Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I want the SX66(the much better version of the PPC-6600) for my 1st line phone, but only Cingular carries it. But Cingular appears to have(by the posts here) billing problems and higher plans.

But Sprint hasn't always been accurate with the billing either. They sometimes call me to inform me I owe a payment when I DON'T. And I'm tired of miserable reception. I call my friend, he's a Sprint customer too. Static and hollow sounding. Cingular, loud and clear(a least in Chicago). Not to mention the unhelpful Sprint CS agent, when this poor guy had lost his Sprint phone. I had to wait for the guy's son to call the phone so I could relay the message that he lost it.

The only thing that would keep me with Sprint, is Sprint's data plan. But the PPC-6600 is lacking the quad band world phone and Wi-Fi(main reason I'm sold) of it's cousin. So what do you all think? Should I just wait for the next version of the PPC-6600 to add Wi-Fi before I dump Sprint? This may be like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire if all these Cingular problems I read about come true for me. I just signed up at Cingular for my 2nd line, but it hasn't even been a month.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    So...if you got the SX66, would you no longer be a TreoCentrist? That would suck because, damn, i would miss those lips. WOW!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Hey. Isn't Verizon getting the 650 soon? I thought I read that somewhere. ; )
    Lady lips are nicer than monkey lips . Insertion - dump the T650 in place of Lady Treo, so she can stay .

(Just kidding. The monkey is pretty funny .)

You won't see me stand up for Sprint's customer service. But then again you won't see me stand up for Cingular either.
  5.    #5  
    That is my problem too Darnell, neither is all that good, LOL! Now I still love the Treo(best phone I've had in a LONG time), I just need 2 lines and really don't want to have them on the same phone. I wanted to try a PPC also. I'm just not that enthused about Sprint's PPC model when it's cousin is better equiped.

Thank you Darnell and Insertion for the lip compliments !
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    First and foremost should be coverage and service. So if Cingular can provide you with much better call quality than Sprint where you use the phone the most, it's a no brainer, to me at least. Lucky for me, Sprint works great in my area.
  7.    #7  
    It would be a no-brainer were it not for Cingular horror stories posted on here. $1000 bill on a supposed unlimited Media plan? Cingular putting you down for the wrong plan(usually in their favor)? People saying they get 3 different answers from 3 different CS agents? When they try to get their bill adjusted properly, Cingular sometimes "forgets" until they have to call again. You have to watch your bill online due to overcharges?

That's why I'm worried I could be making a mistake. Maybe if they didn't offer yet another phone that has what I want, I might just stay with Sprint for my main line. Cingular already hooked me with the Treo, LOL! But if I dish out more money to port my main number over and I get socked with all the problems, I might be kicking myself regardless of how good the phone or the coverage is. I don't want to be on the phone arguing over a $1K bill! I already had to ask Sprint to check my balance BEFORE they call or text to pester me to make a payment, then find out I paid already! But Cingular's billing seems even worse.

So I have to ask myself, do I deal with a potential Devil for a good phone and coverage, or stay with Sprint because I know what to expect? If only they'd get the model that has Wi-Fi and no camera, I'd stay, even if it is a CDMA phone. I'd just get the GSM Treo unlocked before going to Europe. But that quad band plus Wi-Fi on the Cingular model is sweet! And that one is supposed to be unlocked out of the box. But I may end up waiting to see if Sprint will get the newer model and hopefully it will at least have the Wi-Fi.

P.S. I forgot: Sprint does work in this area, it's just mediocre. I drop calls or can't hear people or they can't hear me. Not all the time, but enough to annoy me.

Lady, I lived in Chicago for a long time and dropped Sprint due to coverage problems mentioned above.

Cingular cs is all right once you talk with a knowledgeable one. This month my bill went from $199.98 to $98.46 after crediting the mistakes. Now, my account is in order and correct. That's with 3 lines, Unlimited MediaNet, Text Message package and MMS package.

Most of the people I talk with are still AT&T or Cingular, so the mobile-to-mobile feature is nice.

The cs rep I spoke with told me they now have 4 cs groups specifically assigned to deal with only billing PROBLEMS. They hope this will speed-up the past and prevent any future billing errors.
  9.    #9  
    My contract with Sprint is coming to an end soon. I still want to move, but I also don't want 2 of the same phone. Does anyone have an idea when companies usually advertise their new phones? I'm thinking summer or fall, but hopefully summer. I want to look at the newer lines of PPC.

After a few more weeks of travel I decided Sprint is not for me. You can't beat their pricing, but in the end VZW's superior coverage wins. Porting back to VZW today. I'll convert my Sprint T650 to VZW, and I'll hold out for the Samsung i730 before I decide if I want to use my promotional discount for a new phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I'm thinking summer or fall, but hopefully summer. I want to look at the newer lines of PPC.
    By that time the next version of Treo will probably be out. Or at least leaked .
    I have been with AT&T Wireless (Now I call them AT&Tingular) since 1982. Not one to "put all my eggs....", I also have a Verizon line (via OnStar) and I have had Sprint and Nextel. With the Nextel, I'd receive a call and tell the caller "Lemme call you back on another line" and then use the AT&Tingular. The Sprint cost more money cause the service here wasn't that good and I'd have to make several calls to get 1 call's worth of work done and not many of my calls were freebies as most of the people I do business with are on AT&Tingular or Verizon.

BTW, I just ported all my local land lines from Verizon to AT&T and am ith AT&T for both Long Distance and Local calls. LD on my two home office and 1 residential lines is $29 for all 3 lines and the local is $31 for the 1st line and $20-something for the others.

So having had experience with all these carriers, I'd have to say that AT&Tingular CS department is pretty whacky right now. The merger has half the people trying to unlearn what they knew and learn new stuff so there is a lot of confusion. Ina ddition, the software which "ports" the old AT&T accounts to new Cingular accounts keeps dropping things. That is if you had an AT&T account and you move it to Cingular, a lot of your "features" are being dropped. Inconvenient to have to call and fix it but no one gives you a hard time about it. Two issues I haven't yet gotten addressed are:

1) If you bare on "pay as you go" data plan, how do you check your minutes ? ....doesn't show on "my account". BTW, spoke to someone yesterday on that plan and he says that after 4 months, he's never been charged for a minute of data usage.

2) All the freebie servcies aren't listed on the "available features" portion of web site. All the $ ones are like $2.99 or whatever for special voice mail, $24.99 MediaNet, etc but "call waiting / forwarding / caller ID, etc....none f these are listed and if ya don';t see 'em, how do ya know to ask for them. For example, there';s afeature to sue such that when ya call soemone whose line is busy, you can make it redial every so often till ya get thru....not that I know how to use it <grin>
    Lady Treo,

Once you are month to month with your Sprint account, make that work for you! That way, you hold the cards and not the other way around.

Once month to month, Explain to Sprint what is happening and tell them you were considering jumping to another carrier but haven't decided yet. Be really nice, of course. They may chomp at the bit to get you to stay, like give you night and weekends at 7 or 8pm, vision for $10/month, reduce your bill by 5% a month, both, or maybe all three.

The other thing to consider is that Sprint will be upgrading its data service by the end of this year, early next. The improvements in service might be worth sticking around. The merger with Nextel might make things interesting as well from a consumer perspective. Sometimes (not always), patience has its rewards. That's just my two cents!
    ###
    IMHO, every carrier has their issues, and problems, whether billing or coverage, but the most important thing is whether that carrier has everythign you want. (if you read the recent consumer reports, tmobile and verizon ranked the lowest in complaints) Now im holding my breath (and been holding for a while) for sprint to hopefully carry the Samsung i730. Though it's more likely the i730 is going to come out for verizon first.. The Samsung i730 has all the fixins i want (bluetooh, evdo, wifi, large color screen, slider and qwerty keyboard ; along with sd card slot, camer and removeable battery). though it sounds like you want world wide coverage, I know samsung has a i830, that is both cdma and GSM capable (but i heard does not have wifi) Cingular sounds like a great way to do that. Though Edge hasn't been fully implemented, and Europe uses UMTS . The SX66, was an option i was considering when i was thinking to swap over, but honestly, waht kept me to sprint was that knowing how well their data serivces are, in terms of speed and reliablilty. What im getting at is that if you are also concerned about data , then it wil likely be a while till cingular comes out with a full on 3G data service, like what verizon and their broadband access, and spritn with their evdo roll out imminent. Meaning more money, and another phone.

If data isn't an issue, go with cingular. though the only drawback is that, the phone only supports gprs and no edge built in. So you would have to go through configuring and finding hotspots around wherever you are.

Stay with sprint , or at least go with Verizon if you want to stick with a company that has fast reliable high speed data.
    The lack of high speed "mobile" data is the deal breaker on the SX66. WiFi is nice, but it eats the battery and is nowhere near as ubiquitous as EDGE or 1XRTT. I was under the impression that the Verzion PPC6600 had EVDO built in, but I might be mistaken. In either case, my next move - to whatever carrier - will be to a device that has 3G data (EVDO or UMTS), WiFi, Bluetooth, and all the other bells and whistles I get with the 650.

Will most likely be a PPC, though I'm loathe to carry a Windoze device around with me...but with Palm being their only serious competition, the market is MS's to lose.
    Indicator, yes, the PPC-6600 for verizon does support EV-DO.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    The lack of high speed "mobile" data is the deal breaker on the SX66. WiFi is nice, but it eats the battery and is nowhere near as ubiquitous as EDGE or 1XRTT. I was under the impression that the Verzion PPC6600 had EVDO built in, but I might be mistaken. In either case, my next move - to whatever carrier - will be to a device that has 3G data (EVDO or UMTS), WiFi, Bluetooth, and all the other bells and whistles I get with the 650.

Will most likely be a PPC, though I'm loathe to carry a Windoze device around with me...but with Palm being their only serious competition, the market is MS's to lose.
    I'm no longer considering the SX66. I guess I'll have to keep looking. I'll probably have to wait till the next round of smartphones debut. I'm still not happy with Sprint, but it looks like I'm stuck with them for now.

I'm no longer considering the SX66. I guess I'll have to keep looking. I'll probably have to wait till the next round of smartphones debut. I'm still not happy with Sprint, but it looks like I'm stuck with them for now.
    Woohooo!! Those lips will still be here!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  19.    #19  
    Don't worry Insertion, I still have my 2nd line on Treo 650 with Cingular, so I'll be here!

I'm just wondering what to do with the 1st line. Maybe I'll wait for the Treo 700, but how do you sync 2 Palms on 1 PC? Name 1 folder Palm2 or something?

Don't worry Insertion, I still have my 2nd line on Treo 650 with Cingular, so I'll be here!

I'm just wondering what to do with the 1st line. Maybe I'll wait for the Treo 700, but how do you sync 2 Palms on 1 PC? Name 1 folder Palm2 or something?
    Lady Treo

We have a similar issue here where i work at our law school. Although it's not two treo's, but we had to face how to update two smartdevices. Make note, our professor uses "outlook" rather than the palm desktop software. The professor has both a treo 600 and a blackberry 7210. The treo synchronizes normally, with intellisync pointing to outlook or whatever pim. and on our blackberry, we told it to only update, and configure the blackberry's intellisync to have the "outlook or pim" to win if any conflict arises when the blackberry is having issues. Since our professor uses the blackberry for emails and data (rarely for phone) this makes sense just to tell it to only update it from the Pim or outlook program, instead of synchronizing (i.e. one way from computer to smartdevice). Though we also tested the blackberry when we set it for "synchronize" and it worked normally, with a couple of small issues (i.e. notes translations, "other fileds, etc.) . In other words, Intellisync just needs to be carefully configured for two devices to work. and make sure to always make backup copies of your database on your pim or contact management program in case something get's corrupted in the process.

But getting down to the essentials, it depends what you use for your contact management. If you are using outlook, then setting up intellisync can solve this problem. If you use palmdesktop, when i had both my treo 600 and 650 , i just made sure that both devices had the same name, and was able to update both, without a hitch, i just had to make sure we backupe the database, because we ran into a problem with our db on a sync that went bad. all in all, i'ts possible.
    Last edited by hcheun; 04/27/2005 at 01:31 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast