1.    #1  
    Hi. I've been reading through the forums for awhile trying to find a good comparison between the US national providers.

I am a Canadian living temporarily in DC (for maybe another year) and I have an unlocked 600 that I want to activate. My needs are going to be pretty minimal: <600 voice minutes, <100 SMS, email access and little or no web browsing.

I would also be calling Canada a lot if I can get a plan that won't kill me on the LD. In the past I know some people that have had AT&T voice plans that don't charge for roaming in Canada. That is fairly low priority though.

What would you recommend as a good value in the national providers. The major websites are next to useless

Thanks
    Tmobile's Get More plan should be just about perfect for you. It's the plan I was on for 2 years before switching to Sprint for the 650. It included 600 minutes per month and for 2.99, I had 500 text messages. The 500 is not available anymore, but it's still $2.99 for 300.
    I should add that I know nothing about the rates for calling Canada.
    Is data access an issue ? Cingular has EDGE and Verizon has EV-DO. Try this article:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1771206,00.asp

It runs on for many pages....follow the links on right of page.