Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast
  1. sj3
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by calvin767
    We still don't have a release date.... we can specualte and add in rumors as to what date it is available.
    We can also encourage Shadowmite to start hacking the vzw rom and speculate what he will do to it!

sj
    Spoke to a verizon billing rep and he gave me more info than the customer service rep. He says the they just finished testing the treo 650 and should be released to public in 2 months. I also asked about the samsung i730 and he said they got done testing that a week earlier and should also be available in 2 months. We shall see...............
    Engadget is reporting April 20th.

Erik
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton convert
    My local Radio Shack Verizon authorized rep just checked that with his distributor today. FWIW, he says he'll be able to sell me the Treo 650 with no data plan or with the $4.99 pay-by-minute plan. Of course, he still has nothing to sell and no precise ETA. He's hoping I'll have it by the end of the month, but he was careful to say he didn't really know.
    I spoke w/ my local VZW store, & the lady said they of course prefer to sell the Treo w/ a DataPlan, but it's not necessary. If you don't have a dataplan, & you connect to the web, it'll be a pay-per-kb type dealy...

And for the record, she had no idea if & when the 650 would be released!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    If I get a 650 and call my local ISP's number, can I get on the net?
    Can VZW tell the difference between a voice call and one to an ISP?
    Man, it's tough being patient for this thing to come out.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs
    If I get a 650 and call my local ISP's number, can I get on the net?
    Can VZW tell the difference between a voice call and one to an ISP?
    Man, it's tough being patient for this thing to come out.
    I'm not an expert, but you probably cannot. The algorithm used to compress voice data before it's transmitted over the network may not be able to handle the modem bandwidth, and will probably mangle the datastream. The same thing happens when you try to use a modem with Vonage, or any other VOIP carrier...

-Jacob
    Younevercall.com is the same company as inphonic.com which is the same as wirefly.com. If you click on certain parts of the site, it will redirect you to one of their parent sites. I've read so many things on how bad this company is (selling used equipment as new, not fulfilling orders, false advertisement and fraudulent charges). Somebody even posted somewhere that they keep changing their name because their prior names have terrible reputations. You shouldn't pre-order from them. See for yourselves the reviews for the other sites: inphonic.com and wirefly.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by vitasthefetus
    I'm not an expert, but you probably cannot. The algorithm used to compress voice data before it's transmitted over the network may not be able to handle the modem bandwidth, and will probably mangle the datastream. The same thing happens when you try to use a modem with Vonage, or any other VOIP carrier...

-Jacob

Thanks, oh well, it was a chance.
    With my Treo 600 I was able to dial into my ISP no problems. You'll probably need the logon script from your ISP, but after that, I had no problems connecting to roadrunner's dial-up for example. Only billed as voice minutes, not data of any sort. I assume the 650 wouldn't be any different.
    I assume the brand new (soon to be released) Verizon 650's will already have the 1.08 update in them before we get them, but who knows.

What do you all think?
    ~'kito
    You know a Blackberry is starting to look better and better, and I really don't want one of those things but at least I can actually buy one....
    Returned my Treo 600 on Monday (bought just before the 650 announcement). The VZW rep told me they will get them in the shop early May
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by camels1993
    Now that the 650 is coming...what is everyone going to talk about..what new rumors will surface?????
    Just wait until the first 650 owner sits next to the first i730 owner and finds out that his 650's data speed is only 25% that of the i730. Then we'll have plenty of stuff to talk about.
    Currently, I'm in Ireland and Vodaphone seems to be the market leader in wireless. After heading into one of their stores a few days ago, I found out that they offer unlimited data plans for 25 Euros per month, which is a little less than $30 USD. It's very interesting that Vodaphone, the joint-partner of Verzion, that is known in the US as VZW offers unlimited data plans for so much cheaper. In fact, Vodaphone has the only 3G network in Ireland...

The other thing that caught my attention is that vodaphone customers can use their phones on almost every continent - via roaming - except for the US. In fact, I called a friend of mine who lives in London on his cell phone and he answered in Capetown, South Africa. We talked as clearly as if we were in the same building with a full signal.

As my VZW cellphone sits in my hotel room, b/c I can't use it, I am strongly considering an unlocked GSM Treo 650. This experience has really opened my eyes to how "globally" useful the Treo 650 could be to me on the right network.

>Hope I didn't offend anyone on this board, but I'm sure such an experience would have you considering the same and eager to share that information with someone.
    I am from Ireland living in USA for 3 years - phones in general in US are way behind Europe - who are behind Asia. The US network is a different freq. to other countries around the world. People in Europe travel a lot therefore there is a market for global phones there. There is only a small % of people in US that travel outside it - that's why there aren't that many global phones available. Phones in Europe are in general more advanced and funkier. Plans are also more advanced and way ahead of USA(number porting years ago, rollover minutes for ages etc). I agree with you about the data access rate - I pay $50 with VZW - tha'ts as much as my cable internet!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro7
    With my Treo 600 I was able to dial into my ISP no problems. You'll probably need the logon script from your ISP, but after that, I had no problems connecting to roadrunner's dial-up for example. Only billed as voice minutes, not data of any sort. I assume the 650 wouldn't be any different.
    Perfect person for my question! What is your subjective opinion of the dial-up connection? Do you get disconnected often? Do you use it exclsively where the voice signal is very strong, or do you move around and have varied experience with it? Do you use it only for simple things, like grabbing email from a POP or IMAP server, or do you also challenge the connection with web browsing? I wouldn't expect streaming media to work, but, if you try to get directions from mapquest.com, does it work well enough for an emergency use? Can you see the maps on the tiny screen?

TIA!
    People, don't forget the stores get them several days/weeks after business customers do...so technically if they say Mid-May, it could be late April early May for those of us who are business customers.

Erik
    My business rep said middle to end of April. He told me that about 2 months ago. I spoke with him the other day, and he said that he was about to get his demo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton convert
    Perfect person for my question! What is your subjective opinion of the dial-up connection? Do you get disconnected often? Do you use it exclsively where the voice signal is very strong, or do you move around and have varied experience with it? Do you use it only for simple things, like grabbing email from a POP or IMAP server, or do you also challenge the connection with web browsing? I wouldn't expect streaming media to work, but, if you try to get directions from mapquest.com, does it work well enough for an emergency use? Can you see the maps on the tiny screen?

TIA!

Newton Convert -

Subjective opinion overall = Absolutely good enough for my needs. I don't get disconnected often though maybe 1 time a session. I haven't nailed down the reason why (ie signal strength, my dial-up ISP). I have only used for simple things like web browsing for sports scores, etc. Mapquest is no problem, maybe a little slow but no real issue. The longest part of the process actually is connecting and once I'm connected, web use is very tolerable. Even better if I disable images from coming down thru the browser. It really is fine for emergency use. I haven't used much for OPO or IMAP mail, though I have used to connect to my web-based gmail account without problem. No experience with streaming though I'd expect it to be pretty poor. I don't use exclusively where I have a strong signal strength - I traveled down I-71 from Cleveland to Cincinnati and was online most of the time (it was a weekend) and I got booted maybe 3 or 4 times during the 4 hour trip.

Hope that helps.
    Jeff
    I'm on Verizon DSL. Any idea if I'll be able to get onto their network without the data plan. Anyone with instructions please send me a personal e-mail.
    I need the TREO!!! My Samsung phone holds no charge & I cant get a replacement charger. I'm using my car charger everywhere I go.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast