Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    unlimited data plan or 5mb for casual email checking and what not? Do you find you commonly exceed the 5mb if you have that plan? Is the treo 600 a waste on verizon?
    Last edited by ero2; 02/22/2005 at 10:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    do the data packages dig into your minutes? if I get the unlimited plan can I leave it connected ALL the time and not have it dig into my minutes? If I just check my email and don't download pics and what not, and occasionally will use maquest, and yahoo yellow pages, would 5 mb be enough? Sorry for all the questions just trying to figure out if this is the right phone for me.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    DATA plan does not use minutes.
    I've never had the 5 mb plan only the unlimited plan. however if you plan on using the 600 as a modem (pdanet), I would NOT get the 5 mb plan. it uses alot.
    I dont leave mine connected all the time mostly because im the kind of person who likes to control my connections, but it only stands to reason that the dormant connection would drain at least a little more power from the battery.
    A waste on verizon? no way. is the 650 converted better? depends on who you ask, but this is definately the most functional phone I have ever owned and would be screwed if I lost the on the go capabilities that I have with it.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    did they change the rates recently? http://www.verizonwireless.com:80/b2...Sort&catId=329
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I have the PDA phone plan, unlimited for $44.95
    not sure if its changed or just not listed
    No. The data plan does not use your voice minutes. If you get the unlimited plan then yes, theoretically you can leave it on all the time; Practically, however, it may not be best to keep it on ALL of the time. It really depends upon the coverage in your area. If it is not good, then battery life may suffer from an always open data connection. If it is good, then rapid battery depletion can be alleviated.

There are many members here who do keep an connection. For instance, when using email program like Chatter (which btw I HIGHLY recommend and for me was a reason in and of itself to purchase the Treo in the first place), you can keep folders "on-line" and have email come to your Treo push style, like a BlackBerry. There are other instances where users can keep on open data connection (eg Verichat).

5MB may be enough, but checking email, etc. is all relative. How much email to you actually get? How often do you use mapquest, yellow pages?

I have a the unlimited data plan. It's $44.95 if you have a voice plan over 300 minutes. It's $49.99 without a voice plan. Unless anything has changed recently, that's what I believe it still is. I like the peace of mind that I get with an unlimited data plan. I never have to worry about going over the quota and can use the data connection freely.

Quote Originally Posted by ero2
    do the data packages dig into your minutes? if I get the unlimited plan can I leave it connected ALL the time and not have it dig into my minutes? If I just check my email and don't download pics and what not, and occasionally will use maquest, and yahoo yellow pages, would 5 mb be enough? Sorry for all the questions just trying to figure out if this is the right phone for me.
    When your phone is connected (green arrows) calls can't come through so you don't want to be fully connected all the time.
    Forget the 5MB plan since it's not a lot and Verizon only updates your data usage every few days, which means you can't accurately judge how close you are.
    I had unlimited plan which was great when traveling but I switched to no data plan (minutes only) since I don't use it much when not traveling (and it's free at night and weekends)
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    so if I go with the no data plan it just uses my minutes, BUT if I use it at night (after 9) it is free right? I can live with not checking my email till after 9 since most of the time I am home or at work till 5-6 ish. So maybe I don't need the data plan? I have never used a treo before, so any tips or tricks would be appreciated. I think I will go with no data for a little bit and see if I wish I had it.
    Minutes only usage (MOU) is no longer supported when signing a new VZW contract. You have to get a data plan or you won't have access to data. Unlimited data is $49.99 w/o a voice plan, or $44.99 with a voice plan.

Some users are saying that if you add a picture messaging option to your account you'll be able to access the data network. If so, this is a loophole, because VZW no longer allows data users to use their minutes to access the internet.
    When you tell them you don't want a data plan, they now add the pay as you go option to your account. This is a per KB plan. I bought my phone in December, told them I didn't want data because I planned on using MOU. The system apparently puts the pay as you go in as default since they have had so many problems with people going over their minutes. I quickly found that I use the data a lot with this phone so within the first month I opted for the unlimited plan to save myself a ton of money.
    Boss - > Pilot -> Casioppieia A -> IIIc -> Clie SJ33 -> Treo 600
    NA MOU Data:

During peak times: You pay in minutes and for data (in KB)

During non-peak times: You pay for data (in KB)

It doesn't take much to get charged $30-40 in KB data charges, so I assume most users will end up with the overpriced $45 unlimited data plan (vs. $15 with Sprint).
    That's not MOU, that's pay per kb. MOU is Minutes Only Usage ie. you're only charged 5 minutes for 5 minutes of being online.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I called today just to try and try to get them to give me MOU, no go, only pay per KB.
    Sorry I was unclear.

MOU is DEAD

change to NA $OU!
    He's right. I went into a VZW store to inquire about getting my parents on two family share lines. The rep asked why I didn't want to make it a 3 line plan, and I said because I have MOU. He took one look at my account and said "I wouldn't do anything if I were you." I was persistent enough that I got them to add MOU to my account just before the new plans came out. The new plans don't allow for MOU at all. I'm on the old 400mins/$40 plan, but I still have MOU. Once I sign a new contract, MOU will disappear. He said he had no way to add MOU to my account if I were to make a change to my plan.
    I'm in the same situation as splufdaddy. Same plan and all.

I could get some benefit out of the new plans (coverage, and more minutes going to a family share option rather than two A/C 400 plans), but 1) don't want to lose my MOU, and 2) don't want to sign a new contract - as I am month to month.

If I'm faced with losing data or signing up for a plan, I'd like the flexibility of jumping ship without an ETF if I so choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdjenkins
    When you tell them you don't want a data plan, they now add the pay as you go option to your account. This is a per KB plan.
    I currently have a 500 text message plan for my LG (I am considering upgrading to a T600); do any of you know if you can use something like this with the T600? I can live with a per kb plan since I won't need to check my email or surf the web as much as others, but I'd be really disappointed if I had to go with per kb cost on text messages instead of securing myself a deal for 500.
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcfan
    I currently have a 500 text message plan for my LG (I am considering upgrading to a T600); do any of you know if you can use something like this with the T600?
    Yes, you can choose from any of the following packages:
    • 100 messages for $2.99/mo
    • 1000 messages for $9.99/mo
    • 2500 messages for $19.99/mo

It's not clear if the message count is only for sent messages or for all messages, whether sent or received. I suspect the latter. Messages over the limit are $0.10 to send and $0.02 to receive -- that is also the price per message if you have no messaging package.

And FYI, I'm a "moderate" data user (browse the web occasionally, use Chatter but not in online mode) and have 79 MB of usage in the past month. If I were on the 5 MB plan, at $0.008/kb I would have amassed $590 in data overages in February alone! Unless your data usage is extremely light, unlimited is definitely the way to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by jberman
    If I were on the 5 MB plan, at $0.008/kb I would have amassed $590 in data overages in February alone! Unless your data usage is extremely light, unlimited is definitely the way to go!
    Thank you, I really appreciate your feedback. I called VZW CS earlier and they had a similar response, but the rep had to put me on hold numerous times; this is a pretty good indicator that she did not know what she was doing.

Good looking out on the data usage. That gives me some good perspective. I guess $40 doesn't look so bad compared to $500.
    that was my thought exactly . . . 40 bucks a month isnt that bad. And I figure if I can afford this Treo i can afford to have the unlimited package.

Not to mention, being surprised with a huge bill.
    Treo 600 - Verizon | G5 1.8 Ghz DP | 1998 BMW M3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast