Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    That is what I am asking myself. I am a current Sprint customer using a T608 Bluetooth Phone. My contract doesn't expire for another year. I can purchase the phone for $599.99. Is the 650 worth this much? I plan on selling my Zodiac 2 and T608 on Ebay so that lowers my out of pocket cost a bit.

Has anyone seen the 650 for cheaper? Do you think the 650 is worth $599.99?
    NO, I don't think ANY Smartphone is worth $600. I got the T300 for $250 after credits and rebates. I also got the T600 when it first came out for $250 after credits and new contract. If I can't get the next Treo for <$300, then I won't. I'll forego the T650 - not enough of an upgrade to justify price.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by webdave
    That is what I am asking myself. I am a current Sprint customer using a T608 Bluetooth Phone. My contract doesn't expire for another year. I can purchase the phone for $599.99. Is the 650 worth this much? I plan on selling my Zodiac 2 and T608 on Ebay so that lowers my out of pocket cost a bit.

If you're asking if it's worth it to you, you're the only one that can answer that question.

If you're asking if this is a good market price for an unsubsidized phone, I'd suggest looking at the unsubsidized prices for various phones on Mobilebee.com or eXpansys.com, or even other phones that Sprint offers at unsubsidized prices.

A few smartphone examples from mobilebee, where the Treo 650 is listed unsubsidized at $599.99:

Sony Ericsson P910i = $679.99
    - Symbian OS 7
    - Twice as much built-in memory, but only tri-band GSM, no EDGE

Motorola MPX220 = $479.99
    - PocketPC
    - 64MB ROM, quad-band GSM, better camera, no EDGE, only 176x220 resolution

HP H6315 = $599.99
    - PocketPC
    - 64MB RAM, 64MB ROM, tri-band GSM, WiFi instead of EDGE, 320x240 (almost as good as the 650)

I think the Treo 650 is very comparable to general market pricepoints.

Of course, subsidized prices are much cheaper across the board, and vary quite a bit based on carrier/distributor, etc. But I think you'll find even there that the Treo compares well to its competition.
    I didn't think it was worth it - however, I LOVE THIS PHONE

if you're a power phone user, then buy it, get insurance, and don't look back
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    it's not worth it - at least in terms of dollars. now if you can afford it and you want a nicely integrated device, then by all means - jump on it. But there's no way my 650 is worth what's damn near the price of a decent laptop. I paid $350 for mine via vienna channels. At $599 I would still be using my sanyo 8100 and tungsten/t.
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    I feel that it's worth it. I paid full price. I think $599.00 is a fair price for a device that keeps me entertained for hours on end. I don't use it for business i'm just a gadget geek. I use to carry a pda and a phone, the treo is so much more convienent. the first week that I owned it I was kind of wondering if I should return it because of the price. but as time went on I could'nt imagine being without it. try it if you don't like it return it before the trial period is up. what do you have to loose?
    i sell sprint phones and can tell you that our store buys the phone for about $705 (all retail prices are lowered from cost because we get paid when we start/extend a customer's contract). $600 is not a bad price seeing that you are only a year into your contract. if you can wait till you've been using your current phone for 18+ months then you can get a $150 mail-in rebate off $600 (this would require extending your contract for 2 years though).

people only see the price of the phones with rebates from being new customers and don't realize that the phones actually cost a lot more than that. i'd rather buy a phone for a higher price and not be caught in a 2 year contract
    "Apple is for creativity, Linux is for productivity, Windows is for Solitaire."
    Quote Originally Posted by webdave

Outside of the philosophical dilemma, I think you can get a better price. I bought mine in the marketplace forum on TreoCentral and got a brand new shrink wrapped Sprint PCS phone for $515 shipped. No contracts...just the phone.

Sprint activated it and also let me sign up for the protection plan no questions asked! Heck, even got the $100 in Sprint/Handango credit this week.

Good Luck!
    I don't think any phone is worth $600 either. Hell, you can get a laptop for $699 these days; not a very good one, but a laptop nonetheless. I did pay $650 for an unlocked SX66 pocket PC phone, but I was sure to return it before the trial ended. I paid $479 for the next one (Sprint CDMA, this time), and got a free DVD player with it worth $179, making the phone price $300. Subtract an additional $40 mail-in rebate and my final cost is $260. Hmm. Still too much. I gotta find a way to get Sprint to give me more discounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    I don't think any phone is worth $600 either. Hell, you can get a laptop for $699 these days; not a very good one, but a laptop nonetheless. I did pay $650 for an unlocked SX66 pocket PC phone, but I was sure to return it before the trial ended. I paid $479 for the next one (Sprint CDMA, this time), and got a free DVD player with it worth $179, making the phone price $300. Subtract an additional $40 mail-in rebate and my final cost is $260. Hmm. Still too much. I gotta find a way to get Sprint to give me more discounts.
    you thought $260 was too much for a smartphone? i don't want to sound mean, but that's kind of rediculous. if you're comparing laptops to phones, i'm pretty sure there aren't many laptops you can make phone calls on while in a car. remember, the treo is basically an ipod photo, low quality digital camera, low quality camcorder, device where one can browse the internet anywhere on the network, and, of course, a phone.

this whole thing is a matter of opinion though. mine is that i'd be willing to pay $600 for a badass phone if it means not having an extended contract. and if i didn't have the grea plan that i have, i wouldn't buy the treo.
    "Apple is for creativity, Linux is for productivity, Windows is for Solitaire."
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    I'm almost certain you said you ditched Sprint in another thread. What gives?
    Quote Originally Posted by team_ninja
    i sell sprint phones and can tell you that our store buys the phone for about $705 (all retail prices are lowered from cost because we get paid when we start/extend a customer's contract). $600 is not a bad price seeing that you are only a year into your contract. [...]
    While it's always interesting to hear straight talk about the actual behind-the-scene economics of this bizarre industry, that really isn't the question that was asked. is $600 a good deal relative to the 'unlocked' price or the price the carrier has to pay? Mabye it is, maybe it isn't. The question asked, however, was whether it was worth it.

I've been wondering the same thing as I research my next smartphone. Right now, based on the sheer weight of problems I see involved with the Treo650 -- both Sprint and GSM -- and the steady stream of customer-support nightmares I'm reading as people try to deal with those issues, I have to say no, it's not worth it. A Treo 650 that actually worked would probably be worth it. But I, myself, am holding out for either a significantly lower price, or a significant improvement in the stability and quality of the product.