Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 259
  1. #61  
    While traditionally folks purchased PCMCIA cards ($49/$99) to access BroadbandAccess ($80), Verizon now also sells the BroadbandAccess-ready UTStarcom / Audiovox XV6600 which is basically a PPC-based phone in the same category as the Treo 650 -- only the Audiovox can connect at 300-500 kbps (in maybe 30 metros now). Although the website does not (currently) allow it, it's an optional plan you can purchase for $80/mo. (give them a call) -- so I'd argue that it has everything to do with margin (incremental cost to VZ approaches zero for each add'l $80/mo. BroadbandAccess sub (as it is with each $45/mo. NationalAccess sub), so why release an obviously better/more popular phone in the 650 (at least we can all agree about that, right? which maxes out at $45/mo. rev (for all-you-can-eat data), when you can force bandwidth-hungry users to $80/mo. (read, $35/mo. margin straight to VZ) on the 'comparable' Audiovox. Take away that $420/yr. per sub revenue/variable (at essentially zero cost to VZ) and VZ releases the 650 tomorrow (c'mon, how many of you out there have been using your VZ-650 for months now with zero issues? there's obviously more to the story than compatibility/testing). I agree that it sucks, but a pretty (business) smart decision on their part until Treo's can support VZ's BroadbandAccess (which I suspect is not very high on Palm's list).

    Wireless Internet BroadbandAccess

    Unlimited NationalAccess and BroadbandAccess
  2. #62  
    The new Pa1mOne bluetooth headset may make you consider jumping ship for a carrier that has the 650, if only for a few seconds:

    http://blog.treonauts.com/
  3. jstpa's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    #63  
    Bberry, your problem is that you have your facts wrong. BroadbandAccess on phones with a calling plan is $44.99 - period. The XV6600 plan for BroadbandAccess (with a calling plan) is $44.99 - period (it is not $79.99 as you say, you can see the link in my last post). No additional margin - period. If you buy the Treo, you get National Access for $44.99. If you buy the XV6600, you get BroadbandAccess for $44.99 - period.

    No additional margin - period. For some reason, people seem to think that BroadbandAccess is a secret $35 upgrade available only if you chant some sort of mystical mantra to your sales rep. It's not, unlimited wireless is unlimited wireless, whether it is 1xrtt or EVDO. The key is that you have to buy a phone that does EVDO. The Palm does not.

    VZW's business decision is not that they get additional revenue from broadbandaccess, but that they don't want to sell a smartphone at similar prices to the XV6600 that limps along at dial up speeds. That would make for some really angry Treo owners once they figured out what was going on. This is a good business decision, but not because of additional margin.

    The bad business decision is Palmone not putting BroadbandAccess high on their priority list. If I were selling a device, I would far prefer selling to VZW's huge customer base than to the first adopters on this board. (All this being said, there have been many rumors that Palmone is upgrading the 650 to do EVDO. If this is the case, I say BRAVO Palmone - you may yet survive.)
    Last edited by jstpa; 03/11/2005 at 07:47 AM.
  4. #64  
    Stopped at my local VZW store, tech told me that Treo 650 should be out on VZW "within a couple months."
    I asked him again to make sure I heard him right, he said from what he's been told, it should be late spring at the latest.
  5. #65  
    oh goody!!! I think... I hope... I dunno what I think anymore...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs
    Stopped at my local VZW store, tech told me that Treo 650 should be out on VZW "within a couple months."
    Also stopped by the local vzw store (was considering picking up a T600!), and the rep there said he knew for sure that the 650 was in testing, and the latest release date he's heard is Q2. He also admitted that vzw tends to overtest and that's why they are usually behind in releases. Finally- someone said it. As usual, take with a grain of salt. I'm just happy there is more than one rep who believes (perhaps wrongly, but oh well) that they're working on it.
  7. #67  
    I'm hopeful!!! Thanks for the ray of hope!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
  8. #68  
    I debated posting this because we all know that rumors are usually either wrong or the information changes. However, for all you fellow masochistic 650 hunters, I found this on Howard: Treo 650 in June?
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcfan
    I debated posting this because we all know that rumors are usually either wrong or the information changes. However, for all you fellow masochistic 650 hunters, I found this on Howard: Treo 650 in June?
    yeah, that thread is keeping hope alive for me...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
  10. #70  
    This morning I started seeing the infamous "pinstriping" on my VZW Treo600; I thought that I would be one of the lucky few with a perfect experience with my ORIGINAL Day1 Treo600. Now, I am faced with the dilemma -- live with it (and the temporary fixes found on these very boards) until the VZW650 does peek its head above ground OR go through replacement and take my chances on a refurbished model. It all depends on what happens today at the CTIA show...
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcfan
    Here's more to add to the discussion. The following is from the Treonauts blog:
    While there's still no official word as to when (or if) Verizon will release their own Treo 650 some sources claim that an early April release is likely. At any rate, Verizon will hold a press conference on the 14th of March at the coming CTIA show in New Orleans and it is anticipated (more 'hoped' than anything else) that they will make their Treo plans known then.
    Here's hoping everyone...
  11. pump142's Avatar
    Posts
    787 Posts
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    #71  
    i found the VZW exchange process fairly pain free.. as for the refurb, its been treating me as well as my original (with less scratches too )
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs
    Stopped at my local VZW store, tech told me that Treo 650 should be out on VZW "within a couple months."
    Yep, the VZW data team told me today that the Treo 650 was coming.

    I was calling them to complain about the mail implementation on the XV6600. There is absolutely NO viable email alternative to Pocket Outlook which is horrid. Snappermail is WONDERFUL on Palms.

    Although I prefer Palms and the plethora of available software, the Treo 650 won't help me until Palmsource fixes the time zone problem. I'm not holding my breath since Palmsource still hasn't addressed many other OS issues. A Palm Blackberry client might bring about a solution, however.
  13. 1234ipad's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    #73  
    Has anyoe heard anything re Verizon Treo 650 coming out of CTIA today?
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by 180to650
    Has anyoe heard anything re Verizon Treo 650 coming out of CTIA today?
    I haven't, but I've been looking around, as VZW was supposed to make some sorta statement. The HoFo VZW sub-forum is a hot-bed right now w/ regards to Treo 650 info. Seems kinda hopeful!!! Well see!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by s_strosberg
    The HoFo VZW sub-forum is a hot-bed right now w/ regards to Treo 650 info. Seems kinda hopeful!!! Well see!!!
    Well, hopeful - schmopeful... Seems like that was a non-event. Anyone hear anything different?
  16. #76  
    If the rumor of VZW offering the 650 in May is true, don't you think they wouldn't announce it until late April, so as not to hurt sales of the 600?
    That being said, I wish some kind of official confirmation would come out.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs
    If the rumor of VZW offering the 650 in May is true, don't you think they wouldn't announce it until late April, so as not to hurt sales of the 600?
    That being said, I wish some kind of official confirmation would come out.
    I can officially confirm that this is insane with the lack of an ETA for VZW!!! LOL!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
  18. 1234ipad's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    #78  
    Is anyone hearing/reading anything out of CTIA re Verizon T650? I am hanging by a thread. I was already to give up and go with Sprint, but then saw on this site there would be press conference by Verizon at CTIA. I understand CTIA ends tomorrow. I guess I can wait until tomorrow pm. If there's no promising news - I'm going Sprint.

    A desperate plea.......
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by s_strosberg
    I can officially confirm that this is insane with the lack of an ETA for VZW!!! LOL!!!
    We can always move to Canada:
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050314/sfm048_2.html
  20. #80  
    Well, today is the last day of the CTIA, we'll find out soon, but I really don't think they're going to announce it if it's not coming out until May or June.
    I know it's tough to wait, but I have a hunch our patience will be rewarded.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions