1.    #1  
    The screen on my Treo 650 cracked while the device was in my suit pocket -- honest to goodness. I didn't drop the thing and I've babied it since the day I got it -- I rarely even touch the screen.

Of course, I didn't have insurance. (Yes, I'm that dumb.)

And Sprint sent me to the Sprint Store where I was told that the warranty had been voided. (Tough luck for me, in that I had been living with ongoing software/firmware problems on this, my third 650.) Sprint doesn't repair the phones.

I think that the screen crack was due to a defect.

Has anyone had a similar problem? What options do I have?

The device works -- the crack is down in the lower right corner and doesn't obscure much of the screen.

Do I limp along and wait for a 700?

Any assistance (or words of encouragement) are welcome.
    Limp along until you can shell out for the next model or a replacement 650. ALWAYS buy the insurance for a phone that $$$!! The "free" basic Nokia - don't bother over insurance, but a $600 phone (before rebates) - buy the freaking INSURANCE!
    I can replace the screen for $175.00
    Sprint DOES repair phones. However, you must find a store that has a qualified technician and the parts in stock. Sprint will repair the display on regular phones for $50. Go to SprintPCS.com and use the store locator function. Call all store listed as "Sales and Service" and inquire whether or not their technician can repair phones. Then ask if they have a display for the Treo.
    MisterFuhrman and dansamy have said all that needs to be said on this one.

Using a non-qualified tech to repair your Treo will invalidate any existing warranty and would even invalidate the insurance if you had it.
  6.    #6  
    Wow! Thank you for the guidance.

I'll find a Sprint Store that can do the repair.

Then I'll get insurance.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    what about getting the insurance today, waiting a week or so, then asking for a replacement? Does Sprint's insurance policy have any restrictions?

(Not that I would advocate anything illegal or unethical, of course).
    Well if someone wanted to attempt the crime of insurance fraud with a case like this they may not get their wish.

First there is a waiting period after signing up that is more than a couple weeks.

Second the policy exclusions mention that cracked displays are not covered.

Third on top of the $5 a month for insurance there is a $50 deductable and as MisterFuhrman mentioned Sprint repairs displays on other phones for $50. So it would be cheaper to see if Sprint could repair it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124
    what about getting the insurance today, waiting a week or so, then asking for a replacement? Does Sprint's insurance policy have any restrictions?

(Not that I would advocate anything illegal or unethical, of course).
    Well, this would be insurance fraud first of all. Secondly, you have to add Sprint insurance within 30 days of the ESN's activation on your line of service. For future reference, Lock/Line will replace a phone with a cracked display; I've had it done before.

As Darnell said, your best bet would be a Sprint store. I'm willing to bet that if you find a store that will fix it, it may be more for a Treo screen because of the size and the fact that it has the digitizer. Call ahead to find out, and be sure to have them quote you a price.

Good luck!!
    Ok heres a question...if I have verizon service on a SPRINT treo 650. Lets say I do accidently crack my screen (knock on wood) Can I bring to to a Sprint store with a Tech/Repair center and have them repair it for a fee...Even though I am not using sprint service...if I pay them out of pocket...I mean P1 Would want alot of money to repair....input plz