1.    #1  
    Here's my story:

Late last November, I switched from the T600 to the T650. My T600 worked great: outstanding service, great call clarity, etc. etc. I was anxious for the hardware and software upgrade that the T650 promised. I switched over, and immediately, I had problems. Among other nuisances, the most obnoxious problem was that the phone dropped nearly every call. No matter what I did, whether it was turning off Bluetooth, going to a different area, or whatever, it dropped pretty much every call. It was even more perplexing to see that when it dropped a call, it had great service, being 3-4 bars. Thinking it was a faulty Treo, I went to the Sprint Store and got a refurb. That too, exhibited the same problems. Thinking some of the software I was hot-syncing onto the T650 was causing the problem, I hard reset it a couple of times, only hot-synced the necessary files, and even called without hot-syncing at all. Still dropped calls. After being frustrated for a week or two, I reluctantly switched back to the T600, and everything was fine again. No spontaneously dropped calls.

So a few weeks ago, I received a call from the Sprint Store. They said that they have had numerous problems with the T650. I was the first out of 18 people to have the same compliant at that store alone. They said that they had the highest T650 return percentage out of the whole country. They then said they loaded new software on the T650 that should fix the problems, and offered me to try the new software on a new T650 and using a temporary number, that way I wouldn't paralyze my main number if the problem still existed. I accepted the offer.

I've been using this new T650 for a few days, and it's worked great. I haven't had a dropped call since I've tried it. I've hot-synced all of my files onto it with no problem, and the phone still works great. I believe that I am going to make the switch (again) to the T650.

Here's my question: is anyone else aware of this new software? I would be very interested to know if this is a nation-wide thing, or if our city (D/FW) is just quirky. The last time I was on TreoCentral's boards was to express my previous problem, so I might have missed out on something in my roughly 3 month absence.
    Quote Originally Posted by scondon
    Here's my story:

Late last November, I switched from the T600 to the T650. My T600 worked great: outstanding service, great call clarity, etc. etc. I was anxious for the hardware and software upgrade that the T650 promised. I switched over, and immediately, I had problems. Among other nuisances, the most obnoxious problem was that the phone dropped nearly every call. No matter what I did, whether it was turning off Bluetooth, going to a different area, or whatever, it dropped pretty much every call. It was even more perplexing to see that when it dropped a call, it had great service, being 3-4 bars. Thinking it was a faulty Treo, I went to the Sprint Store and got a refurb. That too, exhibited the same problems. Thinking some of the software I was hot-syncing onto the T650 was causing the problem, I hard reset it a couple of times, only hot-synced the necessary files, and even called without hot-syncing at all. Still dropped calls. After being frustrated for a week or two, I reluctantly switched back to the T600, and everything was fine again. No spontaneously dropped calls.

So a few weeks ago, I received a call from the Sprint Store. They said that they have had numerous problems with the T650. I was the first out of 18 people to have the same compliant at that store alone. They said that they had the highest T650 return percentage out of the whole country. They then said they loaded new software on the T650 that should fix the problems, and offered me to try the new software on a new T650 and using a temporary number, that way I wouldn't paralyze my main number if the problem still existed. I accepted the offer.

I've been using this new T650 for a few days, and it's worked great. I haven't had a dropped call since I've tried it. I've hot-synced all of my files onto it with no problem, and the phone still works great. I believe that I am going to make the switch (again) to the T650.

Here's my question: is anyone else aware of this new software? I would be very interested to know if this is a nation-wide thing, or if our city (D/FW) is just quirky. The last time I was on TreoCentral's boards was to express my previous problem, so I might have missed out on something in my roughly 3 month absence.

What store in DFW did you go to???????Please do tell

I'm in plano and would eagerly drive there tomorrow and pick their brains.

What is your software version?

is it still treo650-1.03-SPCS

or (hopefully) something newer?

edit...

To answer your question...No, no one else is aware of this update.
  3.    #3  
    Quite strangely, I have the same software-treo650-1.03-SPCS, Hardware A, amongst other private code things.

I'm not an expert on the Treo, but perhaps that the software number shown on the "Phone Info" menu is the phone software, and that they updated the OS software. Doubtful, considering the problem was directly related to the phone, but it's just a thought. Maybe the OS was somehow interfering with the phone to cause it to drop calls, necessitating an update on the OS software. But as I said, I'm no expert.

Or maybe it was bs and that they were trying to get me to spend more money? Also makes no sense considering that the phone works great, but you never know those Sprint pinheads.

All they told me is that they updated the software which should solve the problem, and so far it has.
    the update is on the palm site
    Quite strangely, I have the same software-treo650-1.03-SPCS, Hardware A, amongst other private code things.

I'm not an expert on the Treo, but perhaps that the software number shown on the "Phone Info" menu is the phone software, and that they updated the OS software. Doubtful, considering the problem was directly related to the phone, but it's just a thought. Maybe the OS was somehow interfering with the phone to cause it to drop calls, necessitating an update on the OS software. But as I said, I'm no expert.

Or maybe it was bs and that they were trying to get me to spend more money? Also makes no sense considering that the phone works great, but you never know those Sprint pinheads.

All they told me is that they updated the software which should solve the problem, and so far it has.

Thanks for the PM...I'llswing by there tomorrow and see if I can find out anything.

How is the phone performing, any differences. Have you used any BT headsets before/after?

thanks!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus6d9
    the update is on the palm site
    The roaming patch was posted on 1feb and there have been no updates since then. The update is NOT on the P1 site. This is a pre-release test update.
  7.    #7  
    Yeah, it definitely wasn't a roaming patch they put on it, as it dropped calls regardless of where I was or what the signal strength was.

The obvious difference between the old one and the new one is that the new one doesn't drop calls. Can't really think of anything else.

I purchased a Jabra BT headset with the first T650, and although it was a cool device, there were some minor nuisances. It didn't fit in my ear right, it was kind of staticy, and the volume wasn't as loud as I would like it to be. I didn't return it, and when I got the new T650, I tried it out again. Basically the same problems, just not as much static. My step son who knows a bit about technology said the headset was fine, but it's still not as loud as I would like it. Just a matter of preference.
  8.    #8  
    Well, I switched my main number to the new T650, and it's still working great. It's interesting to know that noone knows about this supposed update...oh well.
    It's interesting to know that noone knows about this supposed update...oh well.
    I wonder if this "suppossed update" was a SimCard switch ?
    In the FWIW department, the "roaming" patch has helped my singal strength all over the place, not just where I would be roaming. Its a 1 - 2 bar difference in certain parts of town. Others on TC have reported similar results, so it seems there was more to it than just the roaming connection issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I wonder if this "suppossed update" was a SimCard switch ?
    Considering CDMA technology doesn't utilize SIM cards, this is extremely, extremely doubtful.

Sounds like PalmOne is about to release a software or firmware upgrade for unlocked GSM 650s, and considering the Sprint 650 has been out three months longer, they are probably going to release one for Sprint as well. If not, they are going to have a lot of angry Sprinters on their hands.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    In the FWIW department, the "roaming" patch has helped my singal strength all over the place, not just where I would be roaming. Its a 1 - 2 bar difference in certain parts of town. Others on TC have reported similar results, so it seems there was more to it than just the roaming connection issue.
    I am almost positive it wasn't this roaming patch. My (old) Treo dropped pretty much every call, regardless of signal strength or location. It would drop calls when it had 3-4 bars.

Perhaps I should have said this earlier, but when it would drop calls, it wouldn't say "no service," it would just hang up "by itself". At the bottom of the screen, a litte box would say something to the effect of, "Call to [whoever I was talking to] disconnected," and then it would show the duration of the abbreviated call. The signal strength would still be at 3-4 bars.

Maybe this roaming patch covered more problems than just roaming? Who knows. All I know is that my new T650 is working great, no dropped calls whatsoever.