1.    #1  
    Ok, I'm a newbie with a used Treo for Verizon. So, to make sure that I do everything right the first time.

Can some of you experts give me some advice on how to get it activated with Verizon?

Do I need to download any firmware updates, first?

Should I sync with my old Palm data?

Give me your advice on getting this Treo up and running with Verizon. BTW, I already have service with verizon and have web access with my current phone.

THANKS for your Help!
    Last edited by Medic005; 02/14/2005 at 09:00 PM.
    If this is a Verizon branded Treo 600 then initial setup should be a piece of cake. You should first do a system reset on the unit. I believe this is done by holding the center rocker up while simultaneously using your stylus to push the reset button on the back of the unit. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Next, give a call to Verizon from your landline and tell them you want to do an ESN (Electronic Serial Number) change. They will ask you for the ESN of the Treo. At this point they'll activate your Treo OTA (Over The Air). You're ready to go!

You say you have web access, but is that through Verizon's data plan? Or, are you just using your minutes to use the web? If you intend to use the data connection quite a bit I would strongly suggest getting the data plan. Verizon does not require that you get it - although some CSR's may say otherwise.

You don't need to download any firmware updates first.

Once you are up and running with Verizon you can sync with your old Palm data. Just make sure you have the lastest version of Palm desktop software.

Good luck!
  3.    #3  
    illustreous:

Thanks for the info. I don't currently have the data service, just the web access using my voice minutes. I'm going to see how much I use the web before I upgrade to a plan with data service, plus my plans are up for renewal in July, so I'd perfer to wait till then to see what deals they offer me to stay on with Verizon.

I've been with verizon for 12 years, back when it was Bell Atlantic Mobile and they have always bent over backwards to keep me as a customer.
    Just one caveat to using your voice minutes for data: disconnect!

Many here will tell you horror stories of 4-digit bills due to inadvertant, unneccessary or careless data connections. Perhaps this "problem" is specific to the Treo (on CDMA), but you should either a) invest in a Palm utility that shuts off the data connection after an application (ie Blazer, Versa, etc.) opens it. Some apps have a feature to completely disconnect from data and others don't; b) Go to Preferences and Network connection and make sure your data connection is disconnected when you want it to be.

Otherwise, it seems like you're pretty confortable with Verizon service

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Medic005
    illustreous:

Thanks for the info. I don't currently have the data service, just the web access using my voice minutes. I'm going to see how much I use the web before I upgrade to a plan with data service, plus my plans are up for renewal in July, so I'd perfer to wait till then to see what deals they offer me to stay on with Verizon.

I've been with verizon for 12 years, back when it was Bell Atlantic Mobile and they have always bent over backwards to keep me as a customer.
  5.    #5  
    I have read some other discussions on the disconnect issue and will keep that in mind. Thanks!
  6.    #6  
    Just an update:

I followed the steps that illustreous gave and call verizon and got the Treo activated.

Of course, the verizon rep told me that he couldn't activate the Treo without adding the Data Service to my plan. I explained to him that I didn't want the data service and if I was going to access the Web, then I'd use my minutes. He told me that the system wouldn't let him activate it without the data service, so I asked for a supervisor and was placed on hold. About a minute later the rep was back on the phone stating that he was talking to tech support and that the phone would be activated shortly. So, when all was done, the Treo was activated without the data service.
    Glad to see that it worked out.
    I'm in the same boat. I just a Verizon-branded 600 from eBay, and I'm a current Verizon user.

I feel like a complete moron for not being able to find this anywhere, but where do I find the telephone number to call to activate this thing?
    Never mind. Found it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic005
    So, when all was done, the Treo was activated without the data service.
    Make sure you follow up with that and keep an eye on your usage via your account web access.

Far too many times I've had (or heard of) a VZW rep tell me one thing only for reality to be completely different.