1.    #1  
    Anyone had experience roaming w/ their Sprint Treo to Australia? I've heard it works, just wondering if anyone has addtl details. ie. cost per minute, which carrier you're roaming onto, etc.
    you need to sign up for intl roaming, around 3 bux a month, and also pay activation fee of 36 bux, then the charge is probably around 1$ a minute.
  3.    #3  
    Sprint customer service swears up and down I have to switch to a GSM phone to roam in Oz. No other comments?
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Yes, that's true. CDMA is primarily only in the US. There are some countries in South America that use it, but GSM is the world standard.

Joe
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone have any updates on roaming down under? Australia DOES have CDMA coverage, and CDMA service is actually available in a wider area of Australia than GSM. According to Sprint's website, however, you need a GSM phone to roam in Australia. The optimist in me hopes that Sprint just doesn't know what it's talking about and my Treo will work fine, but I fear Sprint has no roaming agreement with the Australian CDMA provider (which appears to be Telstra, the same provider as the GSM coverage). The roaming rate, FYI, is $1.50/minute. For comparison, T-Mobile is $1.49/minute and Cingular is $1.69/minute.

Anyone actually try using a Sprint Treo 650 in Australia?

-m
    Quote Originally Posted by merrickdb
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone have any updates on roaming down under? Australia DOES have CDMA coverage, and CDMA service is actually available in a wider area of Australia than GSM. According to Sprint's website, however, you need a GSM phone to roam in Australia. The optimist in me hopes that Sprint just doesn't know what it's talking about and my Treo will work fine, but I fear Sprint has no roaming agreement with the Australian CDMA provider (which appears to be Telstra, the same provider as the GSM coverage). The roaming rate, FYI, is $1.50/minute. For comparison, T-Mobile is $1.49/minute and Cingular is $1.69/minute.

Anyone actually try using a Sprint Treo 650 in Australia?

-m
    My father did it. And it worked. He only used the phone a little, and his per minute charge was $1.46. He called his hotel (he was lost) and he called me in the States to tell me that it worked. Now the kicker. He did not have the three dollar international roaming rate applied when he did this.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    This is my third visit, and it still doesn't work. There is a CDMA signal, the phone goes into digital roam mode, the time gets set correctly, but no number works. I also cannot receive calls. I guess sprint hasn't negotiated a deal with Telstra or whoever it is that has CDMA service here. This sucks.

oh, btw... I'm in Melbourne. Sprint does say they have an agreement with a CDMA provider in New Zealand, but I haven't gone there to try it yet.
    Last edited by CoolGui; 11/30/2005 at 03:47 AM. Reason: adding nz info
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolGui
    This is my third visit, and it still doesn't work. There is a CDMA signal, the phone goes into digital roam mode, the time gets set correctly, but no number works. I also cannot receive calls. I guess sprint hasn't negotiated a deal with Telstra or whoever it is that has CDMA service here. This sucks.

oh, btw... I'm in Melbourne. Sprint does say they have an agreement with a CDMA provider in New Zealand, but I haven't gone there to try it yet.
    ...as I said earlier my father did it, but he was in Perth, I believe. He did go to New Zealand as well, but I didn't ask if it worked there. Now here's another strange tidbit: Dad's in Greece right now, and is roaming digitally. Works fine. Maybe this "must have GSM" thing isn't as true as people would have us believe?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Well, the radio on the Treo will always try find a cell, but if Sprint doesn't have a roaming agreement with CDMA carriers in that area, you wont be able to actually make or recieve (except for emergency) calls.

If Sprint sez, "You need a GSM phone." that likely means that the carriers they have roaming agreements with have GSM networks, so you'd have to do one of those rentaphone things through Sprint. Seems to me it would be cheaper to just do a prepaid phone type thing in whatever country you're visiting, or start a new plan with Cingular and keep the rate plan at the lowest possible until you need to use it internationally.

Many countries also allow you to buy pre-paid SIM cards, so getting an unlocked GSM phone via ebay would be another solution.
    The whiny minority always out-posts the contented majority.
  10.    #10  
    Didn't have any luck when I went down there in March. Could pick up signal, but all I could do was dial emergency services. Ended up purchasing a prepaid SIM / cheap Nokia that got me by for a few days.
    I would believe Sprint and figure it's not going to work there. Once you're in Australia it would be quite hard to contact Sprint. Here's a great alternative in my mind. I would get the "follow me" option. I used it in Europe and it worked great and was not extremely expensive.

http://www.cellhire.com/content/cell-phone-aus.htm