Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    OK - I'm an ***** ... what is EVDO compatibility? If I'm using a Treo with my firm's goodlink server to push outlook email does this matter?
    Did he happen to tell you what this option is called ? Or what the Verizon code is in their system ? The people here in my local Verizon store have never heard of such an option. The only one they know of is a megabyte option and not a min. option. Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jgarcia
    Just left a wireless zone store. Very helpful salespeople. They informed me that the $45 plan is not the only option. You can pay a $5/mo. fee, and be charged for web minutes as regular air time charges. Free nights and weekends apply. This is a great option for me as I will only use web access for email and to occasionally find information.
    VZW does offer a 5mb plan for $29.99 per month as well as the $45 unlimited mb plan. See http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...Sort&catId=329. However, I've been told by other VZW customers with Smartphones (and read on other discussion boards) that you can use up the 5mb quickly depending on how much you use the data services (e.g., checking email, surfing the web, IMing, etc.)
    A few problems with their 5 MB plan.

They only update your data used record every few days so it makes it impossible to accurately gauge your usage.
    Emails can easily be several kbytes (10's of kbytes for newsletters) and web sites can easily be 100k or more if they have graphics.
    Since most treo apps don't disconnect you may rack up extra data usage.
    I am in Idaho and was told today by my B2B rep that the 650 is already in the distribution warehouse and that Verizon is just waiting for the 600's to be blown out of the warehouses. So I suspect that everybodies predictions of an end of month release are correct.

He also told me that with a new activation of the Treo 600 he can give the phone away for free!

I am already in his cue to get a Treo 650 as soon as it becomes available.
    Quote Originally Posted by HesNot
    OK - I'm an ***** ... what is EVDO compatibility? If I'm using a Treo with my firm's goodlink server to push outlook email does this matter?
    You goodlink service should work just fine with a verizon 650.
    You goodlink service should work just fine with a verizon 650.
    wow. all this is interesting. i spoke to a palm one rep the other day and he swears that the verizon 650 won't be out until july/august..
    as i say, when it gets here, it gets here..
    Quote Originally Posted by jgarcia
    Just left a wireless zone store. Very helpful salespeople. They informed me that the $45 plan is not the only option. You can pay a $5/mo. fee, and be charged for web minutes as regular air time charges. Free nights and weekends apply. This is a great option for me as I will only use web access for email and to occasionally find information.
    I would get with that option, even though I plan to use the tre for voice & convergence primarily...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    Last time I checked the $5 web option was NOT available for PDA phones, only regular phones so you can use the Get It Now web function on newer phones.
    Dear All,

I have a treo 90 that I use for database, epocrates, dive log, etc.... I would like to consolidate my cell phone and PDA, but I don't want to have to pay for internet use or e-mail.

I recently tried to buy a treo 600, but VERIZON told me that I could not buy it without paying for internet use some how.

With Verizon, I know that the 650 will not be available for a few months or more. For those of you using the 650 with Sprint or Cingular, can you turn off the internet or e-mail function or is the 650 like the 600 where you must have an internet/e-mail plan in addition to the voice plan.

Thanks,

JI
    Wow - talk about an itch. My wife just told me it was fine to get a Treo - either model - as an early birthday present! All indications are to wait for the 650 but as I mentioned I am pretty much stuck with Verizon as my provider - so it looks like I'll be tapping my fingers and toes until the thing is actually released.

I am becoming further convinced that the cellular business is just about as poorly run overall as the airline industry and perhaps the cable industry...
    Wow - talk about an itch. My wife just told me it was fine to get a Treo - either model - as an early birthday present! All indications are to wait for the 650 but as I mentioned I am pretty much stuck with Verizon as my provider - so it looks like I'll be tapping my fingers and toes until the thing is actually released.

I am becoming further convinced that the cellular business is just about as poorly run overall as the airline industry and perhaps the cable industry...
    My Wife has already resigned herself to the fact that I will be getting myself a Treo 650- hopefully w/ Verizon. She knows I've lusted after it for far too long, & it's too late to give up!!! Oh yeah... I will have a Treo...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    OK - I'm an ***** ... what is EVDO compatibility?
    Verizon is one of two carriers offering wireless "broadband" service. EVDO is Verizon's "broadband" wireless service. It's an improvement over AT&Tingular's EDGE service but EVDO is only available in 21 cities right now. Read all about it at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1771797,00.asp

UTMS is another broadband service from AT&Tingular but that's only available in 6 cities.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    but EVDO is only available in 21 cities right now. .

According to VZW's web site, it is up to 30 cities now. I was in Tallahassee last week and got EVDO access even though it is a small market and is not on the list. The list is:

Atlanta, GA - Austin, TX - Baltimore, MD - Boston, MA - Chicago, IL - Cincinnati, OH - Columbus, OH - Dallas/Fort Worth, TX - Dayton, OH -Hartford, CT - Houston, TX - Jacksonville, FL - Kansas City, MO - Las Vegas, NV - Los Angeles, CA - Madison, WI - Miami/Fort Lauderdale, FL - Milwaukee, WI - New Haven, CT - New Orleans, LA - New York, NY/Newark, NJ - Orlando, FL - Philadelphia, PA - Phoenix, AZ - Pittsburgh, PA - Providence, RI - San Diego, CA - St. Petersburg/West Palm Beach, FL - Tampa, FL - Washington, DC
    Now that the 650 is coming...what is everyone going to talk about..what new rumors will surface?????
    Quote Originally Posted by camels1993
    Now that the 650 is coming...what is everyone going to talk about..what new rumors will surface?????

Let's wait until it comes out on VZW, then we can complain about it, then we can talk about the next Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by camels1993
    We still don't have a release date.... we can specualte and add in rumors as to what date it is available.
    Friends who have a Verizon reseller franchise now say it will be May although company stores may get them sooner....
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo
    Last time I checked the $5 web option was NOT available for PDA phones, only regular phones so you can use the Get It Now web function on newer phones.
    My local Radio Shack Verizon authorized rep just checked that with his distributor today. FWIW, he says he'll be able to sell me the Treo 650 with no data plan or with the $4.99 pay-by-minute plan. Of course, he still has nothing to sell and no precise ETA. He's hoping I'll have it by the end of the month, but he was careful to say he didn't really know.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast