Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    They can't track you through your Hotsync ID, you make that up on your computer. How many of us have Hotsync ID's that say Treo650 because it is obvious. Derr.
    PS The developers won't suffer, they have been paid as far as they are concerned. Sprint and Handango are the ones that need to make up the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicegoogly
    They can't track you through your Hotsync ID, you make that up on your computer. How many of us have Hotsync ID's that say Treo650 because it is obvious. Derr.
    Actually it would be pretty easy if you've made prior purchases from Handango. All they would need to do is check their databse, I assume. I guess you could argue that someone else has the same HotSync ID as you. However, in my case, my HotSync ID IS my name and I've made numerous Handango purchases in the past. I wouldn't be too hard to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by michael82574
    Im sorry but i cant stop laughing.. Just enter another persons # LMAO
    So...steal because I didn't get my share?

[sarcasm] WOW...good idea! That'll teach 'em! Why didn't I think of that?[/sarcasm]

The folks that are stealing credit are not stealing from Sprint or Handango, they are stealing from other Treocentral members. This will DEFINITELY be shut down, and it will be fellow Treo users that get locked out. They will come across the deal a day late, and those that have abused it will have cost those that miss out.

Who cares though...I got mine, right?
    Palm III > Palm IIIx > HS Visor > HS Prism > iPaq 3650> Jornada 560 > nothing > Treo 650
    Has it been shut down yet?
    If someone stole your phone number and you still want to get in on it, some clown is actually "selling" his gift cert...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=73839

I'm sure there will be a line at his door.
    I legitimately got $400 for the 4 treo's I have so I have no guilt. But it seems that there is only a menu of 87 titles on the sprint promo site. I can't use the coupons on the other sprint/handango site nor on the regular handango. I am not complaining but I can't find $400 worth of software in the 87 titles that I really need. Is this correct?
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    I agree, that guy is lame. There is also no issue with the people who clicked multiple times (because the Sprint website is stupid) and accidently got a thousand gift certificate numbers in their e-mail. Think about it logically: most of the software seems to screw up the horribly designed and small internal memory. Even if you have a 1 gb card, many apps require some space on the internal memory. You got 1,500 buck in gift certificates, where can you go with all of it? Plus, stealing someone's phone number to get a gift certificate is nonsense. I have three lines myself, a Treo 650, a Treo 600 and an I 500. Most of us will not be hard to find since you put an e-mail address down to finish up the purchase, but not through Hotsynch ID's. Never use your name as your hotsynch id, it will help whoever steals your phone figure out your passwords and breach your security somehow. Unless you don't have kids, there is no need to name your device after yourself (jk). I don't agree people should exploit this to where sprint shuts it all down, but I cannot feel sorry for those that snooze and lose. It happens to all of us. I purchases a Tro 600 in August for 650 bucks. I just purchased a Treo 650 for full price at Sprint. PalmOne now screws us out of the case. PalmOne does not advertise the 128mb card and will only send if you ask, as if they don't know about the 4mb of free space you get with the internal memory. If it was not for my board surfing, I would not have known. Same with this link. Sprint does not deal out to their customers or show loyalty and now they have gone and done messed up with this gift certificate nonsense. I would like to know how many Cinglular users got a gift certificate today? Do you have a problem with them getting $100.00 from Sprint? I do, but I am not going to tell them to stop. The people I feel bad for is the gentleman who did not get his gift certificate. That is messed up. If the server messes up while you put in your code and give you fifteen of them, fine. I pointed out yesterday that I tested my girlfriend's verizon number and that worked. That was a very early post before the crying started. To that guy that had his number stolen, post your e-mail and I will send you my extra code. As I said, I don't care if Cingluar users join in on the fun, hell, the phone costs so much, but I don't want a fellow sprint prisoner to not be in on it, too.
    Last time I checked, you're supposed to own a license for each install of software you own. So while you'd have $400 across four treos, you'd also have four copies of each title too.

I hate to keep sounding like a software tighta$$, but I just hate seeing some of these small vendors getting screwed out of their just rewards. The build great software for our devices. I'm able to work more efficiently and from more locations. This translates into more billable dollars for me. It only makes sense to give a kick back to the software creator.

Oddly, I don't feel the same way about Microsoft. Hmm... interesting.
    Anyone else having trouble "checking out" on the sprint site?
    Sorry, accidently hit post and didn't finish my rant (I'm sure you are all disappointed). Back to Snooze and lose. I buy the Treo for full price, not you can get a free BT Headset, when I paid 180 bucks for mine a day before. It sucks, but I have to eat it when I am not on top of my game to get the best deal out there. I don't want people to screw a good thing up, but I am no one's mother and will not tell them to stop. Sprint could have made sure that the phone numbers entered were Sprint numbers in their database. Sprint could have required you to put your password in to redeem the code. Plain and simple, they were not exactly smart. I hope the exploitations stops from non-Sprint customers and Sprint customers can contain their greed. I will end with this, if a Treo 650 owner does not now about this software link by now, then he or she will probably never know. We all run through these boards daily for a reason: to make our treo experience a better one (and convince ourselves we passed up on a new surround sound system for a reason to buy this phone).
    No one disagrees with the need for a license for the software. The moral is did we earn more than a 100.00 to spend. If we all abuse this glitch sprint has, then that is more money to the developers. With free money, more people wound not mind spending on multiple copies for multiple devices. Since most software is registered to specific Hotsync ID, you would not be able to run multiple copies on multiple devices (provided they are named differently, you would crazy to use the same name for the same device, you are asking for trouble error wise). Bejeweled 2, for instance, is a perfect example of HotsyncID with registration code protection. Sorry, but if you want to protect developers, than you can't say you don't feel the same way about microsoft. They are not rules if they do not apply to everyone. Just selective privilages.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicegoogly
    ...Sprint could have made sure that the phone numbers entered were Sprint numbers in their database. Sprint could have required you to put your password in to redeem the code. Plain and simple, they were not exactly smart. ...
    The site is co-branded with Spirnt, but all the contact information on the site points to Handango. My guess is this is actually Handango's error. Regardless, this is an issue of code validation. They should be comparing the phone number entered to a database of Sprint customer numbers. And more importantly, they should not be appending numbers entered by customers to the validation table. Further, the pool of certifcate codes should be marked for usage only with authorized titles. For whichever company was responsible, this is simply a matter of poor programming.

As to taking advantage of that error, remember: not everything that can be done has to be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    I think I know what it's doing. Handango charges tax in some states (TX for sure). The Sprint basket checkout form only asks for your credit card information if your pre-tax total is >$100. If your pre-tax total is <$100 but tax pushes you over $100 it's too late to enter credit card info on that page and it defaults to some bogus credit card data, thus generating the error when you try to complete the sale.

I think you're okay if post-tax total is <$100 or pre-tax total is >$100. It's that inbetween of pre-tax <$100, but tax pushes you over $100 that the form doesn't know how to handle.

ERic
    Good insight - could very well be the root cause. Nice find.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    The site is co-branded with Spirnt, but all the contact information on the site points to Handango. My guess is this is actually Handango's error. Regardless, this is an issue of code validation. They should be comparing the phone number entered to a database of Sprint customer numbers. And more importantly, they should not be appending numbers entered by customers to the validation table. Further, the pool of certifcate codes should be marked for usage only with authorized titles. For whichever company was responsible, this is simply a matter of poor programming.

As to taking advantage of that error, remember: not everything that can be done has to be done.

I agree . It is just that there were easy measures that could have been taken to prevent "over use". Maybe they should have hired your to check it over. Would have saved them a chunk of change and put some in your pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler
    So...steal because I didn't get my share?

[sarcasm] WOW...good idea! That'll teach 'em! Why didn't I think of that?[/sarcasm]

The folks that are stealing credit are not stealing from Sprint or Handango, they are stealing from other Treocentral members. This will DEFINITELY be shut down, and it will be fellow Treo users that get locked out. They will come across the deal a day late, and those that have abused it will have cost those that miss out.

Who cares though...I got mine, right?
    You may have called it...I may exactly be a day late and $100 short. I just tried the site for the FIRST TIME and it is now down.

I sure would have liked to get my software...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmodine
    You may have called it...I may exactly be a day late and $100 short. I just tried the site for the FIRST TIME and it is now down.

I sure would have liked to get my software...
    just worked for me
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondeno
    Last time I checked, you're supposed to own a license for each install of software you own. So while you'd have $400 across four treos, you'd also have four copies of each title too.

I hate to keep sounding like a software tighta$$, but I just hate seeing some of these small vendors getting screwed out of their just rewards. The build great software for our devices. I'm able to work more efficiently and from more locations. This translates into more billable dollars for me. It only makes sense to give a kick back to the software creator.

Oddly, I don't feel the same way about Microsoft. Hmm... interesting.
    I agree. A license for each is necessary (even if not technologically at least morally). My point was that I now have $400 and can't find enough to buy. I will not be using the same software on all the devices. Someone mentioned in another thread that you can use these coupons on the main Handango site. Does anyone know how?

Finally, even though I am not abusing this I have a question for those people that are attacking the abusers. If this is Sprint's or Handango's error, aren't they the ones suffering and NOT the small developers? I would assume the small dev's will get compensated for their software unless Sprint or Handango start crying foul and it negatively impacts the small guys.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    The site does appear to be down for "maintainence issues."
    Smartphone Evolution:
    i330 (8/03), i500 (5/04), i600 (11/04), PPC6601 (12/04), Treo 650 (1/05), PPC6600 (10/05), PPC6700 (12/05), Treo 650 (6/06), PPC6700 (9/06), Treo 700wx (10/06)
    "This site is currently unavailable due to maintenance issues. Please check back again soon.
    We apologize for the inconvenience
    ."
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast