1.    #1  
    So I am on the verge of buying my 1st smartphone, and my research has lead me to decide on a Treo 650. I was hoping you guys could give me some advise. I currently have cell phone service with Verizon. What is the best option for email/internet (data) service? It looks like Verizon does not yet support the 650, but it can be "verizonized." But this will cost $45 a month for service. Is the service/speed better than Sprint? Or should I just keep my existing phone service, and use Sprint to support my Treo? I am just curious about the carriers speed and price. Also, if I go with verizon, can I use my same phone number for my cell and my Treo? Any pro or cons are appreciated. Is the higher price because EVDO will provide faster internet? And does Treo support evdo?

BTW, I live in Atlanta and the coverage is great for Verizon. Not sure about Sprint.
    I can't compare Sprint vs. Verizon data speeds. I suspect they are similar, since they both use CDMA. Sprint is definitely faster than GSM / GPRS. GSM / Edge is about as fast as Sprint, where you can find it. The Treo doesn't suport EVDO, so staying with Verizon won't help you there.

No, you can't have the same phone number assigned to two different phones, whether they are both on Verizon or not. The closest you can come to that is with a GSM carrier, where you can swap the SIM card between two devices. But only on will be active at any given time.

Where Sprint clearly comes out in front is in data costs. $15 a month for unlimited data is hard to beat. Whether to keep your Verizon phone probably depends on how you feel about carrying two devices and money: How much will it csst you to get out from under the Verizon contract, and how much money will you pay per month to keep the Verizon line intact? When my wife had a Verizon phone, it would have cost us $175 to terminate it early. Of course, if it will cost you $400 in monthly fees to wait until the contract is up, terminating it might make sense. Personally, I got my Treo so I wouldn't have to carry both a phone and a PDA, and paying both Verizon and Sprint for phone service wouldn't make sense to me, unless you really need two lines.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    i am in the same boat with this . . . have a family share paln with 3 lines (Verizon) and dont want to break that up and pay the early termination fee.

On another note, Verizon has a new family share plan, so if I were to upgrade to a Treo 600 and add the 44$ unlimited internet I will only be spending 20$ more a month. So I guess that better than getting another phone with another new number from sprint, cingular or Tmobile which would end up costing me 60 more a month and I didnt fix the problem of carrying 3 devices with me, the third being the trusty ole iPod . . . YES I am a Mac Dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtdesigns.com

...On another note, Verizon has a new family share plan, so if I were to upgrade to a Treo 600 and add the 44$ unlimited internet I will only be spending 20$ more a month...
    And you'll be stuck with a 2 year contract too.