1.    #1  
    So after selling my 600 and buying the SMT 5600 (love the size of this thing but I miss all the great apps) I thought it may be time to try the Treo 650. So I ventured into a Sprint store today and decided to try the 650 for the 14-day trial. When setting up my account, the sales rep said that I must pay a $125 deposit (first time Sprint customer). When asked why he couldn’t give me an answer. He said that I would get it back after 11 billing cycles (12 months). I declined and decided to call customer service. They told me that all new Sprint customers must pay a deposit (I don’t believe it). Then they said that is because of my credit (again don’t believe it, I have excellent credit scores with all three agencies). So I told them that I have excellent credit and they said that they don’t know why it is required.

Are all new Sprint customer required to pay this? Is this the type of customer service I should expect from Sprint? Is there anyway around this? If there is no way around this, is the phone really worth paying the $125 deposit?

Cingular is not an option. Tested their network and where I live is one big dead spot.
    better check your credit reports for innaccurate info
    It could be due to too many returned Treo650's.

Unlike hardcore Treolanders, there are many people who are simply curious about all the noise, and want to try it for 14 days and return it after having a few resets.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstevens
    So after selling my 600 and buying the SMT 5600 (love the size of this thing but I miss all the great apps) I thought it may be time to try the Treo 650. So I ventured into a Sprint store today and decided to try the 650 for the 14-day trial. When setting up my account, the sales rep said that I must pay a $125 deposit (first time Sprint customer). When asked why he couldn’t give me an answer. He said that I would get it back after 11 billing cycles (12 months). I declined and decided to call customer service. They told me that all new Sprint customers must pay a deposit (I don’t believe it). Then they said that is because of my credit (again don’t believe it, I have excellent credit scores with all three agencies). So I told them that I have excellent credit and they said that they don’t know why it is required.

Are all new Sprint customer required to pay this? Is this the type of customer service I should expect from Sprint? Is there anyway around this? If there is no way around this, is the phone really worth paying the $125 deposit?

Cingular is not an option. Tested their network and where I live is one big dead spot.

The CS rep was wrong, not all new Sprint customers have to pay a deposit. That woudl be absolutely insane, and who the heck would get Sprint then anyway! Most likely your account was flagged for some reason. I would also advise you to check your credit report. You never know what may have flagged your account....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    better check your credit reports for innaccurate info
    I did and there is nothing negative or inaccurate on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    It could be due to too many returned Treo650's.
    Collect interest on my $125 for one year (and all other new Sprint Treo 650 buyers). Interest goes to subsidize all the returned 650’s. Need to pay for it somehow.
    It's actually sprint's way of covering their ***. During that 14 day trial you will use minutes. If you diside not to go with sprint, you still have to pay for the minutes. It's easier for them to take that balance out of your deposite and send you the diference. This way they are not trying to bill you for something that probablely won't get paid.(not you personally). This is the factually reason for this. I have a nieghbor who works for sprint. As far as the credit score issue. for the most part a lower score will flag you, but according to my nieghbor it also depends on a random purchasing model. I can say a few things about sprint. one; I live in Arizona and haven't one problem with their service. No dropped calls and reception for days, even in the sticks. I'm not sure how other companies are but Sprint has always treated me well in the c/s arena. I had to put down the deposite with my phone and my wife and I share a darn good score ourselves and on the last day of our eleventh month, the money was credited back to our account. it was kind of a nice surprise. I hope this helps a little.
    dstevens -

Just picked up my Treo 650 plus another phone today, first time Sprint customer and I activated 2 lines, no deposit required. Not sure why you were asked to pay a deposit - usually it is a credit thing...
    I was at the Sprint store as well today and they approved me for up to 2 lines with no deposit. I just went by to try out the 650 and fell in love with it, so now that I'm approved for an account I'll be going back next weekend to sign up and get the Treo (just waiting for my tax refund )
    The only deposits on Sprint phones are for credit reasons, some people can open up service without deposits on 1-5 lines, others need to make a deposit from the start. Either you, or Sprint has inacurate credit info.
    Precisely it is for credit reasons, when i activated my 650 (just 2 weeks ago). The rep said i was approved for up to 10 phones. Something on your credit has flagged your account your credit score is NOT all they look at. If you have a single negative record on your credit report from another phone company they will ask you for a deposit.

On the positive side Sprints deposits are less then half that of their competitors. Nextel charges $250-$500 and wants it for 2 years !
    Nope, never asked to put down a deposit either. Curious dstevens, did they put you on a spending limit as well? I know Sprint has some plan like "Clear Pay", or something to that effect. Not quite pre-paid, but they set a spending limit.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  12.    #12  
    Well after a few phone calls today to customer service (NO help at all), and one to the Ken Lauer, I got the problem resolved. For some reason a “right off” was appearing on the credit report that Sprint or their third party agency was using. The right off does not appear on any of the three major agencies. Apparently it was some else’s name on the “right off” and Sprint realized that this is an error.

So no deposit and one new Treo 650. I just hope Sprint’s coverage is worth all the hassle I went through over the deposit.

Thanks for all the feedback.
    Glad you got it solved! Enjoy your toy.