Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    now thats an idea--an ev-do mini-pci card for laptops...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Who says the EV-DO Treo has to run Palm OS to begin with? And no, you won't get a "Harrier" of another word out of me on that one.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net
    True dat, hatoncat. HTC is the ones making a lot of these devices anyway - the PPC6600, the Treo 650, the Siemens SX66 (GSM) - wouldn't surprise me one bit if HTC was working on a Palm-branded, Windows Mobile-based Treo. The truth is, the Treo is having a tough time in enterprise markets, and it will only get worse as Microsoft continues to implement wireless e-mail solutions in their next revision. The writing is on the wall for RIM and Palm as we know them. They have to come up with some alternative solutions for revenue...
    heyy i din't know hatoncat was a member here! I see you at sprint pcs info. When will Dell ship laptops with the sprint wireless cards inside? anyother brands will be doing so?
    It is good to see Hatoncat here. He's quite a reliable source of Sprint news.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    heyy i din't know hatoncat was a member here! I see you at sprint pcs info. When will Dell ship laptops with the sprint wireless cards inside? anyother brands will be doing so?
    Sorry, that's a tricky subject, EV-DO does have to launch first, I know that much. Can't completely confirm who's laptops are getting EV-DO, but some almost certainly are.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    True dat, hatoncat. HTC is the ones making a lot of these devices anyway - the PPC6600, the Treo 650, the Siemens SX66 (GSM) - wouldn't surprise me one bit if HTC was working on a Palm-branded, Windows Mobile-based Treo. The truth is, the Treo is having a tough time in enterprise markets, and it will only get worse as Microsoft continues to implement wireless e-mail solutions in their next revision. The writing is on the wall for RIM and Palm as we know them. They have to come up with some alternative solutions for revenue...
    Not really HTC wants these companies to be reliabt on them, either from a R&D or a manufacturing level (generally not both, but there are some product-specific exceptions I can't mention). Anyways, HTC knows they have zero brand recognition, and they know they're in no position to build it right now.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    back on subject: evdo rollout! anyone have any success with unofficial prl update via sprintpcsinfo.com? i successfully installed it last night, now the only question is, *can* it actually work with ppc660x phones? i'm in pittsburgh where verizon has their evdo downtown, i will check today to see if there is any sprint signal/towers. my question is has anyone seen success yet anywhere? also hat, will it automatically change from 1x to evdo or will i need to be trying to transmit data? will the little pop up bubble inform me?
    is the sprint ev-do market the same as verizon's...?
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    back on subject: evdo rollout! anyone have any success with unofficial prl update via sprintpcsinfo.com? i successfully installed it last night, now the only question is, *can* it actually work with ppc660x phones? i'm in pittsburgh where verizon has their evdo downtown, i will check today to see if there is any sprint signal/towers. my question is has anyone seen success yet anywhere? also hat, will it automatically change from 1x to evdo or will i need to be trying to transmit data? will the little pop up bubble inform me?
    The EV-DO PRL will only work if you install the unofficial update I released. This updates the radio in the 6600 to support an EV-DO PRL.

It should change to EV, but our research into if it actually works is being hampered by not actually knowing where EV is. You should not need to transmit data to tell if you are on an EV tower.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah
    is the sprint ev-do market the same as verizon's...?
    No, Sprint's EV-DO map will begin in some places where Verizon's already is, but they will have different coverage maps.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Quote Originally Posted by treocast
    More food for the rumor mill... engadget made a post regarding Sprint's EVDO roll-out schedule... http://cellphones.engadget.com/entry/1234000443036007/ ... but they fail to mention the rumor that supposedly Dell will start shipping notebooks with Sprint's EVDO radio built in...
    I had noticed that a mjor reason for users choosing SPrint was their $15 / mo data plan....Since Sprint is now saying $45 a month with EV-DO (at least that's how I take "pricing comparable to Verizon's), I gotta wonder how many will wanna switch right away or wait for prices to come down.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12