1.    #1  
    Hi,

I've been reading and searching through the forums for a few days now in preparation for making an order for a pair of 650's for me and my wife. We're in Los Angeles currently with T-Mobile, and want better coverage, less dropped calls, and no more of that stupid text message VM notification. (All that said, T-Mobile CS has been outstanding, and my T600 works pretty well with them). Anyway, could anyone help me so that I can make a final decision?

1) Sprint data is $15 unlim, Cingular is $20, possibly moving to $40. My question is, will Sprint hassle me if I want to use my 650 as a modem for my Apple PB? Or if I auto-check emails every 30 minutes? Just curious how lenient they will be as far as "unlimited".

2) I travel a lot on biz, and go to Europe 2X a year usually. I'm thinking of keeping an unlocked T-Mo Nokia and just using a pre-paid UK SIM over there instead of paying $1-$2 per minute for international roaming. Does Sprint have any sort of number forwarding protocol I could use for that scenario?

3) If my wife and I both got 650's, are there any better deals to be found than $319 on TC? Any perks for two purchased, in other words?

4) If I got a 650 and my wife wanted a different Sprint phone, how would we handle that if I wanted to order from TC? I'll definitely call them Monday morning and ask, just curious if anyone had the answer over the weekend.

5) If I'm travelling the US with my 650 on Sprint, will I be able to access data services most of the time that I'm on the Sprint network, or only in cities, for instance? And if I'm roaming (which there seems to be a lot of, according to Sprint's coverage map), it looks like I won't be able to use data, correct?

Thanks so much for the help.
    Best,
    Justin
    1) sprint data is the best deal and I'm a very heavy data user and no complaints.
    2) sprint has call forwarding but it uses up your minutes...one difference with GSM which I think can forward calls w/o using minutes. but whatever, if you got the call on your phone you'd use the minutes anyway.
    5) data is all over pretty good. route 88 from binghamton NY to Albany... data the whole way, listening to streaming internet radio through the treo. same for the length of vermont.

sprint is the best I think
    Just another data point, I stopped in at the Cingular store in Salt Lake City and was told that when they get the Treo 650 (in a couple weeks), they'll only be able to sell it with a subscription to a $44.95 unlimited data plan. I'm thinking I may just go with Sprint after all.
    Polite: I was thinking about going with either Cingular or Sprint, but seeing as I'm getting free internet from Sprint + 18% off of my bill for two years, I went with Sprint. They also have the fastest network, from what I read. I'm not swift with these forums, but search "I found the best deal" somewhere, and you'll see the thread.
    End of Line.
    PS. I'm in LA too; Hollywood.
    End of Line.
  6.    #6  
    Hey everyone,
    Thanks VERY much for your perspectives. This helps.

Pbzvariety: how's your Hollywood reception? How about data services? I live in Los Feliz...Sprint used to be pretty bad here, especially on Hyperion Ave.
    Talk about a late reply. Still getting used to these boards...

Uh... I here that Hollywood is actually the only problem area. Mine works fine, but just down the street, it's been known to cut people off. Los Feliz is b***ch for cell phones period. But I love it there.

If you ever want, I can contact you next time I drive through there.
    End of Line.
    Sprint call forwarding is $0.10 per minute + any long distance charges. If call forwarding on Sprint works in Euprope, which I doubt(?), you'll be charged much more than the international roaming you get with Cingular or TMobile. In either case, you're better off with your prepaid SIM and an unlocked GSM phone when in Europe.

There is no Sprint data roaming. The $5 unlimited roaming applies to voice only.
    does Cingular charge for call forwarding?
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HasanDaddy
    does Cingular charge for call forwarding?
    There is a plan called "FastForward" which is $2.99 per month, but doesn't burn minutes. But not all phones apply, so you'll have to call Cingular.
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
    What you could do is just list a landline or VOIP number and have it forwarded to your cell or wherever you might be. I have a friend who does this and I'm thinking of porting my cell to VOIP, having Sprint cancel my voice-mail and blocking the caller ID on my cell.

Incoming calls would go to the VOIP provider's switch, go through a filter of people I may or may not want to hear from and either be forwarded to the cell or go straight to voice-mail. While at home, I'd simply remove all forwarding and have all calls ring to the VOIP adapter, thus saving on incoming minutes as well as having unlimited domestic (and international to some countries, depending on the carrier and plan) calling capabilities from home.

- Robert
    I waited until Cingular released the 650, and examined their offering.

I was a long time (and quite happy) VZW customer. I'd still be a VZW customer if they had the 650.

Anyway: I looked at what Cingular had and opted to go with Sprint for two reasons:

1) VERY bad experience with Cingular a number of years ago that I'm still a little bitter about.

2) Sprint was cheaper.

3) CDMA 1xRTT data is slightly faster than the GSM edge. (Perhaps not enough to notice, so this might be a moot point ...) but why opt for a wee bit slower. <GRIN>

4) Data was much cheaper on Sprint, and they tossed me two months free. I also liked Sprint's "Fair and Flex" plan.

----

Looking back: (Had the phone nearly 2 months)

I couldn't be happier. Sprint's service coverage is as good as I had with Verizon. (Pleasant surprise!) I've now made 3 trips and have had no outages. The thing even works in the elevator at the office! (*NO* other provider that I've tried can make that claim ... even VZW!)

About a day after I switched to Sprint my office switched our corporate phones to Cingular. I've now had a chance to evaluate their service, and more importantly .... their customer service. I'm sad to say that the issues that annoyed me a few years ago still exist today. (Clueless reps, confusing billing, etc.) In hindsight I'm happy with my choice.

Now: I *DO* travel Internationally .... I've picked up a small GSM phone (Cost me like $20). I just pop a local SIM into that when I go. No big deal. My Treo becomes a PDA only device at that point.

(Oddly, I *DO* get a CDMA signal in Thailand from Hutch communications on the device. ... but I have no idea how to get them to give me an account for my Treo ... apparently Hutch uses a variation of CDMA that uses SIM cards ...)
    This might help:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1757450,00.asp

"Think of Cingular's version of the PalmOne Treo 650 as the Treo 655. For the GSM model of its PDA/phone, PalmOne added a world phone with better battery life than its CDMA sibling and a fast EDGE modem, making this version preferable to Sprint's if you're in a location with good Cingular GSM coverage. Only Cingular's expensive data plan makes us hesitate to recommend this model over the Sprint version......

This Treo's phone capabilities are superior, however. The quad-band GSM radio works all around the world. You can get your e-mail while overseas: Cingular has GPRS data roaming agreements in 75 countries, and it uses the faster EDGE data network in 18 of those countries. This model lasts longer than the Sprint Treo, too. We got 7 hours, 30 minutes of talk time—a good two hours longer than Sprint's phone. (That gap is typical of CDMA versus GSM phones.) Sound quality through the earpiece and a Logitech HS02 Bluetooth headset was fine, though the speakerphone acts a little odd: It's very quiet for the first 2 seconds of a call and then kicks up the volume.

The Cingular 650 packs in a Class 10 EDGE modem for fast data transfers. We got speeds between 148 and 167 Kbps on FTP file transfers between our Treo and PC Magazine servers using the VFSFTP+ Palm OS FTP program; that's at least double the average speed of Sprint's CDMA 1X network. That bodes well for downloading large attachments in e-mail.

Web browsing on Palm's Blazer browser felt slower than the tested 160 Kbps. This is because of the EDGE network's relatively long latency time, which affects the speed at which the Web servers appear to respond to requests from the Treo. It's still faster than Sprint's network, however. "

As for the data plan issue......the "skinny" I have heard is that Cingular is trying to discourage heavy use while they continue to add capacity to their network. Hence the BT DUN disable "for the time being" and the higher price plans if they "know" you have a PDA / phone. Thing is they don't try very hard to fin dout this info.

Don't buy from Cingular and you should be fine. Buy the phone w/o a data plan, wait for your account to show up on the web site and then go in and "add features" w/o talking to a rep, selecting the MediaPlan which is $20 or $25 as oppossed to the $40 PDA plan and you are set.
    I wish i had found this forum before i placed my 650 (sprint) order on amazon.com..the 650 came to $290 after rebates and other savings...i mostly went with sprint b/c of cingular's atrociously high unlimited data plan, but after i placed the order i realized the sprint version is cdma and not gsm (i want to be able to use it internationally)...so, here's my question...

Question 1: Go/stay with Cingular
    The previous poster said to just go with the medianet package instead. THe Cingular site doesnt offer much useful information on what this all entails, so I just wanted to know if there are any differences between that and the unlimited data plan. I plan to use email and the web on it a lot, and also want to tether my powerbook to it...will medianet let me do this? i read that it doesnt access http sites...what limits does medianet have on what i want to do?

Question 2: Go with Cingular, get subsidy unlock code, then use on TMobile, my current provider
    I read somewhere that if you have a friend with a Cingular account, I should ask the person to call up Cingular and say the 650 is theirs, then ask for an unlock code..Will this work? Will have to purchase some kind of data plan for it first, or can i just buy it and ask him to call Cingular? i'm so confused with all the information I've been reading...My preference is to stay with TMobile, but they dont have the 650, and ideally I'd like to get it to work on TMobile as cheaply as possible..i really cannot afford $600-700 for an unlocked version..

Question 3: Stay w/ Sprint
    Things would be perfect w/ the Sprint plan except that it's not GSM...i dont care about being able to use the phone overseas, i jsut want to be able to access internet & email...is there someway to do this, again as cheaply as possible?

Any help would be very appreciated. I dont know what Amazon.com's order cancellation policy is, but I would like to cancel it soon if I decide to switch to the Cingular version...Thanks!
  15.    #15  
    I'm really happy - I ended up doing it with Sprint. Walked into a Sprint store (the one in LA on La Cienega), showed them the Treo Central price for Sprint Treo's, they gave me that price ($319) right away, and threw in car chargers and cases. Good people at that store, they know their stuff. And I was in and out of there in about 40 minutes all told.

Since my purchase on January 14th, it's been great. I went on the road for business, and have been all over the place in California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Utah, BC, and Alberta. Got perfect reception in all those places, and the data has been fast. Also, been having great luck tethering the Treo 650 to my Apple laptop via bluetooth. The reception has been better than T-Mobile was on a similar 2 week trip about 6 months ago.

It's nice to feel that, at least for my needs, it's been a great move. And oh yeah, one last thing: I've called Sprint customer service 4 times since I got the phone (once to activate my Vision account, once to ask about a website password, once to add Canadian roaming, and once to change another billing option). They have been SO GOOD each time. Fast, pro, knowledgeable. Similar to how they are over at T-Mobile.

So there you go. Just thought I'd share my experience.

Best,
    Justin
    Man, i walked into a Sprint store today to look at the 650 and told the lady (as she walked me up to the counter after i told her i wanted to get it) that i could get it on amazon.com for $290, hoping that she'd try to match it...no such luck, she just looked at me and said, oh...their loss...
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess0fPowr
    but after i placed the order i realized the sprint version is cdma and not gsm (i want to be able to use it internationally)...so, here's my question...

.....Things would be perfect w/ the Sprint plan except that it's not GSM...i dont care about being able to use the phone overseas, i jsut want to be able to access internet & email...is there someway to do this, again as cheaply as possible?
    Is it me or are those two statements contradicting one another ?

Quote Originally Posted by Princess0fPowr
    The previous poster said to just go with the medianet package instead. The Cingular site doesnt offer much useful information on what this all entails, so I just wanted to know if there are any differences between that and the unlimited data plan. I plan to use email and the web on it a lot, and also want to tether my powerbook to it...will medianet let me do this? i read that it doesnt access http sites...what limits does medianet have on what i want to do?
    The only difference between the two plans is how much you pay for them. A search will uncover about 20 threads here on the forum covering this question.

As for "tethering" your notebook, if you mean using Bluetooth DUN to make the Treo your laptop's wireless modem, you gottta read this:

http://shadowmite.com/HowToDUN.html
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    No it's not you, that post was very confusing...