1.    #1  
    Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about upgrading from my Treo 300 (I know, it's old but it works still!) to the Treo 650. Will this phone work in Europe? I understand that it's a dual band and CDMA and that Europe is GSM...if I travel to Europe once a quarter am I not going to be able to use my phone there?

Thanks,
    iTreo
    Correct. There's no CDMA in Europe.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, Stickman. I was afraid of that.

What do other Treo users do when they go outside the US for business or vacation? Ditch the Treo?
    Sprint actually has a service where you rent a (1800 mhz) GSM phone and you buy sprint's SIM card. You turn off your CDMA Treo when you leave the US and your incoming calls are forwarded to the rental GSM phone.
    I bought a used supposed unlocked GSM phone on Ebay but it was locked to another carrier so I couldn't get it to work and I therefore don't have first-hand experience with this.
    But, assuming it works, its pretty handy.
    Suggest you go with their rental phone, at least the first time.
    I purchased a Sprint GSM worldphone, it works every where, Europe, India, etc. All you do (like Stickman says above) is remember to turn off your 650 while traveling, and your gsm will ring wherever you may be outside of the US.

I had a problem in India last week, and called Sprint support, they fixed a routing problem overnight, and boom, the next day, everting was working, and they called me to confirm.

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman
    Sprint actually has a service where you rent a (1800 mhz) GSM phone and you buy sprint's SIM card. You turn off your CDMA Treo when you leave the US and your incoming calls are forwarded to the rental GSM phone. Suggest you go with their rental phone, at least the first time.
    I checked into this option - was told by the Sprint International Roaming Dept (888 226-7212) that the minimum phone lease starts at $100. Pretty stiff. I'm going to be in the Netherlands for a couple of weeks - over there, you can buy a phone (with a local #) for about $50 with about 15 minutes of pre-paid time and add more as you need it. Fortunately, I can get away with checking my voicemail.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Confirming - according to a Sprint rep on May 5 2005, a one month GMS rental is $65, plus shipping, activation, and fees, for a total of $129 before you use the phone, then $1.50 per minute of air time.

I'm going to be working in Europe this summer - 1 week in Belgium, 2 in Italy. If I get an unlocked GSM and use local SIMs, what will the charges be? Can I forward my Sprint number to the GSM phone?