1.    #1  
    Does anyone know why Verizon doesn't offer EV-DO in the Bay Area?
    The SF Bay Area is the fifth largest metropolitan area in the US and is by far the largest population center where EV-DO isn't available.
    I've searched and can't find the answer in another thread, so thanks, in advance.
    It will get there. They are still expanding coverage. Just be patient, as I bet it won't be too awfully long.
    Verizon Wireless EVDO is available today in the following markets:

Atlanta, GA
    Austin, TX
    Baltimore, MD
    Boston, MA
    Chicago, IL
    Cincinnati, OH
    Columbus, OH
    Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
    Dayton, OH
    Hartford, CT
    Houston, TX
    Jacksonville, FL
    Kansas City, MO
    Las Vegas, NV
    Los Angeles, CA
    Madison, WI
    Miami/Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Milwaukee, WI
    New Haven, CT
    New Orleans, LA
    New York, NY/Newark, NJ
    Orlando, FL
    Philadelphia, PA
    Phoenix, AZ
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Providence, RI
    San Diego, CA
    St. Petersburg/West Palm Beach, FL
    Tampa, FL
    Washington, DC
    Remember that initially Verizon (and any other carrier) is going to target the markets where they can make the most money - which is typically the markets where they already have the most subscribers and ample spectrum. It is possible that Verizon doesn't have as many subscribers in San Francisco as they do in, say, LA or San Diego. And it is also possible that they don't own as much spectrum in that market, so there are a lot of factors at play. I think you'll see EVDO in all of the "NFL" markets by year's end from both Sprint and Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    Remember that initially Verizon (and any other carrier) is going to target the markets where they can make the most money - which is typically the markets where they already have the most subscribers and ample spectrum. It is possible that Verizon doesn't have as many subscribers in San Francisco as they do in, say, LA or San Diego. And it is also possible that they don't own as much spectrum in that market, so there are a lot of factors at play. I think you'll see EVDO in all of the "NFL" markets by year's end from both Sprint and Verizon.
    I actually think the reverse. SF has so many people that will instantly switch to EVDO and other services that they want to roll it out in less data-hungry markets and get the kinks worked out before rolling it out in the Bay Area. I'd be willing to bet the pentration of data services is much higher in that market than any other.

They usually start with a market where the uptake will be much less (Atlanta, etc.) then go to smaller high pentration markets (Seattle, San Diego), then hit the larger markets, and always seem to finish up with the Bay Area. I watched Sprint & Cingular do the same thing with their data services.
    That may be part of it, but I do know that VZ was hurting for spectrum in the Bay area specifically. With the recent spectrum acquisitions from Leap, MetroPCS and Qwest, I think they've really beefed up their spectrum there, but likely haven't been able to bring new cells/towers online quick enough to roll EVDO.
    I don't remember where I read it, but it was within the context of Sprint's EVDO deployment (much much narrower than VZW's right now). Basically it said something about Sprint having the "rights" to deploy EVDO in all its markets, unlike VZW. So that's probably why sfba isn't part of the trial markets.
    As I broke the news on it, it is because Verizon is out of spectrum in the market. There are too many 2G phones eating up too much bandwidth. Verizon is trying to beat Sprint to the punch, but it has become a losing battle, they are spending millions on equipment and spectrum swaps... but they aren't close the finished.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net