Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. CRSO's Avatar
    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
       #1  
    Any NYC Sprint PCS or Verizon users out there that have experience with both? Or anywhere in the US...

    I live in Manhattan and travel to Washington DC everyday so I need good coverage along the ride on the train. I have Verizon now and it's okay but they are so damn expensive. I am currently trying out Sprint PCS for the first time in 5 years and it seems pretty good. I'm just looking for others comparisons between the two.

    Thanks in advance...

    ~F
  2. ambtreo's Avatar
    Posts
    476 Posts
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    #2  
    I switched from VZW to Sprint and I find the service to be on par with VZW. The data service is better, the pricing is much more competitive, which more than outweigh the instances in which I am roaming and don't have access to data service.
  3. sj3
    sj3 is offline
    sj3's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by CRSO
    Any NYC Sprint PCS or Verizon users out there that have experience with both? Or anywhere in the US...

    I live in Manhattan and travel to Washington DC everyday so I need good coverage along the ride on the train. I have Verizon now and it's okay but they are so damn expensive. I am currently trying out Sprint PCS for the first time in 5 years and it seems pretty good. I'm just looking for others comparisons between the two.

    Thanks in advance...

    ~F
    I like verizon better and have used both. Especially for people that travel off the beaten path, it's siginificantly better signal. Sprint is fine in most major cities and within a mile or two to the side of major interstates. Off that, however, Sprint isn't so good. Also, Verizon is MUCH better for upgrades. Although it takes a few months longer to qualify on Verizon, all their rebates are instant; just like for new customers/new phone lines. Sprint is mail-in and still much worse than for new customers or phone lines. I work for Radioshack, which carries both Verizon and Sprint, so I feel somewhat qualified to address this questions. Examples about.

    sj
  4. #4  
    This post may help you decide:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=78919

    As a side note, as it has been posted here a few times, and experienced by me for the past 8 years: Sprint's customer service sucks Matzaballs. That being said I have noticed a change for the better; I think they realize their weakness and are working on it, it is also the best signal strength in L.A. and the best Data plan. (all you can eat for $15?) the local chinese buffet doesn't have it that good...

    Bottom line, do your research and pick the best for YOU.
  5. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #5  
    It's hard for me to understand why anyone would pay $45/month for 1x data. That's more than I pay for my cable modem. That alone makes it a no-brainer for me.
  6. dwman's Avatar
    Posts
    896 Posts
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by CRSO
    Any NYC Sprint PCS or Verizon users out there that have experience with both? Or anywhere in the US...

    I live in Manhattan and travel to Washington DC everyday so I need good coverage along the ride on the train. I have Verizon now and it's okay but they are so damn expensive. I am currently trying out Sprint PCS for the first time in 5 years and it seems pretty good. I'm just looking for others comparisons between the two.

    Thanks in advance...

    ~F
    Everyday?? That's one helluva comute, my man
  7. #7  
    also on Sprint, $5 for roaming and you are on Verizons network, so that is the best of both worlds right (with cheaper rates)? so if your not close to the highway and you are in the boons where verizon has coverage, you pay $5 a month and use their towers, isnt that right?
  8. CRSO's Avatar
    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwman
    Everyday?? That's one helluva comute, my man
    Not a commute. I operate the Acela trains. From what I am hearing, Sprint roams on Verizon? I have the same signal no matter where I go with my Sprint trial phone so far. I just need to test in DC...

    Thanks for the comments so far.

    More comments are appreciated.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by CRSO
    Not a commute. I operate the Acela trains. From what I am hearing, Sprint roams on Verizon? I have the same signal no matter where I go with my Sprint trial phone so far. I just need to test in DC...

    Thanks for the comments so far.

    More comments are appreciated.

    I have Sprint and was in DC all of last week. I had great signal anywhere I went. Including two levels down at a conference center I was in.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by brvheart
    also on Sprint, $5 for roaming and you are on Verizons network, so that is the best of both worlds right (with cheaper rates)? so if your not close to the highway and you are in the boons where verizon has coverage, you pay $5 a month and use their towers, isnt that right?
    Not as attractive in practice as in theory. You can roam up to 50% of your calls before they start getting perturbed. And it's not guaranteed on Verizon. If you have any Sprint signal, you'll get a poor one before a good Verizon signal. You also cannot use data while roaming on Verizon.

    I'm currently with Verizon...and am happy paying a small premium for the coverage. However, I'm still on MOU for data, and don't think I'd pay $45 (more than my voice plan) for my limited data use. I'd probably check out Sprint if Verizon tried to force a plan on me.

    Cost is the only real advantage of Sprint. It's not enough of a difference with voice plans for me to think about it...but $30/month difference with data sure is.
  11. #11  
    I've been coming to DC and NYC for years with Sprint service. Works great in both places.
    There are rural sections along the Acela route where there's no signal though.

    BTW, your Acela trains are much more comfortable than the TGV trains in France. The TGV goes faster, but there's hardly any leg room, even in first class(I can't imagine how cramped the TGV economy seats must be). The Acela seats in economy are like being in a lazy boy by comparison.
    Last edited by Stickman; 03/29/2005 at 02:43 AM.
  12. #12  
    I live in the NY suburbs and commute to the city every day. I'm breaking my contract and leaving Verizon as I don't want to risk converting a 650 and even if I did, I'd still be paying through the nose for data. I'm now one week into testing the Sprint T650 and I confess I've used only 2-3 min of voice so far as my main concern is data. But, I've been pleasantly surprised at places that I have a signal.
  13. CRSO's Avatar
    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman
    I've been coming to DC and NYC for years with Sprint service. Works great in both places.
    There are rural sections along the Acela route where there's no signal though.

    BTW, your Acela trains are much more comfortable than the TGV trains in France. The TGV goes faster, but there's hardly any leg room, even in first class(I can't imagine how cramped the TGV economy seats must be). The Acela seats in economy are like being in a lazy boy by comparison.
    Thanks for the comments on the trains. I'm rarely in the back of them but they are a pleasure to run. I love the cruise control.

    As far as rural areas... I know that even verizon loses a signal around the long stretches between WIL-BAL-NCR
  14. #14  
    Amtrak is the #1 way to commute! Too bad the trains don't run more frequently (at least up to New Haven / Hartford)...
  15. CRSO's Avatar
    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdfairchild
    Amtrak is the #1 way to commute! Too bad the trains don't run more frequently (at least up to New Haven / Hartford)...
    Yeah, we have a higher frequency down here than up to Boston. The travel is up though.

    I need to go to DC and test out Sprint's signal down in my crew room sign-up area. If there's a signal, I'm gonna switch from VZW to SPCS.

    Any experience with the Washington Metro?

    Does SPCS roam everywhere VZW has a signal?
  16. jstpa's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by danix
    I live in the NY suburbs and commute to the city every day. I'm breaking my contract and leaving Verizon as I don't want to risk converting a 650 and even if I did, I'd still be paying through the nose for data. I'm now one week into testing the Sprint T650 and I confess I've used only 2-3 min of voice so far as my main concern is data. But, I've been pleasantly surprised at places that I have a signal.
    If your main concern is data, why are you using a treo at all? Why don't you use a phone that gives you EVDO capability?

Posting Permissions