Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First off, I must apologize if I step on anyone's toes with this post, but I can't see how I would.

I found this information here at treocentral.com a year or two ago, but I couldn't find it in a search tonight so I am going to repost it here because it really is very valuable information.

HOW TO DIAL INTO YOUR VOICEMAIL FOR FREE (NOT USING YOUR AIRTIME MINUTES).

We all [should] know that Sprint is one of the few carriers that charges its customers airtime minutes to check their own voicemail. Well, there is a workaround.

This only works if you have PCS to PCS calling for free. The good thing is, Sprint gives this option away as a freebie if you simply call *2 and ask. So if you don't have free PCS to PCS, go do that first and come back here.

Now then. You're going to create a Speed Dial entry. Name it Free Vmail.

The number that you'll be entering is 11<anysprintphonenumber>

As in, 113303549999 (I'm not sure if that even exists...just using it as an example). If you know a friend/relative/wife/etc that is on Sprint, simply use their number. Don't use your own; won't work. The 11 takes you into their voicemail automatically, I guess.

Next, go into the Speed Dial's Dial Extra Digits area.

Insert this:

,***<yoursprintnumber>#<yourvoicemailpasscode>

Example: ,***3303549998#1231

The comma acts as a pause, then three asteriks, your number, a pound sign, your passcode.

Bingo. That's it. Dial Free Vmail whenever you're not in your Nights/Weekends minutes and you can check your voicemail for free. This can be verified on your next invoice because whatever number you end up using will have the little PCS to PCS logo next to it.

A couple of notes: 1) This I guess doesn't work when you're not in your home area???? If I travel outside of Ohio, I get a Sprint error message. As soon as I'm back home, it works fine. I have no idea why this is.

2) Sometimes the auto dialing screws up (likely due to dropped data packets). It'll say the number isn't accurate. You don't have to hang up, just manually dial your number and/or your passcode again. Or, hang up; your decision.

Like I said, this wasn't my discovery or anything, but I couldn't find it again so I thought I'd be the hookup. Props to whomever DID figure it out.

-Nick.
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    Sad! I don't think the 11 works anymore to take you directly into voice mail... I keep getting an error just trying to dial the first part....
    works great. Cool trick leet, thanks for reposting it.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by lesnla
    Sad! I don't think the 11 works anymore to take you directly into voice mail... I keep getting an error just trying to dial the first part....
    The "11" prefix should work for most people. There are a couple of things to keep in mind though. You do have to be calling from a sprint cellphone, also, some numbers that have been ported to sprint may not work with the "11" prefix (in other words, using "11" may not take you directly to their voicemail).
    If the 3 minutes it takes to check your voicemail is to much then maybe its time to upgrade your plan. Or better yet, just answer the phone.
    ya it only ever takes 3 minutes to check voicemail. And of course we can always answer the phone anytime anywhere. Don't be an *****. You have no idea who does what with their voicemail. Your generalizations are annoying.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    hmm, you know there's a triick with sprint that when you use this method to check your voicemail for free that you can use the callback feature of the voicemail to talk to someone without burning your minutes.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Good job, theleetbeagle. Btw, the feature works at home as well

Quote Originally Posted by d1sturbd
    If the 3 minutes it takes to check your voicemail is to much then maybe its time to upgrade your plan. Or better yet, just answer the phone.
    System calls are always free. Why should accessing your email be a chargeable feature? It's not the 3 minutes (btw, do you really take 3 minutes to check your VM?) , but rather the principle of it here.
    I've been with sprint for over 5 years and have not once been charged for checking my voicemail. I also only pay $10 for unlimited vision but that's another story
    Quote Originally Posted by d1sturbd
    I've been with sprint for over 5 years and have not once been charged for checking my voicemail. I also only pay $10 for unlimited vision but that's another story
    you might want to look at your bill. I have been w/Sprint for 8 years and didnt pay for vmail in the beginning because that and 1st incoming minute were free. I no longer have that plan.

The plan I am on now is a few years old (say about 4) and I have unlimited vision for free, (was a hold over from inlimited wirelessweb) but not voicemail calls. All of the plans offered in the last 3 or 4 years charge for voicemail.

For those of us that do this is a great work around. If it doesnt apply to you why do you care?
    — Ed Howdershelt
  11.    #11  
    In a month, checking my voicemail using this method saves me between 60-80 minutes per month. It adds up.

I can imagine old(er) plans didn't charge for vmail, but mine surely does.

An easy way to check is to *2, check ur minutes, call ur vmail for <60 seconds, wait 30 minutes, then *2 again. If u have one less minute then there u go!

And there have been days where I will sit in my vmail for 8 minutes listening to my backlog.

The "free phone calls" workaround I think only works when "dialing" another Sprint number. And if u have free PCS TO PCS, then it's redundant.

-Nick.
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    You don't get a separate charge for accessing your voicemail, but you use up your peak minutes to do so, if you do it frequently during the day. That routine basically eliminates the need to use peak minute usage. There is nothing wrong with that.

Btw, Sprint CS will not offer a $10 unlimited vision to any new customer no matter how many sprint customers they know who have it. I'm told that $10 unlimited plan simply does not exist.
  13.    #13  
    Funny. I have it.
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Set up just the way it's decribed. And it works perfect. I'm savin money now.

The only thing is, when my wife calls me (I used her phone number) it says "VoiceMail" (which is what I named the button).

I can live with that, after all I reconize her ringer (ringo....Scooby Do) and picture (TreoPicture....Smoken' hot)
  15.    #15  
    1) Attach photo of smokin hot wife.

2) Simply use another Sprint number.

3) It DOES appear that u can make phone calls for free by using the above-mentioned "phreak." Select "8" when in your voicemail box; works 50/50. Wonder what my statement will say!!.

-Nick.
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    I just called sprint to do the first step and they told me that it's $5. a month to add PCS to PCS.

Does this depend on the plan you have? Or did I not ask for the right thing?
    <moved>
    I called PCS to about 'free' PCS to PCS and they said it was only if you have 2+ phones on one account or if you have a plan over 2000 minutes. It's 5 bucks otherwise.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Or you could have it added free next time you renew your contract. That's what I did. BTW, this free voicemail checker works for me also. I'm marking the time and dates I use it so I can check my next bill.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  20.    #20  
    Be persistant. If the CSR won't budge, ask specifically for the Retention Dept.
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast