1.    #1  
    OK, I've been lurking for six months and am now ready to pull trigger on two T650's, one for me and one for my wife. Currently Brooklyn, NY, US Verizon users (Hey I still have my Motu StarTAC!). I'm trying to really find out which sucks less in NYC compared to Verizon which has the tri-state coverage down. Assuming I don't care about calling in Europe so CDMA doesn't really bother me, and basically comparable plans - Which one - Cingular or Sprint???
    My brother lives in Brooklyn Heights and works UWS. He has Sprint with no compaints. Travels to Philly often on train too. I'm in NYC about 3 times a year and never noticed a problem with Sprint in Manhattan/Brooklyn/Queens/Hoboken. I also force roaming off so it never roamed.

Sprint data is $15/month unlimited with speeds of about 90-100Kbits avg. Cingular EDGE apparently gets 90bits/sec avg but can peak higher for $20/month unlimited but it's unknown how long that plan will last for EDGE.

What will be interesting is if Verizon rolls out wireless to NYC subways, will Sprint roaming work on it? Sprint roaming is 5 bucks/month but you can't roam data and can't have more roam minutes than on-net minutes.
    Last edited by xenophonite; 02/07/2005 at 09:41 AM.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    I might be able to chime in a bit about Sprint.

I'm a Verizon user and I purchased the T650 when it first came out on Sprint a few months back. I thought that I might be able to make the switch. In an effort to compare Verizon and Sprint converage I ran some of my own tests. Mind you, I had unlimited data on both units and also had roaming on Verizon. These were my tests and their respective results.

1) Penn Station. Verizon worked like a champ in NJ Transit waiting areas and platforms. Similarly, it worked well in LIRR waiting areas, platforms and tunnels. Sprint was also fine in NJ Transit waiting area. Sprint, however, switched in and out of roaming in LIRR waiting area and was in compete roaming on both platforms and in LIRR tunnel. Vision could not be accessed when Sprint was roaming.

2) In Long Island (north shore). While on the L.I.E. from Midtown tunnel (Sprint roamed again) to exit 41, I had my wife hold both phones and asked her to perform periodic tasks on them as I was driving (I married a winner!) . The tasks mostly included making phone calls and check the signal bar. But here and there I also asked her to fire up the data connection and browse the web or check email. Results: Verizon was most consistent with data and voice; however, Sprint was not far behind at all. This was a shocker to me b/c I thought their coverage was n fold inferior to Verizon. Sprint did roam, but not often. The roaming appeared to be seamless. Verizon seemed to get better data throughput, although in the end one could argue it was negligible. Again, Sprint could open a data connection when roaming and once the T650 went into a soft reset while during a data connection when Sprint went into a roaming area.

In summary, these cursory tests summarized a couple of things for me: 1) Sprint has come a long way! 2) Verizon is still king.

I rarely had any problems with Verizon (T600) with respect to data or voice. I ended up returning the Sprint T650 not because of their coverage or pricing, but because of their attrocious customer service. I'll talk about that some other time.

Cheers and good luck!
    Last edited by illustreous; 02/04/2005 at 04:39 PM.
    Another note on an earlier comment: Cingular data will no longer be $20/mo. Expect to pay 2x that. There are many threads discussing this new development...

TM
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    My brother lives in Brooklyn Heights and works UWS. He has Sprint with no compaints. Travels to Philly often on train too. I'm in NYC about 3 times a year and never noticed a problem with Sprint in Manhattan/Brooklyn/Queens/Hoboken. I also force roaming off so it never roamed.

Sprint data is $15/month unlimited with speeds of about 90-100Kbits avg. Cingular EDGE apparently gets 130-140Kbits/sec avg for $20/month unlimited but it's unknown how long that plan will last for EDGE.

What will be interesting is if Verizon rolls out wireless to NYC subways, will Sprint roaming work on it? Sprint roaming is 5 bucks/month but you can't roam data and can't have more roam minutes than on-net minutes.
    Many reports have shown that Sprint is faster then Cingular edge. Edge averages around 85-110kps while Sprint averages 100-140kps.

I get about 120kps with Sprint on average.
    Quote Originally Posted by seamusmacd
    OK, I've been lurking for six months and am now ready to pull trigger on two T650's, one for me and one for my wife. Currently Brooklyn, NY, US Verizon users (Hey I still have my Motu StarTAC!). I'm trying to really find out which sucks less in NYC compared to Verizon which has the tri-state coverage down. Assuming I don't care about calling in Europe so CDMA doesn't really bother me, and basically comparable plans - Which one - Cingular or Sprint???
    Please post when you take the plunge. I live in Brooklyn and am wondering the very same thing. Am even thinking about waiting for Verizon to bring out the 650, except the way they have been handling Bluetooth with the Motorola M710 is giving me some doubts:

http://www.nuclearelephant.com/papers/v710.html
    This is slightly off-topic, but I'll add it anyway. From my research, neither Sprint nor the Cingular seems like they give very good service in the tri-state area. Sprint has the edge, but it still doesn't seem like a solid choice.

I'm still holding my breath for Verizon, but they're pretty tight-lipped about whether they'll even carry the 650. So far, I've been patient, but my patience with my 270 and T Mobile is growing very thin.