Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've searched & netted nothing.

Is it required that you have to purchase a data plan in order to purchase the Treo 650 on Verizon???

I hope not as I don't do or need data. I will not pay more on a data plan than I pay for my calling plan. Please advise...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    You don't need one on the 600, doubt you'd need on the 650...

Erik
    can anyone else confirm this...it's basically the only thing holding me back right now.
    I believe for new users Verizon requires a data plan if you will be using data (email, web, etc) You won't need one if you're not accessing data of course.
    Call a verizon rep (make sure to get their name) and check. Unfortunately you may need to cal la few since very few understand the data concept, let alone the option to do it by voice.
    they have a pay as you go..its free if u dont use data
    just get that
    and dont use any wireless features
    I just had to get a replacement one (had a spring working on verizon but it crapped out). When buying they told me I have to have to have a data plan. I already had one. My boss had the same thing, they force you to have one now.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by allenling
    can anyone else confirm this...it's basically the only thing holding me back right now.
    yeah... that could be a sticking point if I have to get a $45/mth data plan I won't use. That'd be a big bummer!!!
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I just got a 600 with verizon and went through some of the same issues. The fact is you have to have a data plan but you can get the pay as you go plan which is free if you don't use and data services. The confusion comes from the fact that 2 out of 3 phone reps. don't understand data plans or how verizon bills for them. If you want to see how it should work just try to set up new service online and you will see the pay as you go service added to you service plan when you select a treo 600.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I had no problem refusing the data plan and getting "pay as you go".

I'm pissed off that Verizon killed off CSD data (aka QNC), their low-speed 14.4 service where usage is taken from your minutes. I'm using dialup to an Earthlink account instead. (The phone supports CSD data, it's just that if you try to use QNC, Verizon + the Treo will automatically switch to 1xRTT mode.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy

I'm pissed off that Verizon killed off CSD data (aka QNC), their low-speed 14.4 service where usage is taken from your minutes. I'm using dialup to an Earthlink account instead. (The phone supports CSD data, it's just that if you try to use QNC, Verizon + the Treo will automatically switch to 1xRTT mode.)

QNC works fine on my Treo. Using it for 2-3 months, no data charges, only minutes.

Erik
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tifosiv122
    QNC works fine on my Treo. Using it for 2-3 months, no data charges, only minutes.

Erik
    Perhaps because you have an older plan. QNC boots me to 1xRTT immediately, I bought the phone and changed plans back around March 8, which was 2-3 weeks after Verizon put the final nail in the coffin for EN-MOU. They may likely have killed off QNC for new users at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy
    I just got off the phone with my local Radio Shack Verizon salesman. I had stopped in yesterday to see if they'd heard about ETA at their store and to learn about using a third party dial-up ISP or the $5 plan mentioned in another thread here. They called out the in-store "Verizon expert," and he promised to check with his distributor.

He got back to me today. According to him, I can dial-up my ISP if I want. He will not be required to sell a data plan with the phone. (Multiple sources, including the rep, say that voice services to an outside ISP are unreliable and slow. This is caused by the parsing of the voice packets, which is not optimized for data.) He also says that the $4.99/mo. pay-in-minutes data plan can be sold with the Treo 650. He was not sure, but he assumed this gets you to the 1xRTT network.

So, what is this no-monthly-fee pay-by-minute deal others are mentioning?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton convert
    I just got off the phone with my local Radio Shack Verizon salesman. I had stopped in yesterday to see if they'd heard about ETA at their store and to learn about using a third party dial-up ISP or the $5 plan mentioned in another thread here. They called out the in-store "Verizon expert," and he promised to check with his distributor.

He got back to me today. According to him, I can dial-up my ISP if I want. He will not be required to sell a data plan with the phone. (Multiple sources, including the rep, say that voice services to an outside ISP are unreliable and slow. This is caused by the parsing of the voice packets, which is not optimized for data.) He also says that the $4.99/mo. pay-in-minutes data plan can be sold with the Treo 650. He was not sure, but he assumed this gets you to the 1xRTT network.

So, what is this no-monthly-fee pay-by-minute deal others are mentioning?
    I just put a reply in the other thread here, which may or may not help answer your ?. Welcome to TC...
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I really hope the 650 will have the Broadband Access on the EV-DO network. Kyocera is coming out with a nice looking wireless modem/router that can either use a PC card or a USB connection to a phone that is equipped with the Broadband Access connection. Right now that's the Audiovox Pocket PC which can be used as a modem either through bluetooth or USB if you download the drivers seperate and it is unlimited if yout get the $49.99 plan. I would assume that the Treo 650, if EV-DO capable, would be set up the same. So if you get the data plan and the router you have essentially broadband on demand but not an always on connection if you use the 650 but then you also get the broadband connection on the 650 away from the computer and on a laptop anywhere in the country.

Here are some links to the Kyocera KR1 EV-DO router:

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/read...ge=9&category=

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/show...yocera_KR1.jpg
    i, too, have waiting for verizon to get the treo 650, rahter than switch to cingular. i have an old startac which i would like to upgrade. everytime i go into any number of verizon stores in northern NJ, they tell me (for the treo 600 anyway) that the data plan is REQUIRED. i only want to use the phone as a palm organizer and phone.
    i am confused and frustrated. (i probably should get a life)
    me, bad.
    i just logged onto verizon wireles, placed an order for a treo 600 and could order it without the data plan. pay as you go as stated above.
    i will wait for the 650 and continue with verizon.
    thanx to all for the information
    I can't get my 650 to work with Verizon, the phone part works fine but I can't access the web. Do you know how I might be able to?
    A rep (apparently wrongly) told me that you could access internet on Treo 650 using your voice minutes. As that apparently isn't true, are there any "fixes" that let you download e-mail using voice minutes?
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC VZ guy
    A rep (apparently wrongly) told me that you could access internet on Treo 650 using your voice minutes. As that apparently isn't true, are there any "fixes" that let you download e-mail using voice minutes?
    I highly recommend people who don't like being extorted by Verizon for $45/month for data look for a cheap dial-up. If you aren't doing heavy web browsing, like only getting email, this works for only costing the ISP fees and minutes used.

Just an example, not a plug: http://www.allvantage.com/content/plus.asp

I even have my gmail account set to forward a text message when I get new emails directly to my phone. It works for letting me know when I have new email (and sometimes an idea about the content) without having an always on connection.

My $0.02
    Dial-up ISP doesn't work on VZW 650, I know, I tried.
    If anyone else knows an in, share the knowledge.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast