1.    #1  
    Anyone know if the Treo 650 will function with 3G when Sprint finally rolls it out? It'd be nice to be able to take advantage of higher data transfer speeds without having to purchase a new phone. According to both the sales rep and a tech I spoke with at Sprint (although who knows how reliable or knowledgeable either of these people really is) the Treo 650 will function on the 3G network when its rolled out. Anyone have any other info?? Thanks!

- marc
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    They don't know what they are talking about. The Treo 650 is NOT EVDO (3G) capable only 1xRTT (2.5G which is what Vision is).
    Jeff
  3.    #3  
    I've been told that 1xRTT is 3G....???

See: http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules...&p=24177#24177
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbressman
    I've been told that 1xRTT is 3G....???

See: http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules...&p=24177#24177
    I am no expert at this, but I think that it's semantics and how you define things. Sprint (for obvious reasons of advertising) will call 1xRTT 3G and I suppose that technically it is. More accurately it really is 3G technology at 2.5G speeds. Most people refer to EVDO (which I believe is an extension of 1xRTT) as true 3G. And by-the-way, the GSM/GPRS network and it's 3G offering is just as confusing.

No matter how you define it, the Treo 650 is not compatible with EVDO; only 1xRTT. When EVDO is available, the Treo 650 will continue to work just fine on the 1xRTT network as it does today.

I hope this helps.
    Jeff
  5.    #5  
    Yes it does...very much. Thank you.

Just one final question...I don't suppose there's any type of software patch that might be able to be released to make the Treo 650 work on the EVDO network once its up and running?
    Nope; not an issue of software really. I believe we're talking about a different IC altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by mbressman
    Yes it does...very much. Thank you.

Just one final question...I don't suppose there's any type of software patch that might be able to be released to make the Treo 650 work on the EVDO network once its up and running?