1.    #1  
    I have a 7135 and I qualified for the new every 2 upgrade at the Verizon store, I wanted to get the Treo 600, which is fine, except the salesperson said I needed to get the 'unlimited date' plan for an extra $50/month because the 'browser' constantly connects to the internet. I thought this was BS, and walked out. Is this true what she said, if so my phone bill we be like $100/month...
    Maybe,

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=66351

There have been reports of reps not selling Treos without data plans recently. But if you can ever get it without, you should be able to get data by adding a picture messaging plan. Of course, if you do, you'll have to pay attention to your usage as detailed in the link above.
    You DON'T need a data plan. The reps are strongly suggesting it because people are leaving their phones connected and calling VZW to complain about the high charges.

Today, I temporarily switched to the $99/2000 minute plan and they removed unlimited data ($44.99) and put me on MOU. I changed my mind though because I think I'll need more than that for data.
  4.    #4  
    So, how much is your monthly bill with/without the unlimited data plan?
    Sprint!

Now that Cingular has increased their unlimited data to $40, and verizon is even worse, I can't imagine why anyone who plans to use lots of data doesn't switch to Sprint's $15 unlimited data plan..
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    For an extra $5, Sprint allows unlimited roaming on Verizon anyway. Just get Sprint with $14.99 unlimited data and still get Verizon coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by pakirby
    I have a 7135 and I qualified for the new every 2 upgrade at the Verizon store, I wanted to get the Treo 600, which is fine, except the salesperson said I needed to get the 'unlimited date' plan for an extra $50/month because the 'browser' constantly connects to the internet. I thought this was BS, and walked out. Is this true what she said, if so my phone bill we be like $100/month...
    Holy cow! When I had a 7135 I did not subscribe to any data plan on Verizon. I used my minutes to surf he web, but it was soooo slooooow with that 33Mhz processor that I never bothered with data plans anyway.

The treo 650 is a whole new animal with the 312 MHZ processor and VGA hi res screen. I can't stop surfing with the $15 unlimited vision pro pack on Sprint.
    BTW, Berl us right. Just refuse the data plan the salesman is offering you. If you only wanna use the web occasionally the MOU (minutes of use) should do it for you.
    So, how much is your monthly bill with/without the unlimited data plan?
    400 min Voice Plan $39.99
    Unlimited Data $44.99 - I use a LOT of data so that works for me
    (I get a 21% corporate discount on top of that.)

They were offering me 2000 minutes for $99 but I'd have to watch my data usage and that's too much trouble. There were better plans but I'd have to extend my contract and I don't want to do that because I might switch to Cingular later this year or even Sprint.

I like to keep my options open. I might extend with a new EVDO capable phone but not just yet.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    BTW, Berl us right. Just refuse the data plan the salesman is offering you. If you only wanna use the web occasionally the MOU (minutes of use) should do it for you.
    So, I either go to Sprint (and just get a 650) and get their unlimited data ($15) plus Verizon roaming ($5), or I can get the 600 on verizon without the data plan. If I stay with Verizon, how do I turn the browser off so that it isn't constantly pinging the network (and running up my Minutes of use - MOU)? Or, can I just buy the 600, don't get the unlimited data and I'd be okay?
    If I stay with Verizon, how do I turn the browser off so that it isn't constantly pinging the network (and running up my Minutes of use - MOU)? Or, can I just buy the 600, don't get the unlimited data and I'd be okay?
    Read the link in my earlier post.
    Don't buy that jive that your browser is constatly pinging VZW. When the browser is not launched nothing is hapening. It's true that after you exit from the browser in the T650 the link remains dormant (grey instead of green bars) but you can get rid of it by turning your phone off and on. I was never charged for data when I used my 7135 on verizon occasionally.

I'm quite happy with my current Sprint service with unlimited data for $15.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    For an extra $5, Sprint allows unlimited roaming on Verizon anyway. Just get Sprint with $14.99 unlimited data and still get Verizon coverage.
    Bear in mind:

1-It will search for and hang onto Spring signal first and foremost (even a very weak signal) before looking for better signals from other carriers.

2-No more than 50% of your calls may be from roaming.

3-Data does not work while roaming.

So $5 a month does not get you the same level of coverage that Verizon does. But it is a decent option, especially at the cost.