Sony Clie w/ my life on it, and my cellphone into 1 handy-dandy device. I've never been all that interested in a dataplan to begin with. I do all my surfing on my home computer...
    Quote Originally Posted by WiggyFife
    I am really only looking to converge my dying Sony Clie w/ my life on it, and my cellphone into 1 handy-dandy device. I've never been all that interested in a dataplan to begin with. I do all my surfing on my home computer...
    As my user name implies, we've got the same objectives. My Newtons are just too old to keep running my calendar and contact databases, even though I *still* think they are the best PDAs ever made. And, I've hated Sprint as a disloyal but consistent user since they were Sprint Spectrum. I need a telephone-PDA which synchs with my computers. But, I can't imagine any more than incidental use of the Internet ... for the occasional out-of-pocket email and the lost-on-the-road visit to mapquest.com. I'm on-line from a PowerBook almost constantly. I suspect dialing into my user group's ISP will be good enough for my limited wireless needs. But, it's the folks at the user group who tell me I'm going to fall in love with surfing by Treo. So, if VZW gives me a free trial, I'll take the opportunity.
    I would definitely suggest getting the unlimited data plan. Having all that power in your hands, but then having to regulate yourself is kind of like buying a Ferrari, and then deciding you're going to limit your driving to just using 3 gallons of gas a week. You'll go crazy, fast. With all the awesome mobile websites out there, and Verichat for IM, and picture blogging, and streaming radio - man the list goes on and on.

You're going to get a speed machine - don't limit yourself man!! Jump in all the way!
    Hey folks, look at this on the vzw web site, they added the 650 to their phone pictures database (I have checked this once a week for the past couple of months and got a this page does not exist until today).

http://cache.vzw.com/images_b2c/phones/lg/treo_650.jpg
    i asked a salesperson today, 5.8.05, and he said may 29-30th for the treo 650.
    Looked at VzW BlackBerry 7250 today. Decided it wasn't for me. I'll stay with my 600 until VzW 650 is available. My message title states what I was told.

Acording to rep, 650 will be $400 with 2-year commitment. FWIW, was also told to get it in store rather than online as salespersons have ability to find possible discounts not available online [not to mention they get commission].

Re: the BB ... After reading up on it, thought it could meet my business needs. I won't go into its high points, except to say that I thought I'd like its jog dial rather than Treo's 5-way nav. I didn't -- 5-way is much more comfortable. VzW rep asked if I'd seen Wash. Post article about BB users complaining of arthritis in their jog dial thumb.

Found the grass isn't greener on the BB side of the fence. I'll be with those of you getting the VzW 650 in a couple of weeks ... hopefully.
    My local VZW-CC store rep said May 23rd. It's the first firm date any Verizon rep has given me to this point. I guess the release is more or less imminent now.

Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlissner
    Hey folks, look at this on the vzw web site, they added the 650 to their phone pictures database (I have checked this once a week for the past couple of months and got a this page does not exist until today).

http://cache.vzw.com/images_b2c/phones/lg/treo_650.jpg
    It's soooo pretty!!! Thanks for the link!!! I got my fix now!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton convert
    As my user name implies, we've got the same objectives. My Newtons are just too old to keep running my calendar and contact databases, even though I *still* think they are the best PDAs ever made. And, I've hated Sprint as a disloyal but consistent user since they were Sprint Spectrum. I need a telephone-PDA which synchs with my computers. But, I can't imagine any more than incidental use of the Internet ... for the occasional out-of-pocket email and the lost-on-the-road visit to mapquest.com. I'm on-line from a PowerBook almost constantly. I suspect dialing into my user group's ISP will be good enough for my limited wireless needs. But, it's the folks at the user group who tell me I'm going to fall in love with surfing by Treo. So, if VZW gives me a free trial, I'll take the opportunity.
    If I only have to try it & not commit to it for a contract term... I'll be all over it like white on rice. Otherwise I'll still take it w/out the add'l discount...
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Did you guys see the thread started by someone who already received their Verizon 650? I don't really care since I have my Cingular 650 but thought I'd let you know.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast