Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Why buy an expensive smartphone and not use the Internet? It is the purpose of the phone. Being connected is what makes it so worth it.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Data is usually delayed. Check again in about 24 hours and see if there's a change.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Why buy an expensive smartphone and not use the Internet? It is the purpose of the phone. Being connected is what makes it so worth it.
    It's not necessarily the purpose for everyone...some folks just want a convergence device....i.e. a phone and a pda in one.
    I need the ability to access data, not to be reachable by email all the time. I tried chatter, and with the battery drain and missed calls due to the data connection, it really doesn't meet my needs.

I have a desk job for the most part, so I'm rarely too far from my email. When I need mobile access is on the weekends. I like to be able to check email once in a while, update weather, be able to use Directory Assistant to get numbers, etc. So for me, free night & weekends and my grandfathered MOU works pretty well for me.

Sure I might use it more often if I had a full data plan, but I'm not inclined to pay $45 for it. If Verizon came down on the price of the unlimited plan, I'd consider it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberBec
    From the main menu, I went to Prefs, then Network. From the Network screen, I pressed the menu button and chose New. I entered a name for my connection inthe Service line, chose Virtual Modem for the Connection, and entered my username, password, and phone number for dial-up, and clicked done.

After you've entered the new Network connection, you click Connect on that same screen to test the connection.

After setting up your new dial-up Network connection, when you start Blazer, in the Service Connection Progress window, you should see text that says "Connecting to xxx" where xxx is the name of the new Network Service you entered above.

If you try it, let me know if you think that email and web usage using dial-up will also cost per kb in addition to minutes used...

CyberBec,

Thanks for this post, have been looking for this very thing. I am trying to connect to my Roadrunner account, however when I get to test the connection in your instructions I get a connection error. Would you know if we have to do anything with Verizon to set this up? Also way back when I did the same with regular modems there was a way to monitor the actual connection process so you could tell if you needed to create a script. Thought this might help tell what the issue was. Any ideas one either of these things?

TIA

d
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    It's not necessarily the purpose for everyone...some folks just want a convergence device....i.e. a phone and a pda in one.
    That'd be me!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=85399

Post #6

Using this I'm successfully using RR dialup.

Quote Originally Posted by rahenkamp
    CyberBec,

Thanks for this post, have been looking for this very thing. I am trying to connect to my Roadrunner account, however when I get to test the connection in your instructions I get a connection error. Would you know if we have to do anything with Verizon to set this up? Also way back when I did the same with regular modems there was a way to monitor the actual connection process so you could tell if you needed to create a script. Thought this might help tell what the issue was. Any ideas one either of these things?

TIA

d
    I didn't need to do anything other than the steps I listed. For username, did you just put your username, or username@ispname.com? I had to use username@ispname.com to get it to work.
    Also, under Details... (the button at the bottom of the screen) in Preferences for your ISP connection you set up, is Idle Timeout set to 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, or Never? Mine is set to Never.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlwhitt
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=85399

Post #6

Using this I'm successfully using RR dialup.
    You posted this about 3 weeks ago...have you received a bill yet? If so, is it using minutes like it "suppose" to? I have roadrunner here in North Carolina and my wife loves VZW....if this works, I may just stay with them.
    Yes I've been billed. This does use minutes for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    You posted this about 3 weeks ago...have you received a bill yet? If so, is it using minutes like it "suppose" to? I have roadrunner here in North Carolina and my wife loves VZW....if this works, I may just stay with them.
    For those that are having trouble with dialing up...I finally got a dialup connection to go thru by playing with the script. I know nothing about scripts or programming so I was just playing around trying to figure out how to keep the connection establishing before the red phone light went off (I assumed it was timing out). I think adding "prompt" to the script is what kept everything going. When it prompted me I just entered "go". Let me know if it works for you. Good luck all...

This is what my script is...

Send CR:
    Send CR:
    Send CR:
    Send User ID:
    Send CR:
    Send Password:
    Send CR:
    Prompt:
    End:
    I upgraded from a LG LX4500 to Treo 650 (Just Upgraded the Phone Online - No Changes to Contract) on 05/25 and used the web many times during night and weekends.
    I used the #3282 (#DATA) to find the data usage but it is still saying Estimate as of 05/27 6:12 PM and it only shows my text messages usage and does not give any information about Data.

Does this mean that I am on MOU for Data or Will I be charged for the data at a later time?

Update: I just checked the usage using #DATA (#3282) and now it says

Estimate as of 06/05 10:46 PM.

But it only shows the Usage of Text Messages. No Data Usage is shown.
    DesiGeek,

Here's how it is supposed to work:

I got my Treo last Thursday and I used it for 4 days. On Sunday I called them because when I checked my online account, it didn't list data anywhere and I noticed that my minutes jumped by 300. They noticed that the data plan WAS NOT added to the account when it was supposed to, so I was just using my plan minutes (MOU) to access the internet.

Anyway, on Sunday they added the data plan to my account and now on the Account Overview screen, there is a separate section, right under the minutes used, that tells you the exact amount of data that you have used. If you don't have that, you undoubtedbly will be using your min. for access.
    Quote Originally Posted by slorandy
    For those that are having trouble with dialing up...I finally got a dialup connection to go thru by playing with the script. I know nothing about scripts or programming so I was just playing around trying to figure out how to keep the connection establishing before the red phone light went off (I assumed it was timing out). I think adding "prompt" to the script is what kept everything going. When it prompted me I just entered "go". Let me know if it works for you. Good luck all...

This is what my script is...

Send CR:
    Send CR:
    Send CR:
    Send User ID:
    Send CR:
    Send Password:
    Send CR:
    Prompt:
    End:

What ISP are you using?
    My ISP is sbcglobal.net
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    just a followup (Yes I am stalking you ).

I tried this and it worked for me as well.

Also sbcglobal.net
    Has anyone been successful using AOL dialup? I haven't.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdynsty25
    DesiGeek,

Here's how it is supposed to work:

I got my Treo last Thursday and I used it for 4 days. On Sunday I called them because when I checked my online account, it didn't list data anywhere and I noticed that my minutes jumped by 300. They noticed that the data plan WAS NOT added to the account when it was supposed to, so I was just using my plan minutes (MOU) to access the internet.

Anyway, on Sunday they added the data plan to my account and now on the Account Overview screen, there is a separate section, right under the minutes used, that tells you the exact amount of data that you have used. If you don't have that, you undoubtedbly will be using your min. for access.
    Thanks dbdynsty25

I am happy to know that I am on MOU for Data.
    Does anyone know of a program that would do the same thing as the "Treo Connection Manager" that will operate on the VZW650? I.E. automatically disconnecting the network after a certain amount of "time out".
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast