1.    #1  
    I have read several posts in regards to Verizoning a 650, one thing I did not seem to see was any discussion about legality.

I am wondering if there is any law or what kind of "trouble" could you get into for doing something like this? Any thoughts on the matter?

I desperatley want a Treo 650 for Verizon and am about to make the jump by buying a Sprint version, so any help would be apperciated.
    I don't think there's an issue of legality here.

You are purchasing a piece of hardware from PalmOne (or Sprint). Once you buy that hardware it is yours. It still carriers the Sprint logo, but that is through licensing and distributorship agreements between PalmOne and the carrier (in this case, Sprint).

I don't believe it says anywhere in P1's literature for the Treo that the equipment must be used with the carrier that is branded on the equipment. Of course, that's just assumed. Carriers (a la Cingular locking their GSM phones) can obviously influence the manufacturer (P1) to make it difficult to use equipment on other networks - but there is nothing illegal about it.

The only real caveat to Verizonifying your Treo is that its warranty is effectively voided.