1.    #1  
    I've been looking to upgrade my 300 to a 650 since it was first announced. However, with Sprint's obstinate unwillingness to give me a decent upgrade price, Verizon's rollout of the EVDO network, and the news that EVDO-capable 650's are a ways off if even in the cards...

Looks like I'm just going to get a PC5220 broadband card for my laptop from Verizon, and keep my Treo 300 indefinitely.

I will say this for the Treo, I've had the same 300 for over two and a half years, without any hardware problems at all. And I am *hard* on my gear sometimes.

Sprint, you've got a great network, never had any problems. But, you've got the worst-customer-service-ever. Sprint would rather lose an existing customer forever than give them an equal deal to what they give to new customers.
    why can't you get the same deal as new customers?

my contract ended in April 04 and when I went in and signed a new 2 year contract for a 650 I got the same deal that a new customer just walking in would get ($150 off or what ever the new deal is).
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by msheldon
    Sprint would rather lose an existing customer forever than give them an equal deal to what they give to new customers.
    I totally agree with u... I have always felt that the existing customers should get the deals also... I had to pay full price for my 650...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortbus
    why can't you get the same deal as new customers?

my contract ended in April 04 and when I went in and signed a new 2 year contract for a 650 I got the same deal that a new customer just walking in would get ($150 off or what ever the new deal is).
    New customers get a lot better deal than that if they try.

The best Sprint would offer me is $130 off online. The folks in the Sprint store wouldn't even go that far. They seemed to think I should be grateful I got anything at all.

At this point, it's Sprint that should be grateful I'm still keeping the contract on my 300. Though it is the lowest-priced contract they offer.

Yesterday afternoon I took a trip down to the Verizon store. I walked out with a PC5220 data card for $100 and EVDO service. One of the primary reasons for having the Treo was to have data services wherever I am. The EVDO service just outright rocks. The *worst* performance I've seen, with under 25% signal strength, was 186kbps. Average is around 380kbps, and the best I've seen so far was in the 500kbps+ sustained range
    And to think, this comes from the same company that made a commercial making fun of other companies giving new customers special deals .

These cell providers' sorry customer service is probably the #1 reason people wanted number line portability to easily change providers.

I wish TC had a "all providers" forum where we could all collectively share rants about service. Because this is the area they all fail on.
    I was once in your same exact position about 3 years ago. When my contract was up, I was going to sever my ties with sprint forever. I hated them; customer service was horrible (though I think you'd be hardpressed to find any carrier that has exceptional CS). They would promise things, not follow through and then not acknowledge that any such promises (i.e. minute credits) were ever made to me.

Needless to say, I'm still with sprint, and it's only because I know how to deal with them now. Here's something I learned, and I'm sure many people know Sprint's standard rentention procedures by now. When you call to cancel your service they become your best friend. After telling the first rep that you're cancelling service they transfer you to the custsomer retention dept. That CSR makes you an offer, normally you can tell them what would keep you (more mins/phone rebate) with them. Don't settle though. Usually I say something like, I've been a customer with you since (insert date) and I've had nothing but problems with you, you don't care about your customers, I want to cancel. The CSR usually is like ok, I'm going to cancel, you say yes please, hurry up! He/She then transfers you to some "higher person" then they say something like, "we usually don't do this, but you've been a great customer, how about 125 more mins free a month, on top of that the last rep just offered you." Then you say, minutes are great, but I have an obsolete phone that's falling apart and that's usually when you get your phone rebate. Add you own complaints, repeat yearly (dont ever get service for more than a year at a time) and viola - you'll soon have what I have: 725 minutes, free Vision for the past year and a half or so and three new phones in the past three years and all for $29.99 since that call three years ago .

And when you call with a problem, don't always be so "honest." I imagine the CS rep sitting there, cheek-in-hand, bored as hell, tapping some keys to make it seem like they're actually looking up your account and "reviewing the last notes put in." I mean, I'm sure they are, but if you persist in a stern, but not ired tone, you make your point and throw in some tough words to pronounce that they probably don't know the meaning to and you'll get farther than being extremely friendly or extermely angry. Don't always demand the manager either, these CS reps have more power to make change than you think. The manager usually just repeats what the rep says but if you persuade the rep then there's no need to get the managers with the power to override the rep on the phone. If you have to fib a little, do it, they lie to you all the time. Say, "I was promised this because of this and I would really just like to get through this smoothly," because I guarantee they want the same thing. Anyway, I'm not trying to demean the intellect of sprint or it's CS reps, but I got fed up with being lied to and treated like a monthly check instead of a customer so I had to manipulate the milieu to my favor . Anyway I've typed too much and I'm just babbling on now, but I'm in contracts class and have to pretend I'm actually typing down what the prof is saying ***eyes up from the screen::shake head gently in affirmation::look perplexed for a moment::roll the eyes in obvious understanding::eyes back down::type fervently - repeat***