1.    #1  
    For those of us considering taking the plunge, it would be great to hear from you brave souls who've crossed over. How generally does the 650 work after the conversion? Does everything generally work as it should? Comparisons with Sprint 650 and/or Verizon 600 would be helpful as well.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    My 650 has been working great on the Verizon network. I have used all functions (phone, sms, web) successfully including bluetooth. I did not have the phone on Sprints network so I can't offer any comparisons. I bought the 650 at CompUSA new in the box and followed "Mines" instructions to switch the phone over. I would say the most difficult part was making the cable but "Mines" instructions are great and it turned out I was successful on the first try. Keep in mind that I have zero "soldering" experience.

It's been over a month now and it still works great.
    So, you actually paid full price for a T650 and hacked it to be able to go to the more expensive data plan with Verizon? The T650 is not EVDO capable, you know.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    So, you actually paid full price for a T650 and hacked it to be able to go to the more expensive data plan with Verizon? The T650 is not EVDO capable, you know.
    Yup, thats correct. Because an expensive Verizon plan with coverage everywhere I go is worth a whole lot more than an inexpensive Sprint plan that has no coverage.
    I too had mine hacked ("Verizonified") about 5 weeks ago and absolutely LOVE it!
    I have not regretted my decision on bit.
    ~'kito
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGeek
    Yup, thats correct. Because an expensive Verizon plan with coverage everywhere I go is worth a whole lot more than an inexpensive Sprint plan that has no coverage.
    Huh? If you have never tried Sprint, how do you know this? I was in a rural area with only 1 bar on Sprint and still was able to use data with no problems. In fact, I can't think of anyplace I couldn't use data with Sprint and I travel everywhere.

I suppose if you live or spend lots of time in a rural area, it might make sense.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    I went from 600 to my 650 for 3 weeks, and today I went back to the 600. I am a 24*7 data user and the data part is miserable. I'm selling my phone + parts to make a serial cable for first $450 offer.
    Since you had it for 3 weeks I assume it's CDMA, not GSM. I kept mine for a little over 3 weeks before I took it back for a full refund. Why are you selling it cheap?

If it's an unlocked GSM, by some sort of miracle, please PM me and let's talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Since you had it for 3 weeks I assume it's CDMA, not GSM. I kept mine for a little over 3 weeks before I took it back for a full refund. Why are you selling it cheap?

If it's an unlocked GSM, by some sort of miracle, please PM me and let's talk.
    Yes, sorry, CDMA. I'm selling it cheap because I just want it out of my life right now. There is nothing wrong with it. Its only been out of the house 8 times in a T600 metal case (Not included).
  10.    #10  
    I am curious why the 650 did not work for you. Why is it inferior for data usage?
    The problem I had is with keeping a connection. I use the Treo's just for data, not voice. I'm on the data network 24*7. The T650 data connection was unstable, would drop but not reset alot, and then get into a loop where every 10 minutes it would reset and I would have to soft-reset to stop it.
    Where do you buy the phone to Verizonize?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by tuctboh
    The problem I had is with keeping a connection. I use the Treo's just for data, not voice. I'm on the data network 24*7. The T650 data connection was unstable, would drop but not reset alot, and then get into a loop where every 10 minutes it would reset and I would have to soft-reset to stop it.
    Have others experienced this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by tuctboh
    I went from 600 to my 650 for 3 weeks, and today I went back to the 600. I am a 24*7 data user and the data part is miserable. I'm selling my phone + parts to make a serial cable for first $450 offer.
    Did you convert it to the Verizon network yet or not?

Erik
    Since this thread began I have not seen one speed test report for a Verizonized T650.
    Well?????
    MobileGuy asked "Have others experienced this problem?"
    I can't find anyone that is using the T650 as heavily for data as I am. I do hear/understand that this is a known issue for the unit, but I can't get a second confirmation.

tifosiv122 asks "Did you convert it to the Verizon network yet or not?"
    Yes, I did. I originally bought it and used it Bluetooth to my laptop (REVERSE DUN) testing all my apps to make sure things worked. Once they did, I called VZW and put it on. 3 weeks later after all the frustration, I switched back to the T600.
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGeek
    No coverage??? I can drive from Chicago to Atlanta...without one drop in signal. It only gets low going over the mountains. I can do the same from Chicago all the way to New York. but again...those are my experiences.

IGo
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I verizonized since last Wednesday and haven't any problems. I've been able to retrieve email messages via Versamail, get on the web on the Blazer, access voicemail, hotsync through Bluebooth. I don't have a data plan, just internet access monthly fee around $5 - that's been my plan for the last 3 years. I don't need 24 /7 use on the internet. I've also downloaded a new screen when the phone is turned of / on. Humm, I think that's is so far. In the past, I've used the original Visor, Prism, and T2. T650 is just great, though I'm still at the learning stage on this one........So far, I'm lovin' it!

I'm in the process of downloading my previous apps to this pda / phone : launcher, ptunes, worldmate, vindigo, avantgo, datebook5 (import address/contacts and datebook data). So far that's it. I checked the software compatibility list on this site and all should work fine.

Later on I need to figure out where to find ringtones for this phone (ANYONE, how do we use "get it now" on this phone? or a work around to get to it ??)

THANKS!
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Oh, forgot ... I have a 1gb SD card with mp3 files on it. It works fine on Realplayer and the sound is great. Also, I haven't any problems with the sound on this phone - everyone on the other end hasn't complained on the sound quality and I don't have any sound quality issues on my end. Again, so far so good.