Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I'm considering this for my wife (not a heavy data user at all); the rep on the phone told me that she did not have to have a data plan, but that in addition to minutes of use, it will charge her 1.5 cents per kilobyte. Not sure how that will work out, I've read some horror stories of the phone polling for data when you think you have it off and the bill comes for hundreds of dollars. But, she did say no data plan was necessary. Also told me that I can continue to just do minutes of use on my Samsung i600 even if I upgrade my America's Choice plan to a newer one that's a little less expensive. Inconsistent? Yes. Can I count on it? No. Perhaps the wise thing is to make the switch with 5 days left in the billing cycle so that you see the bill while still in the 15-day worry free guarantee window.
    I can connect to my ISP. When I bought my VZ Treo 650, the VZ rep told me that if I did set it up for dial-up to my ISP, that I would still be charged per kb (.015/kb). I haven't tried asking another VZ rep yet to confirm, but I have watched my kb usage (via #3282), and my kb usage does not appear to have increased at all since I set up the 650 for my ISP.

Has anyone else confirmed whether there is or is not a per kb charge if you use a dial-up isp?
    CyberBec,
    How did you set it up?
    How fast is the connection?
    From the main menu, I went to Prefs, then Network. From the Network screen, I pressed the menu button and chose New. I entered a name for my connection inthe Service line, chose Virtual Modem for the Connection, and entered my username, password, and phone number for dial-up, and clicked done.

After you've entered the new Network connection, you click Connect on that same screen to test the connection.

After setting up your new dial-up Network connection, when you start Blazer, in the Service Connection Progress window, you should see text that says "Connecting to xxx" where xxx is the name of the new Network Service you entered above.

If you try it, let me know if you think that email and web usage using dial-up will also cost per kb in addition to minutes used...
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberBec
    I can connect to my ISP. When I bought my VZ Treo 650, the VZ rep told me that if I did set it up for dial-up to my ISP, that I would still be charged per kb (.015/kb).
    I was told the same thing when I set up my 600. No kb usage fees. Just becareful and make sure you are only connected when you want to be for minutes.

I don't know if they have done anything different for the 650, but the threat of kb usage for dial-up sounds like Verizon trying to scare people into paying their ridiculous data fees.
    It won't connect, it tries for about a minute, says it's connecting, then the indicator flashes from amber back to green.
    I entered the phone no. username, password, but it doesn't work.
    Maybe I should try mobile web?
    The first time I set mine up, I only entered my username and it wouldn't connect. Then I tried using "username@xxxxxxxx.com" (where xxx is your isp domain name) and it worked. Maybe you're doing the same thing?
    Still no luck
    Check these other settings:

On the main Network window there are three buttons, Done, Details, and Connect. Click on Details. There is one field on this screen Idle timeout:, mine is set to Never. There are three buttons on this screen OK, Cancel, and Advanced. Click the Advanced button. There are two fields on this screen IP Address: (Automatic is checked), and Query DNs: (is checked).
    I was told also when I got the 650 that you had to have a data plan to purchase phone. When the rep could not switch over my 7135 to the 650, the manager came over and re enter all my info and asked me if I wanted the data plan. I told him no and he switch the service over to the 650. I used my own provider on the 7135 and never had data service through Verizon.
    Check these other settings:

On the main Network window there are three buttons, Done, Details, and Connect. Click on Details. There is one field on this screen Idle timeout:, mine is set to Never. There are three buttons on this screen OK, Cancel, and Advanced. Click the Advanced button. There are two fields on this screen IP Address: (Automatic is checked), and Query DNs: (is checked).
    What about script?
    Also, should it be locked or unlocked when connecting?
    BTW, how fast are you connecting?
    Evidently a script isn't needed to connect to my ISP (cox). Maybe one is for your ISP?

I think that locked just means that it's protected from accidently changing the values, and that the only way the values (for network settings) can be changed is to click the Modify button.
    Sorry, I keep forgetting to answer re: speed. I don't know how to guage how fast it's connecting. It certainly /isn't/ fast. But it's good enough for me in order to avoid paying per kb or for a data plan.
    Sorry, I keep forgetting to answer re: speed. I don't know how to guage how fast it's connecting. It certainly /isn't/ fast. But it's good enough for me in order to avoid paying per kb or for a data plan.
    Thanks for trying, guess it just wasn't meant to be.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    No luck for me using SBC/Yahoo dial up. It gets to Signing on with the handshake and then the connection light starts blinking again, followed by it timing out.

Of course SBC is no help
    Before I found out that my broadband isp offers 5 hours of free dial-up, I had signed up with PeoplePC for their dial-up. They are currently offering unlimited dial-up for $4.97 per month for 3 months ($9.97 after that). I was able to successfully setup a dial-up with them also - again, no script needed.

Maybe you should at least try them...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Theta
    I highly recommend people who don't like being extorted by Verizon for $45/month for data look for a cheap dial-up. If you aren't doing heavy web browsing, like only getting email, this works for only costing the ISP fees and minutes used.
    I need help with settings. I got my new VZW Treo 650 last night. I ordered the unlimited data plan, but I want to test its speed against my own dial-up ISP from my user group. When I tried to modify the Network Prefs to use a third-party ISP for my Network, the phone indicated that it was locked, and that "This network service has been pre-installed by your mobile service provider, and cannot be edited."

How do I set up a dial-up network for my Treo? I know there is a DUN patch, but it seemed that that applies to using the Treo as a modem for another device, like my computer. Do I need that just to browse and check email on the Treo?

TIA.
    See post #24 in this thread.
    See post #24 in this thread.
    Thank you for tolerating that newbie question. RTFM was the correct answer, and I thank you for referring me to your prior posting (which I must've glossed right over somehow). I got the new set-up loaded. I need to play with it, because I keep getting a PPP Timeout errror. But, it is obvious that the phone is not locked against outside ISPs, but just *****-proofed from newbies. +<:-0

I'll play with it later tonight to see if can get it going. Thx for the prior posting and for cluing me to it instead of ignoring me.
    I had no luck using AOL dial up. If someone has been successful using AOL dial up, then please post how it was done. Thanks.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast