1.    #1  
    I currently have Verizon plan and the coverage is ok.

I am getting a Treo 650 in the next month so I am looking for the best plan. That bings me to Spring vs Cingular.

I have found a few friends with Cingular that give it good reviews but haven't been able to find any Sprint customers.

Anyone have that and use it on eastern long island - or at least heard anything about it?

Thanks
    I live in Queens but spend alot of time on Long Island.

I use Sprint and never had a problem with service on LI.

I've been as far as Orient Point and the Hamptons and had service.

You'll have to hope for someone else who has been as far as Montauk to see if they had any bars.

I don't see why not though.
    This is my tagline. There are many like it but this one is mine.
    I work in Shirley which isn't toooo far east East (although it is compared to where I live in Hicksville), and my Sprint 650 works fine there.

How far East are you?

Try one or the other and make use of their 14 day free trial if the coverage is bad..
  4.    #4  
    I live in the Hamptons - so bouncer gives me a vote of confidence.

I wanted to go with Sprint as the pricing is much better and the CDMA works better for me as I dont travel the world. But I was hard pressed to find anyone iwth sprint in my circle of friends so that made me nervous.

What happens if I buy a Treo650 via Sprint with their cheaper price and find that I do not like the serivce. Will they refund everything? Cause I am assuming I wont be able to take the Sprint branded phone to another service.
    I was in Montauk two weeks ago and had sprint service, I believe I received one incoming and made one outbound call that sounded fine. I believe Sprint's 14 day return policy will cover you, maybe the actual contract is 72 hours but if you have bad service I would bet they would do a full return/cancelation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitboss
    What happens if I buy a Treo650 via Sprint with their cheaper price and find that I do not like the serivce. Will they refund everything?
    Yeah, they'll refund the phone price & you wont be stuck in a contract -- just make sure to do it within 14 days.

You'll have to pay the activation fee and pay for however many days of service/minutes you used.
    My folks are out in Oyster Bay and we have some friends out in Huntington and Northport. Verizon hasn't been a problem for me (Verizonized 650). Sprint has been pretty good as well, but tends to roam quite often. My best friend has Cingular and he seems to have the most issues with his coverage.

I can't really comment on Eastern L.I though. Although I did go out to the Hamptons a few times and had no problems with Verizon.

Joebar, I was at Hicksville station yesterday (I'm too lazy to take the train to O. Bay to visit my folks). Do you take the LIRR? That reverse commute has got to be great!
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    Joebar, I was at Hicksville station yesterday (I'm too lazy to take the train to O. Bay to visit my folks). Do you take the LIRR? That reverse commute has got to be great!
    Yeah, going East during rush hour is nice. Except for driving into the sun in the morning and then again into the sunset on the way home, it aint too bad. I wish I could take the LIRR but unfortunately the only trains that stop in bumfuk exit 68 Shirley arrive at either like 4am or 10am..
    I live and work on Eastern Long Island....Had or tried 'em all.....worst was Nextel....walkie talkie thing fine but phone service was terrible.....I actually had a client get so fed up on a jobsite he 6 of em a week and thru them in a porta pottie. And this was on the top of Bald Hill 2nd highest point on LI.

I have had AT&Tingular cellular service for my "business cell phone" for over 20 years . For a while I carried a 2nd phone for other purposes and I have OnStar (Verizon) in the Envoy, Tingular seesm to work best most often.