1.    #1  
    Hi:

I am interested in a family Nation plan. I am off course interested in Treo 650 and have bought Cingular but was trying to compare with Sprint since I am still in the trial period.

1. Both charges $70 for about 800 peak minutes for 2 phones with additional $10 extra per line.

Difference:

1. Sprint only charges $15 for unlimited data plan with only $5 for extra lines.

Cinglular charges $25 per line with no discount to 2nd line. Ahuge difference in the long run.

2. Sprint cahrges only $5.00 per family plan to extend the off-peak time by 2 hours per day.

Cingular charges $15 for the same.

3. With sprint for $5.00 a month, you can roam extra at no additional cost ( aslong as raoming is less than 50 % of total usage). No provision with cingular.

4. Better phone protection insurance with less deductible.

5. With Cingular you can roll-over minutes for 1 year, but if you do not have extra minutes, you still have to pay hefty 35 cents . With Sprint the extra minutes can never be more than 5 cents a minute with select higher plans.

I guess people are still going with Cingular just because it has a GSM system and they can theoretically use this phone outside the USA. How many times a common guy goes to Europe and Asia ? This feature may not be cost-effective if the phone is not unlocked and you are using hefty roaming charges.

Regardless I guess we still have to use extra international access code to dial USA. It is not just pressing one speed-dial button or selecting somebody from contact.

I do not renting a phone outside causes how much for those rare international plan ?

6 I am not sure about any faster rate with EDGE technology .

I am not trying to take side of any one carrier. But since I am in a trial period with Cingular, I'll appreciate all the useful inputs from you experienced guys.
    You summarized many of the reasons why I jumped to Sprint.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by neilweinrib
    Hi:

I am interested in a family Nation plan. I am off course interested in Treo 650 and have bought Cingular but was trying to compare with Sprint since I am still in the trial period.

1. Both charges $70 for about 800 peak minutes for 2 phones with additional $10 extra per line.

Difference:

1. Sprint only charges $15 for unlimited data plan with only $5 for extra lines.

Cinglular charges $25 per line with no discount to 2nd line. Ahuge difference in the long run.

2. Sprint cahrges only $5.00 per family plan to extend the off-peak time by 2 hours per day.

Cingular charges $15 for the same.

3. With sprint for $5.00 a month, you can roam extra at no additional cost ( aslong as raoming is less than 50 % of total usage). No provision with cingular.

4. Better phone protection insurance with less deductible.

5. With Cingular you can roll-over minutes for 1 year, but if you do not have extra minutes, you still have to pay hefty 35 cents . With Sprint the extra minutes can never be more than 5 cents a minute with select higher plans.

I guess people are still going with Cingular just because it has a GSM system and they can theoretically use this phone outside the USA. How many times a common guy goes to Europe and Asia ? This feature may not be cost-effective if the phone is not unlocked and you are using hefty roaming charges.

Regardless I guess we still have to use extra international access code to dial USA. It is not just pressing one speed-dial button or selecting somebody from contact.

I do not renting a phone outside causes how much for those rare international plan ?

6 I am not sure about any faster rate with EDGE technology .

I am not trying to take side of any one carrier. But since I am in a trial period with Cingular, I'll appreciate all the useful inputs from you experienced guys.
    Roaming is included at that price on Cingular. I have it. $59 for 850. Family. EDGE has proved as fast easily.
    Calls break through data transfer better with Cing. So Verichat and Chatter and in P1's literature.
    Better nation wide coverage.

No Bluetooth problem.

International usage much better, people who say other carrier lets you borrow phones for free are lying.

Custy service is much better both T-mobile and Cing.

Overall no comparision. slightly more, but much more service.

Also if you depend on messaging at all, no comparsion. Other companies does not think text messaging is necessary at all. They don't support it well, major delays, lousy service.

Go with what suits you best. Best coverage, best rate and best match for your needs. Everyone's needs are different.
    Last edited by cglaguna; 02/14/2005 at 08:53 AM. Reason: less aggressive
    cglaguna....you are of the opinion that Cingular has better nationwide coverage? Dunno...with Sprint you can add a $5 roaming option that lets you roam for half your minutes on partner networks.

neilweinrib....keep in mind that Cingular's $25 MediaNet option is not quite as flexible as Sprint's PCS Vision plan. With MediaNet, you will apparently not get a real IP address, and will not be able to use a VPN client to log into a home or business network. To do that you'd have to add a $40 PDA (email Xpress or something) plan.
    Just to put a different spin on cglaguna's post, here are my experiences with Sprint (current customer of 18 months) vs. Cingular (former customer of 2 years).

EDGE speeds on the Treo 650 are comparable or slightly higher than Sprint's 1XRTT. Took GSM long enough to catch up, didn't it? EVDO will blaze past EDGE and be rolled out faster than UMTS.

I've never had this problem of "call breakthrough" - if the data session is inactive - on GSM or CDMA - the call comes through. If the data session is active, your calls go to voicemail. Period.

Coverage is debatable - Verizon arguably has the best footprint, and generally wherever Sprint does not have native coverage, they'll roam on Verizon. Data coverage, however, does NOT roam, so Cingular does have the "edge" there.

No Bluetooth problem for me on the Treo 650. Tested 4 different BT headsets, too.

International usage - Umm...tell me again when I'm going to need that? Even IF I travel overseas on holiday, you think I WANT to be talking on the phone? Nope. It is called a vacation for a reason.

Customer service - In my experience T-Mobile has the best customer service. But their network is small, their coverage poor, and their data network is a full generation behind competitors. T-Mobile is not long for this world. Cingular customer service is - IMHO - among the worst in the industry. Just personal opinion based on experience. Never had problems with Sprint, though...

Overall - yes, there is a comparison. Sprint is an excellent provider, and anyone who has not used/dealt with all the providers is blowing smoke.

Never have I had problems with Sprints SMS implementation. Always works for me. No delays.

Be grateful that we aren't talking about Verizon, though. They're my least favorite...don't get me started...
    Don't forget that with Sprint you can't get Vision when you roam. The $5 extra is for voice only.

Don't forget with Cingular you can swap SIM cards and use as many phones as you want. With Sprint, you can't.

I agree Sprint has the best data price for phones and PDA's, and if you don't roam then you're okay. GSM/GPRS lets you roam in data mode.

Edit: oh, I almost forgot. Customer service sucks at both Sprint and Cingular.
    Two Words: Better Coverage.

That's the primary reason I'm on Cingular, more rural coverage in areas Sprint just doesn't go (Yet.) Same for T-Mobile, better prices, less coverage. Pull up the maps on both (Cing and Sprint.)
    By the way, EDGE is pretty darn fast. I'm lovin it.
    Not trying to Troll for Cingular (I'm not in love with them,) just adding my $.02 on the subject.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I'm well aware of coverage. I work with T-Mobile, Cingular/ATTWS, Sprint, and Verizon on a daily basis - I get paid to do that. And given all of my experiences - both personal and professional - I'll take Sprint out of the lot of them. I've been from rural upstate NY to rural NE Oregon (and places in between) and never had an issue with Sprint coverage (and/or roaming) when I needed it.

I'm not trolling for Sprint either - just giving my personal and professional experiences. I agree that Sprint's maps show less coverage, however I tend to think that most carriers GROSSLY inflate their coverage areas on their graphical maps - Cingular is no exception. Once you actually start to look at tower locations (Sprint is the ONLY carrier that will actually show you where the towers are located in your area), they all start to look pretty similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    slightly more, but much more service.
    He was talking about having two phones with internet..

"Slightly more" = $360 to $420 per year (depending if you get $10 or $15 vision)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    (Sprint is the ONLY carrier that will actually show you where the towers are located in your area)
    You got the link for that page? I remember being on there several months ago... tia
    Couldn't remember the link, but Google came up with this for "Sprint Tower Maps":

http://www.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/co...towermaps.html

Quote Originally Posted by Indicator

Coverage is debatable - Verizon arguably has the best footprint, and generally wherever Sprint does not have native coverage, they'll roam on Verizon. Data coverage, however, does NOT roam, so Cingular does have the "edge" there.
    The thing to keep in mind with roaming is that with a Treo, roaming on Verizon is limited. Just because Verizon's map looks great and Sprint is also CDMA, doesn't mean you get to roam all over it. Their coverage map includes areas where they have roaming agreements, usually with local providers that Sprint may not beable to take advantage of. Also, Since the Treo is a digital-only device, you have to look at coverage maps that don't include the analog-only areas. It's a much smaller universe then...

That said, Sprint still does have decent coverage in most areas. There was a decent article on the carriers in this month's Mobile PC, and the Cingular map looks pretty good, though they'll have to divest some towers as part of complying with the terms of the AT&T acquisition deal...
    And another good point that ties in with kategir's post above - Verizon's America's Choice plan does not include "roaming". There are areas where you WILL be charged 60 cents per minute if you roam with a VZW device. Sprint's America plans include ALL roaming - up to 50% of total used minutes - at the same flat $5 rate.

But as noted above, unless you dig deeper into the local coverage maps, you can't really tell where the towers are analog vs. digital, so VZW's maps are quite misleading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    He was talking about having two phones with internet..

"Slightly more" = $360 to $420 per year (depending if you get $10 or $15 vision)...
    I am curious, does Vision include Text messaging? I am about 500 messages a month because of my job. Is Picture mail and SMS included in that price?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Sprint's tower locator is nice, but it tends to get outdated.
    Without question, T-Mobile has the best map on the planet. I think it's called "personal coverage finder". It shows phenomonal detail (down to cith street-level) of their coverage, including relative signal strength.