Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've heard from someone at the Sprint HQ that EVDO cards will begin to sell next month (April). EVDO will be enabled first at all major airports (40+) in May. 'Enterprise sections' of 50+ cities will be activated the rest of 2005 (most upgrades are already complete). I guess that means core areas like downtowns, urban districts and major suburban office districts. The entire Sprint network is planned to be enabled by Q1/2006.

I know a Sprint employee who is testing it in Kansas City and she said it already works in most airports and most parts of the KC metro. I currently have a Verizon EVDO card in KC. Both have generally the same performance, 300-600Kbits/sec with peaks up to 1Mb. No word on pricing but expect it to be the same... $80/month.

Any word on EVDO capable phones?
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    The EVDO capable Treo is scheduled for sale through Sprint 4th quarter this year.
  3.    #3  
    Any links about EVDO Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by treocast
    The EVDO capable Treo is scheduled for sale through Sprint 4th quarter this year.

Are you just making things up?

I also would expect the next gen CDMA Treo to suport 1xEvDo, but there are no rumors regarding when of if this will happen any time soon...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    This is a rumor I want to believe!
  6.    #6  
    I'd expect the next Treo to have EVDO and Cobalt OS. But it seems Cobalt is pushed out yet again.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    I'd expect the next Treo to have EVDO and Cobalt OS. But it seems Cobalt is pushed out yet again.
    I'm not sure we'll ever see a Cobalt Treo at this point! More likely there will be a Windows Mobile Treo before that ever happens...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Basis for this rumor please ? Many want to know.
  9.    #9  
    I wonder if it's possible to do an EVDO SD card for Palm/PPC just as there are WiFi SD cards.
    theres a much higher power output required and the physical size of compontents... you dont see any cdma or gsm/gprs sd cards, only cf cards... and even those have seperate batteries that attach to power them
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I wonder what it is that makes a phone EVDO compatible or not. If we already have a faster 312 Intel Processor, is it possible that Sprint can convert the built in capabilities to EVDO with a software update OTA or with an in store plug in upgrade? If anyone can speak on this, please drop some knowledge on over here. Thanks.
    evdo will require a different radio
    its the hardware that it runs on... it's like thinking you can upgrade bluetooth to wifi with a software upgrade... doesn't work that way... there's different ways of transmitting the data and that needs a new "radio"
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Thank you for the responses. I guess us Sprint 650 users will be buying new ones eventually. Man, time to put away money into the Treo 700 fund.
    I wonder if you bought warranty for the Sprint Treo 650 you can upgrade to the Treo 700 by paying the difference. I've heard some people have done it, but I'd like to know more detail on that.

Thanks,

Al
    Didn't mean to start a big rumor. That's just what my Sprint rep told me. He said that EVDO was scheduled to roll out in my area 3rd quarter, and that a EVDO Treo would be available 4th quarter. That's why I held off on buying the 650 now...
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I think that the EVDO version of the Treo would be an outright purchase without paying an upgrade price difference, that is even if it was allowed. The Sprint 650 I have operates exceptionally well that I would be afraid to give it up to another unknown piece of hardware that is sure to have its own problems and inevitable headaches. But the 650 would make an excellent back up phone. EVDO for the masses....what a great concept.
    Didn't mean to start a big rumor. That's just what my Sprint rep told me. He said that EVDO was scheduled to roll out in my area 3rd quarter, and that a EVDO Treo would be available 4th quarter. That's why I held off on buying the 650 now...
    Well, that would be one year after the release of the Treo 650 so it would make sense afterall... Heck, by that time the 650 forum will have ~150,000 posts and we'll all be irrated and anxious as hell about the next Treo just like we were about the 650 and the 600 before it, and the 300 before it and...umm... I see a pattern here!

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    This is the reason I have held on buying a 650. Not because I thought there might be a rumoured next device, but because EV-DO was an eventuallity, and the 650 just wouldn't support it. At this point, I'm glad I waited and advised my clients to do the same. My 600 works fine, and the 700/800/2000+1 will be a great new device (HAH!). Maybe it'll have more memory!
    More food for the rumor mill... engadget made a post regarding Sprint's EVDO roll-out schedule... http://cellphones.engadget.com/entry/1234000443036007/ ... but they fail to mention the rumor that supposedly Dell will start shipping notebooks with Sprint's EVDO radio built in...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast