Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Or so the rumor goes: check this
    Saw that article on Engadget last night. I worry about it though. The comments people are making is that the company is a bit fishy. Hope they're wrong though!! I want a TREO 650!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Stopped at my local VZW corp store today. Sales rep who just got back from training (I didn't ask him if he saw it) says it looks like mid-May for the 650.
    That's his educated guess from where it is in final testing.
    One more month, c'mon, fly by! : )
    another Treo650 for verizon thread??
  5. fnj
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I have to say I don't quite get why everyone is so excited about the 650 on Verizon. Is it just that so many people already have Verizon and want to upgrade their phones on their existing plans, or is there something else that I am missing.

I ask because my Cingular contract ends on May 15 (thank God) and I am planning to move to Sprint and by a 650 there. Their plans are inexpensive and, at least at the Treo store, their phone is the least expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by fnj
    I have to say I don't quite get why everyone is so excited about the 650 on Verizon. Is it just that so many people already have Verizon and want to upgrade their phones on their existing plans, or is there something else that I am missing.

I ask because my Cingular contract ends on May 15 (thank God) and I am planning to move to Sprint and by a 650 there. Their plans are inexpensive and, at least at the Treo store, their phone is the least expensive.
    I've had a Sprint phone on a month-to-month basis since before they had a PCS network. I've hated them for almost that long. My daughter and my wife tease me, because I've complained about the holes in their network, their useless and offensive customer service, and their inscrutable bills for what seems like my college girl's entire life. But, I haven't wanted to spend the time researching a change, and I haven't wanted to commit to a contract with someone else only to be ticked off at them, too. It seems that everyone loves to hate their cellular phone provider. But, I've loved to hate Sprint.

I considered Cingular/AT&T because their phones are more compatible in my relatively rare trips to Europe or Africa. But, my daughter tells me that the Cingular phones her friends use at college are often roaming. Cingular provides what they call "free roaming," but they redefine the term "roaming" so that the term is meaningless. Even with the merger, the Cingular/AT&T GSM network is reported to provide significantly less coverage than Verizon Wireless. The coverage maps used by each of the providers is an industry-wide joke, and all of the providers are fighting efforts to make them provide honest maps. There is therefore scant evidence of who has the best network, but the plurality of users seem to like VZW much better.

I'm no Verizon fan. Indeed, I dumped their land-line services in favor of AT&T at one of my offices. But, Verizon isn't VZW, and business is business. They seem to be the best choice for reliability according to more people in my unreliable, subjective polling.

And, I detest Sprint. Detest. (But, I'm not biased.)
  7. fnj
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Hmmm, thanks for the in depth reply. Maybe I need to hold out to see what Tmobile ends up doing. Technically, I'm actually an ATT customer, having escaped from Cingular only to be recaptured in the merger. The customer service stinks and I get lots of dropped calls.

Isn't there some sort of addon to Sprint that lets you roam Verizon? I'd probably head to Verizon, but, as best I can tell, their unlimited data plan is $50/month.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton convert
    I've had a Sprint phone on a month-to-month basis since before they had a PCS network. I've hated them for almost that long. My daughter and my wife tease me, because I've complained about the holes in their network, their useless and offensive customer service, and their inscrutable bills for what seems like my college girl's entire life. But, I haven't wanted to spend the time researching a change, and I haven't wanted to commit to a contract with someone else only to be ticked off at them, too. It seems that everyone loves to hate their cellular phone provider. But, I've loved to hate Sprint.

I considered Cingular/AT&T because their phones are more compatible in my relatively rare trips to Europe or Africa. But, my daughter tells me that the Cingular phones her friends use at college are often roaming. Cingular provides what they call "free roaming," but they redefine the term "roaming" so that the term is meaningless. Even with the merger, the Cingular/AT&T GSM network is reported to provide significantly less coverage than Verizon Wireless. The coverage maps used by each of the providers is an industry-wide joke, and all of the providers are fighting efforts to make them provide honest maps. There is therefore scant evidence of who has the best network, but the plurality of users seem to like VZW much better.

I'm no Verizon fan. Indeed, I dumped their land-line services in favor of AT&T at one of my offices. But, Verizon isn't VZW, and business is business. They seem to be the best choice for reliability according to more people in my unreliable, subjective polling.

And, I detest Sprint. Detest. (But, I'm not biased.)
    I just switched to verizon from Nextel, I am very pleased. It was between Verizon and Sprint... after much debate, I chose verizon and am glad I did so, they get my vote.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I've been with VZW since they were PrimeCo... My wife and other in-laws have been with various companies. All of the customer disservice seems to be pretty bad across the board, and I think the actual CS you get is mostly up to chance.

On the customer service side, I have had a relatively good experience with VZW, but my wife hates them so much she refuses to talk to them if there is a problem, she just gives me her phone to work it out.

On the connectivity side, they provide better coverage in my area than the other companies. I can't count the number of times I've had to loan my phone to a friend who's ATT, Cingular, MetroPCS, or Sprint phone couldn't get a signal, but I also know that is a function of many factors.

In the end the slow roll out of new technology irritates my, but the stability of the network and the devices they ultimate release is pretty good.

And, so I wait to trade my VZW Treo600 for a VZW Treo650...
    Last edited by ExDis; 04/14/2005 at 01:38 PM. Reason: fix spelling errors, I hope
    me too
    Quote Originally Posted by ExDis
    I've been with VZW since they were PrimeCo... My wife and other in-laws have been with various companies. All of the customer disservice seems to be pretty bad across the board, and I think the actual CS you get is mostly up to chance.

On the customer service side, I have had a relatively good experience with VZW, but my wife hates them so much she refuses to talk to them if there is a problem, she just gives me her phone to work it out.

On the connectivity side, they provide better coverage in my area than the other companies. I can't count the number of times I've had to loan my phone to a friend who's ATT, Cingular, MetroPCS, or Sprint phone couldn't get a signal, but I also know that is a function of many factors.

In the end the slow roll out of new technology irritates my, but the stability of the network and the devices they ultimate release is pretty good.

So you have a T600 on VZW? What data plan do you have and how much is it?
    i spoke to a verizon rep and told them sprints unlimtied data plan was $15. she said it is really not unlimited as is the verizon for 40 bucks. she said verizon's plan similar to sprint was called the national pda access which included mobile web browsing(cannot sent files),500 txt messages and picture messaging which is perfect for me. i don't need high speed internet as i am near a pc most of the day. has anyone heard of this plan from vzw. cost is $9.99 per the woman.
    For me it is a function of several things - my new firm will pay for my cell phone (mostly business use) and my data plan. I currently do not have a blackberry or smartphone and as a longtime Palm user I am inclined towards the Treo. I am currently a Verizon customer for one simple reason, the areas in which I travel, and equally importantly my wife travels often alone with my son, are only covered thoroughly by Verizon (particulalry the trip to grandparents house on the eastern shore of Maryland). I had Cingular and it was a disgrace - at the time the entire state of Virginia was a dead zone. With the merger it may have improved but even locally Verizon simply has the most extensive network. Additionally - all my family members with whom 95% of my personal calls are made are Verizon customers and fall under the in-network calling so I can transfer the majority of my cost to my firm. So I can't really get rid of Verizon totally so to have a Sprint 650 would basically mean having to continue to carry the cost of my Verizon phone and carry two phones at once - not really efficient.

Why the 650? Everyone tells me the wait is worth it - particulary since this is a device I plan on keeping for quite a while - the higher res screen and bluetooth accessories for car use are attractive - and the changeable battery. Memory is a bit disappointing but if I'm going to get one this appears to be the unit. But the long time delay and unwillingness of Verizon to commit to a release day is frustrating to say the least.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    The Treo 650 just is a really great unit. I liked it so much I went and signed up with Cingular to get the phone. The phone was GREAT but the service was awful. I'm in greater LA area and Cingular STINKS compared to Verizon. So, I sent it all back and figured, someday........Now Verizon is going to have it and WAHOO! I'm there dude!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the worm
    So you have a T600 on VZW? What data plan do you have and how much is it?
    When I initially purchased the Treo 600, I got the "PDA Unlimited" plan for $49.99 USD, because I know how I am. It was a new plaything, and I knew I would be tinkering with it quite a bit. I had over 100 MB of data usage the first month and a little less the second month.

During the third month, I changed to the "5 MB" $29.99 USD plan, as my main e-mail account was a Hotmail account, and I could not find a combination of services and software that I liked to access my e-mail. I cruised along with that plan with little trouble, only rarely going over the allotment, and then only for a couple of dollars each month.

Then I acquired a G-Mail account and purchased SnapperMail to access e-mail. I had SnapperMail checking for new messages every 20 minutes, and all of my contacts had been migrated over to my new e-mail account. That month I greatly exceeded my 5MB usage allotment. To the tune of $179.00 USD just for excess usage (the rate is $0.008/KB ). The $179.00 was above the family share plan for my wife and myself, and the other taxes, fees and plan charges. A nasty surprise to say the least.

I have switched back to the $49.99 USD "PDA Unlimited" plan, and have not had any other unpleasant surprises, but I also make sure not to violate the acceptable use agreement (too blatantly with PDAnet).

All I can say, is you have to carefully evaluate your usage and be honest with yourself about how much it costs. I am reimbursed for my cellular usage by my employer, and they we a bit irritated with the spike, but they paid it, and I took it as a lesson.

As always, your mileage most certainly will vary.
    Last edited by ExDis; 04/15/2005 at 03:41 PM. Reason: fix spelling errors, I hope...
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton convert

As for the roaming, CSR's from AT&T getting retrained or the new employees who were saying "you want fries with that" the week before, are having trouble with switched accounts. If you come ove from AT&T on one of the national (free roaming) plans for example, for some reason almost everyone starts getting charged for roaming even though it's free. Must be some kinda bug in their database conversion software. So far I have had to call and get roaming charges removed from2 of our 4 phones.

As one who has both, I can definitively say that AT&Tingular has the widest coverage, at least where I tarvel through the northeast. I have the Treo on AT&Tingular and Verizon on the OnStar service and I have to drive 2.5 miles from my home / office here on eastern Long Island to get a Verizon signal even with Onstar. Last week upstate New York, I was the only one who had service out on Rennslearville .... no Cingular phones worked, no AT&T, No Verizon, yet I was able t get on the Verizon network thru OnStar ......word got out that I had "found a spot" but when people crowded around where my car was parked none f the Verizon phones could get a call out.

I travel from Maine to Maryland with emloyees / associates on other carriers and the other carriers get blanked more often than AT&Tingular. Can't quite figure out though why the Verizon access thru OnStar gets thru when regular Verizon phones can't. Perhaps it has something to do with the satellite link up.
  17.    #17  
    yeah that verizon lady is clueless!that $15 data plan on Sprint IS unlimited. I have it for $10 & it includes unlimited sms, picture/video mail as well!! hahahahah
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Sprint definitly has less expensive plans, and if they have the coverage you need, they could be a good fit. It all depends on what you need.
    On howardforums.com, vzwemployee says the Treo 650 will be out for b2b (biz customers) on May 2 and the rest of us poor slobs on June 6.
    In the past, vzw's posts have been very accurate.
    There has to be a way to get around this. I can't wait another month!
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Is VZW the cheapest? Absolutely not. Is their customer service terrible at times? You bet. So why do I stay? Hands down for the coverage. I travel all the time, and they seem to have the best coverage nationally. That has been my experience, and that is what Consumer Reports found in their recent report on cellular carriers.

I will be interested to see when the 650 actually arrives. I got a 600 from VZW in January and was told then that they had no plans to get the 650. I'm very happy with my 600 (well I am happy with my second one...my first one didn't work but it was within the first two weeks so I was able to swap at the VZW store) and not planning to get a 650 for now. Obviously I am in the minority...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast