Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro7
    Newton Convert -

Subjective opinion overall = Absolutely good enough for my needs. I don't get disconnected often though maybe 1 time a session. I haven't nailed down the reason why (ie signal strength, my dial-up ISP). I have only used for simple things like web browsing for sports scores, etc. Mapquest is no problem, maybe a little slow but no real issue. The longest part of the process actually is connecting and once I'm connected, web use is very tolerable. Even better if I disable images from coming down thru the browser. It really is fine for emergency use. I haven't used much for OPO or IMAP mail, though I have used to connect to my web-based gmail account without problem. No experience with streaming though I'd expect it to be pretty poor. I don't use exclusively where I have a strong signal strength - I traveled down I-71 from Cleveland to Cincinnati and was online most of the time (it was a weekend) and I got booted maybe 3 or 4 times during the 4 hour trip.

Hope that helps.
    Jeff

I use mobile.palmone.com/ on my Tungsten C and since it has no graphics, it loads fast.
    I'm hoping that even with a slow dial-up connection, this will work for me to get sports and news on the Net.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcmascot
    I'm on Verizon DSL. Any idea if I'll be able to get onto their network without the data plan. Anyone with instructions please send me a personal e-mail.
    I haven't tried this, but I think I understand what I've been reading. If so, it is simple. To sign on to your Verizon DSL ISP from a Verizon Treo 650, you'll need:

1. A Treo 650.
    2. A telephone number provided by your Verizon DSL account for using their dial-up network, if they have one. Not all broadband ISPs provide a dial-up number for use away from the network. Some do. You need a *dial-up* connection, and some DSL providers give or sell that to you to complement their service.
    3. A script ... sometimes. Many dial-up providers are set up that no script is required. In those cases, you should need a telephone number, an account name, and a password.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmascot
    My Samsung phone holds no charge & I cant get a replacement charger. I'm using my car charger everywhere I go.
    I'm in the same boat. My daughter apparently stepped on her charger in her dorm room. She didn't want to admit she was clumsy, so she let the battery run completely flat and die. I was frantic, because my wife wanted to buy her a brand new replacement for the ancient Samsung N300 I sent with her to school. All of this was while we've been counting the minutes since late January for the Verizon Treo 650. I found a replacement battery and charger extremely cheaply by googling the phone model on the web. There were prices like $4.95 for a wall charger and $5.95 for an automobile charger and $5.95 for a universal step-down transformer that lets you plug any car plug into a wall socket. And, while I was trying to make my order $30 to get the free shipping, I found unbelieveably serviceable iPod replacement earbuds for $3.99 (they are just a little too bright in the high treble and a teeny tiny bit dull at the lows, but they are white!), a converter plug for G3/G4 iPod to Firewire for $5.95, and a bunch of other electronic schlock, too! I now have three functioning chargers for the Samsung which I intend to retire in mere weeks. (I'll sell you an extra for cost, if you'd like, but it sounds like you really need a new battery.) You can make the Samsung last a few more weeks pretty cheaply, because the accessory folks are dumping their accessories for the outmoded phones at clearance pricing.
    Last edited by Newton convert; 04/14/2005 at 09:34 AM.
    BTW, in my visit to my local VZW corp store yesterday, the 600 was not displayed. I asked the sales rep about that and they said they only had 2 left in the back.
    Maybe the 600s are almost gone which means the 650 is nearing its release.
    Right on, Newton.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    The Treo 600 without the camera is currently sold out on the Verizon Wireless web site.
    Take a look at this....
    http://www.younevercall.com/Treo_650_Verizon/

Now showing May 7th.
    when it finally gets here....it gets here, I will still wait for a while to switch from the 600 to make sure the bugs are gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton convert
    I haven't tried this, but I think I understand what I've been reading. If so, it is simple. To sign on to your Verizon DSL ISP from a Verizon Treo 650, you'll need:

1. A Treo 650.
    2. A telephone number provided by your Verizon DSL account for using their dial-up network, if they have one. Not all broadband ISPs provide a dial-up number for use away from the network. Some do. You need a *dial-up* connection, and some DSL providers give or sell that to you to complement their service.
    3. A script ... sometimes. Many dial-up providers are set up that no script is required. In those cases, you should need a telephone number, an account name, and a password.

So it's possible to use Verizon DSL instead of a data plan by connecting to my ISP? I believe in NYC they also have wireless hotspots for DSL subscribers. Can I connect to these points too? Anyone in the know?
    Quote Originally Posted by nutreo
    So it's possible to use Verizon DSL instead of a data plan by connecting to my ISP? I believe in NYC they also have wireless hotspots for DSL subscribers. Can I connect to these points too? Anyone in the know?
    That's a little beyond this thread, but I was just reading about that. Apparently, the Treo 650 doesn't do WiFi out of the box. But, try:
    <http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=64490>.... Humm. The cut and paste of the URL didn't work. It's at: TreoCentral.com > Treo Models > Treo 650 Hardware > T5 Wifi Drivers, will they work on the Treo 650?
    Last edited by Newton convert; 04/16/2005 at 03:43 PM.
    i spoke to local vzw rep about 650 and expects it soon. he said you MUST buy a data plan either 5,10MB or unlimited plan. they said this helps prevent inadvertantly transmitting data and get a large bill. told him i want to consolidate my phone/pda/ and pager(can use text msg). sound like a crock to me to get people to spend more cash. anyone heard of this. does sprint or cingular use this?????
    Quote Originally Posted by drpmr1
    i spoke to local vzw rep about 650 and expects it soon. he said you MUST buy a data plan either 5,10MB or unlimited plan.
    Sound to me like your local representative prefers a bit more commission with his early sales and wants to convince you that you need the data plan. Many of these stores are independent operations, so they can do as they prefer. OTOH, the Internet has made cell phones a national marketplace, so you can buy where you please. I'd guess you should buy from someone else. Several independent sources have confirmed that they will sell the Verizon Treo 650 with or without a data plan. Of course, nobody has product, yet, so we'll know the real truth once there are telephones and plans to sell. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton convert
    Sound to me like your local representative prefers a bit more commission with his early sales and wants to convince you that you need the data plan. Many of these stores are independent operations, so they can do as they prefer. OTOH, the Internet has made cell phones a national marketplace, so you can buy where you please. I'd guess you should buy from someone else. Several independent sources have confirmed that they will sell the Verizon Treo 650 with or without a data plan. Of course, nobody has product, yet, so we'll know the real truth once there are telephones and plans to sell. YMMV.
    Umm, I have a converted sprint 650 and when I had it activated, I did it right at one of the local Verizon stores (Verizon owned, not a retail) and I did NOT have to get a data plan. I was just using my minutres for the first few days anyway... until I discovered how everything worked and realized, that for my usage habits, I would be using a TON of mintues, so I went back to a DIFFERENT store and talked to customer service. They also told me thta I did NOT have to buy a data plan, but suggested that I did. I opted for the unlimited plan, but like I said, that's my usage.

At any rate, VZW customer service reps at 2 different VZW stores in 2 different cities told me that I did NOT have to get the data plan and they KNEW that I was using a Treo 650 and both stores were very familiar with how it worked because of the 600. So... unless VZW changed policy in the last 2 1/2 months....
    so let me understand, with NO data plan, you use your minutes and WITH A DATA PLAN, you don't use your regular minutes???
    Stopped by the VZW store around the corner from me this weekend. The rep there said they've still got lots of 600s and he expects to still be carrying the 600 when they get the 650. He's not sure how long they'll overlap.
    Quote Originally Posted by drpmr1
    so let me understand, with NO data plan, you use your minutes and WITH A DATA PLAN, you don't use your regular minutes???
    Yes and no. Verizon Wireless appears to have three data plans. You can buy unlimited usage for about $45 a month; 5M/mo. for about $30 a month; or mere access to the data network for which you are charged with plan minutes for about $5 per month. In the first two, you aren't charged for the plan minutes. In the third, you are. Nobody here talks about the third, but my local Radio Shack Verizon salesman checked with his distributor and confirmed that this data plan will be available for the 650. We'll see if it works out that way once there are contracts and products in the stores.

Alternatively, you can BYO (bring your own) ISP and dial into it using the 650 as a modem. You will get charged for this with plan minutes. The majority view seems to be that this is unreliable and slow because the packets are optimized for voice and aren't optimal for data blocks. Several people have noted that they've had tolerable or better experience with this "free" approach. (I say free because many plans include free night and weekend minutes, but you still pay with plan minutes for your calls when those minutes aren't free.)
    When I get my VZW 650, I'm going to try the ISP option first. Since I plan on using mobile.palmone.com only to get sports/news/weather info and not normal graphic-heavy sites, I'm hoping this works.
    If not, I'll try the $5 and plan minutes option.
    I have the VZW America's Choice plan and have my data minutes come out of my overall minutes and I don't pay anything extra. I've had this setup since the Kyo 7135 and now have it with the Treo 600. This weekend I was assured by a VZW rep that I can keep the same plan when they get the 650. You just have to keep asking until you find a rep that will do it. My experience is that the VZW reps are more familiar with this (or at least are more willing to offer it) than the independent retailers. It may have to do with how they get their commissions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnoble
    I have the VZW America's Choice plan and have my data minutes come out of my overall minutes and I don't pay anything extra. I've had this setup since the Kyo 7135 and now have it with the Treo 600. This weekend I was assured by a VZW rep that I can keep the same plan when they get the 650. You just have to keep asking until you find a rep that will do it. My experience is that the VZW reps are more familiar with this (or at least are more willing to offer it) than the independent retailers. It may have to do with how they get their commissions.
    I was informed today when speaking with a Verizon rep that the Trep 650 will not work the same way the 7135 does with data. It does not have EVDO and you must purchase a data plan in order to download data. Just thought you might want to know...
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213