1.    #1  
    I found this text at geek.com.

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...1208028158.htm

Sprint has awarded Lucent, Motorola, and Nortel infrastructure build-out agreements totaling US$3 billion. $1 billion dollars will be used toward the goal of deploying Sprint's new high speed EV-DO (Evolution, Data Optimized) network and its 1xEV successor. The network promises peak data rate speeds of 2.4Mbps, and is expected to be deployed to major U.S. metro areas in 2005, promising mobile device data speeds 10 times what Sprint customers currently experience today. Customers will need to utilize EV-DO-capable handsets and EV-DO-enabled PCS connection cards to take advantage of the new network when it is launched. Sprint has not given a definitive timeline regarding which metro areas will be a part of the network's initial launch. Considering the network promises peak data rates of 2.4Mbps, the wait will definitely be worth it. Read more from the Sprint press release.

Is the Sprint T650 capable of an upgrade to this new technology?

USER COMMENTS 3 comment(s)
    sprint 650 is not evdo compatible
    I wonder if the Verizon version later this year will be EVDO capable.

Any of you verizonized people testing your speeds? Post some results.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    I wonder if the Verizon version later this year will be EVDO capable.

Any of you verizonized people testing your speeds? Post some results.
    300-500 kbps avg on EVDO with an XV6600.

Don't know if the T650 radios will support EVDO. That would be nice for you guys.

Bob Duckworth
    T650 does not support EVDO. It is highly unlikely that if Verizon puts out the 650 that it will be EVDO as that would be an overhaul of the phone design. The next gen Cobalt Treo will probably have EVDO.

I have been testing Verizon EVDO laptop cards and indeed get 300-500kbps. That's just average; I can peak up to 1Mbps sometimes. It's very impressive but $80/month.

Sprint claims they will have EVDO in 50 markets by June/July, up to 50 markets/month after that and the entire network by Q1/2006. Rumours are that Sprint will have cheap EVDO for upcoming EVDO PDA phones but $80/month for EVDO laptop cards.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if EV-DO can support simultaneous voice and data? I've heard conflicting stories on this, but my original thought was that it would.
    That's EV-DV
    Actually, earlier this evening, in KCMO an EVDO area I was surfing TC when a call rang thru. the handset switched to 1x while I talked and then switched back to EVDO when I disconnected. This may vary depending upon BW available, but tonight, voice and data were concurrent.

Bob Duckworth
    Bob, you're such a show off. LOL, but we love your posts, both here and in PPC phone land.

I used to be with Verizon, but now I can't afford Verizon's monthly rates for data because I have to pay my own bill since I'm no longer a corporate guy. So, I settled for Sprint, but then because of the conveniece of GSM and SIM card swapping I decided I want to go with Cingular and the slow boat of GPRS and some EDGE.

The journey has been fun thus far
  10.    #10  
    After looking at other sites it seems that the upgrade to EV-DO is primarily a software upgrade at the network level. Yet most of you are saying that the T650 is not compatible with the EV-DO.

If you do a Google - EV-DO you get primarily network level information. THis information seems to imply that the handsets are not a big consideration in the upgade. Nokia, motorola et al don't seem to have any big plays in the google ev-do search environment. They don't have any big rumors associated with evs-do phones...

So my revised question is... Are any current handsets EV-DO compatible? Or do compatible handsets require some specific hardware?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I'm fairly certain that you need specific hardware (a different radio) to take advantage of EV-DO. Like all CDMA technologies it should be backwards compatible. So an EV-DO phone can fall back to 1x, etc.

Great to hear that a call rang through while web surfing! Could you actually continue to surf while on a call??
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Does anyone know if EV-DO can support simultaneous voice and data? I've heard conflicting stories on this, but my original thought was that it would.
    Simutaneous data and voice is not possible with 1xEvDo. Afterall the "DO" stands for data only. However, according to some discussions over at howardforums, it seems that it may be possible for dual data+voice but not at 1xEvDo speeds. That is: you can access 1xEvDo data transfer rates, but when you have in an incoming call, the handset automatically reverts back to 1xrtt. Thus you could possibly have data+voice, but with only 1xrtt speeds. I'm not sure what technology is involved here or whether this will be possible with all 1xEvDo handsets. Do a search over at hofo's for more info...

Regarding the Treo, it does not support 1xEvDo. Furthermore, it's been indicated that PalmOne views the radio upgrade as a major upgrade iteration in the development of the Treo line which may explain why the Treo 650 was not named the Treo 800 etc. It may be that PalmOne is waiting to integrate true 3G radios into next gen treos whenever they may be released (my guess late 2005/early 2006)...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Thanks GFunk. I knew the DO stood for data only (or more likely data optimized), but I didn't think that necessarily had anything to do with the possibility of simultaneous data/voice. I'll have to check out Hofo.

Nevertheless, I'm starting to get excited about EV-DO. Hopefully Sprint will get it deployed soon.