Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    I don't think you'll Verizon announce such a product as the Treo 650 until only a month, or perhaps a few weeks, before it's sale and distribution. The last thing any company wants to do is cannabalize, and subsequently halt, sales of an existing (high end) product before announcing an upgrade to that high end product.

Demand is already built into the 650. No need to pre-announce/announce 6-8-10 weeks in advance of sales to build any demand. It makes more business sense for Verizon to push out the 600 inventory before the 650s roll in. As a matter of fact, my view is that Verizon might just be waiting for the Treo 600s to get to a threshold level before they "announce" the 650. I think the 650s are ready to go; it may just be a waiting game.

Either that or Verizon will simply not support the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    I don't think you'll Verizon announce such a product as the Treo 650 until only a month, or perhaps a few weeks, before it's sale and distribution. The last thing any company wants to do is cannabalize, and subsequently halt, sales of an existing (high end) product before announcing an upgrade to that high end product.

Demand is already built into the 650. No need to pre-announce/announce 6-8-10 weeks in advance of sales to build any demand. It makes more business sense for Verizon to push out the 600 inventory before the 650s roll in. As a matter of fact, my view is that Verizon might just be waiting for the Treo 600s to get to a threshold level before they "announce" the 650. I think the 650s are ready to go; it may just be a waiting game.

Either that or Verizon will simply not support the 650.
    Well, VZW has marked down the 600 to $199 after rebates, so they must be trying to clear inventory to make way for the 650.
    Like I said earlier, a VZW tech told me the 650 is coming in a "couple of months."
    They look foolish when they advertise the 600 in USA Today and you turn the page and see a Sprint ad for the 650.
    VZW knows they have to keep up with their competitors, they'll offer the 650.
    I'm just hoping when they do offer it, it will be without the bugs that have affected Cingular and Sprint users.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK
    This morning I started seeing the infamous "pinstriping" on my VZW Treo600... It all depends on what happens today at the CTIA show...
    Well, based on the non-news from the CTIA, I called and got my 600 replaced. VZW overnighted it to me; you were right Pump142 and I hope that the refurb treats me as well as yours has been treating you.
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    i found the VZW exchange process fairly pain free.. as for the refurb, its been treating me as well as my original (with less scratches too )
    Now, lets see just how long it has to hold out before the 650 shows.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs
    Well, VZW has marked down the 600 to $199 after rebates, so they must be trying to clear inventory to make way for the 650.
    Like I said earlier, a VZW tech told me the 650 is coming in a "couple of months."
    They look foolish when they advertise the 600 in USA Today and you turn the page and see a Sprint ad for the 650.
    VZW knows they have to keep up with their competitors, they'll offer the 650.
    I'm just hoping when they do offer it, it will be without the bugs that have affected Cingular and Sprint users.

Why do you think they are trying to make way for the 650? Because they are selling an obsolete phone cheaply?

Maybe they are afraid to sell the 600 for the same price as their other pdaphones because it cannot utilize the EVDO network (just like the 650). Maybe they are clearing out the obsolete treos to make room for the Samsung i730 - which has a similar form factor to the treo and does work on the EVDO network.
    There are lots of good points in all of this. The price of the 600 being dropped so low tends to imply they have a bunch of 600's in inventory.
    For all of you, like me, who are about to give up the ghost on VZW--check out this post today by Remi. It really sounds substantive. Like maybe there is a real possibility of a release soon.
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=44796
    I don't see anything more or less substantive than what's already buried in this thread.

Read: speculation, speculation, speculation.

There are no hard facts anywhere on this issue at all yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kack
    For all of you, like me, who are about to give up the ghost on VZW--check out this post today by Remi. It really sounds substantive. Like maybe there is a real possibility of a release soon.
    Honestly, given all the issues the Treo650 appears to have -- both in the Sprint CDMA version, and the various GSM versions -- can you blame Verizon for being a little cagey about bringing it to market?

Myself, I'm hoping that their reluctance and their 'overtesting' will put some pressure back on PalmOne and PalmSource to fix some of the bugs that have been plaguing so many people (and yes, I know some people don't have any problems; that's a non-point as long as any significant number of people *are*, so don't bother bringing it up).

It's certainly possible that Verizon is losing some business over the delay. I also think it's quite likely that *Palm* is losing business over the delay, as people choose other smart-phones. I, for one, am actively considering both the BlackBerry line and -- despite hating Microsoftisms -- the new Samsung i730 (also delayed, but then, I'm not in that much of a hurry), because of the wide variation of reliability reported on the Treo 650.

I honestly hope PalmOne's paying attention to those issues, but I'm too pessimistic to count on it.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kack

Seen too much of Remi to believe anything he or she posts.

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...&pagenumber=11
    Last edited by jstpa; 03/17/2005 at 02:22 PM.
    Thanks jstpa. I have never seen Remi before. It's just that the image of live VZW tech fondling either a 650 or an i730 gave me a temporary buzz.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    If it was a 650 with EVDO, I'd be buzzed too. Without EVDO, nothing doing.
    Nothing on the earnings conference call about the 650 coming to VZW. I figured one of the analysts would ask, but alas, no.
    I'm going to guess that we don't hear anything official until late April or early May.
    Now if someone knew someone who works for the companies that print VZW's brochures, packaging, anything that has to be done in advance of release, then we might know what's going on.
    I bet those people have to sign confidentiality agreements, too bad one of them couldn't drop a hint here.
    ok, i am in the s.e. usa and my local rep still stands by april release...yada yada....
    This story indicates the Verizon 650 was raised in the earnings conference AND that it will support EVDO - is this site reliable?

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7695

Quote Originally Posted by patchs
    Nothing on the earnings conference call about the 650 coming to VZW. I figured one of the analysts would ask, but alas, no.
    I'm going to guess that we don't hear anything official until late April or early May.
    Now if someone knew someone who works for the companies that print VZW's brochures, packaging, anything that has to be done in advance of release, then we might know what's going on.
    I bet those people have to sign confidentiality agreements, too bad one of them couldn't drop a hint here.
    Quote Originally Posted by cambridge
    This story indicates the Verizon 650 was raised in the earnings conference AND that it will support EVDO - is this site reliable?

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7695

My bad, the sound was cutting in and out on my computer during the call. I did hear EV-DO but not VZW.
    From this and other reports, it appears that VZW will offer a EV-DO capable Treo but it may not be the 650, instead a new model.
    If that's true, who knows when we may see it. End of 2005?
    I can't wait that long, my contract runs out in 2 months, if VZW doesn't have anything resembling a 650 out by late June, I'm porting to Cingular.
    I just got back from a VZW store and asked about the 650. The guy behind the counter gave the canned response about not knowing anything blah,blah,blah... And then I said I had read on the P1 website infocenter that at a press conference the P1 spokesman said "yes" when asked if the Verizon treo 650 would be EV-DO capable. The three people behind the counter all got visibly nervous and avoided eye contact while the one fellow gave some BS response about it only meaning that P1 had done testing for EV-DO. Meanwhile they all had a slight half smirk, half subtle smile, as if to say "we know something but we sure can't let it out yet." I then somewhat casually said, as I was about to turn and leave, that I had heard that the 650 would be coming out in the middle of April, he mumbled, half under his breath, "probably".
    Last edited by nolson; 03/19/2005 at 06:16 PM.
    All signs seem to be pointing to a release soon. I only hope that the lengthy testing will mean a reliable phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcfan
    All signs seem to be pointing to a release soon. I only hope that the lengthy testing will mean a reliable phone.
    But is it a regular 650 or EV-DO?
    I really don't care that much but it seems like it may delay VZW from selling it.
    recieved my Offical Verizon 650 last week..ya know what...my sprint 650 works just as good
    Pics please
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast