1.    #1  
    Sprint PCS Connection Card(TM) by Sierra Wireless (AirCardŽ 580) to provide EV-DO connectivity for mobile professionals once coverage is available from Sprint

i-Newswire, 2005-03-04 - Sprint ( NYSE: FON ) and Sierra Wireless ( NASDAQ: SWIR - TSX:SW ) today announced that the Sprint PCS Connection Card by Sierra Wireless ( AirCard 580 ) is now available for sale through Sprint business sales channels. Designed to operate on CDMA 1xEV-DO ( Evolution, Data Optimized ) and 1xRTT networks, the AirCard 580 by Sierra Wireless will support broadband-like speeds when Sprint launches EV-DO service later this year and is backwards compatible to 1xRTT speeds in areas where Sprint EV-DO coverage is not available.

The card will enable average user speeds of 300-500 kbps and peak rates of up to 2.4 Mbps in EV-DO coverage areas. Today, Sprint customers using the Sprint PCS Connection Card can achieve speeds averaging 50 to 70 kbps, with peak speeds of up to 144 kbps.
    Sprint, the leader in wireless data services, plans to provide EV-DO service in several major markets across the nation by mid-year with broader metropolitan-area coverage by the end of 2005.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I called Sprint today and talked to a tier 2 tech support rep and he actually tried to tell me that the EVDO network was up and running....the nerve of him. I think he must have thought I was an uninformed consumer ready to take the bait on buying the Sierra 580 card for the " excellent " price ( haha ) of $299.99. I told him he needed to go back and research what his own network capabilities are and that I'll pass on the card for now.
    I talked to our indirect account executive yesterday and asked him about the new EV-DO card. He thinks its funny that they're already selling them, and said that everything he's been told so far indicates a mid-to-late summer launch of EV-DO. He also said the connection card plan pricing should remain the same as 1xRTT.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Let's hope that at least for those of us who are already using the 1xRTT laptop cards, Sprint gives us an upgrade discount or some special price for the new EVDO card.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ehosey2
    I called Sprint today and talked to a tier 2 tech support rep and he actually tried to tell me that the EVDO network was up and running....the nerve of him. I think he must have thought I was an uninformed consumer ready to take the bait on buying the Sierra 580 card for the " excellent " price ( haha ) of $299.99. I told him he needed to go back and research what his own network capabilities are and that I'll pass on the card for now.
    You know if you called Sprint and told them the day/time of your call they probably would not even be able to find out who lied to you.

I was speaking to a rep one evening who told me a lie regarding something else then connected me to another rep who confirmed it was a lie. I asked that rep who confirmed the lie to switch me back to the guy I was just talking to who lied to me so I could address that he lied to him directly. The rep could not do it. He had no clue who I had spoken to previously and had no way to switch me back.

Just another example of poor customer service in the wireless industry.
    Here's more info on Sprint's EvDo dployment plans:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=585074

Anyway, I think I'ld much rather wait until there's a 1xEvDo Treo so I could just use BT or PDANet instead!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Here's more info on Sprint's EvDo dployment plans:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=585074

Anyway, I think I'ld much rather wait until there's a 1xEvDo Treo so I could just use BT or PDANet instead!
    Of course using those options to connect your laptop to the web is a workable solution. But in my opinion it is not the best way. Isn't it true that using BT connection doesn't provide you with a fast connection, even if the next Treo was EVDO ? And I would not feel secure with BT in use for security reasons. I think the biggest drawback to using those 2 options is the fact that the Treo is then dedicated to the function of modem for the laptop, which means with the current Palm Op System, no multi tasking ability. Phone calls directly to voice mail and IM's and SMS interupting the web browsing ?

Being that I use a dedicated aircard for my laptop, I am able to use the web on my laptop while making and receiving phone calls, as well as IM and SMS with my 650. I guess one could purchase a BT phone with EVDO and a PDA Net kit but at that price, you might as well buy an aircard. But this is just my opinion. Thanks.
    pdanet with usb is barely 56k for me with 4 bars. With bluetoot PdaNet it is unbearable!!!!