Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it just me that thinks that the fact you can get insurance for your Treo with Sprint for $5/mo is a HUGE selling point? Even if Sprint has slightly worse coverage in your area, doesn't this almost make up for it?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    There is a $50 deductible.

Quote Originally Posted by wadeemmert
    Is it just me that thinks that the fact you can get insurance for your Treo with Sprint for $5/mo is a HUGE selling point? Even if Sprint has slightly worse coverage in your area, doesn't this almost make up for it?
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    I think it's only $35, unless it went up in '05.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Sprint PCS Total Equipment Protection
    Back to Safety & Security

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For only $5.00 per month, you can have a replacement in your hand quickly, so you can stay in touch with those you care about.

Total Equipment Protection gives you the combined coverage offered by the Sprint PCS® Equipment Replacement Program and the Sprint PCS® Enhanced Warranty Program in one complete package.

Equipment Replacement Program:

Protects against lost equipment, theft, and accidental damage (including damage due to lightning, physical or liquid damage)
    $50 non-refundable deductible will apply for all approved replacements
    For full terms and conditions, you can review the Coverage Certificate
    Enhanced Warranty Program:

Protects against mechanical and electrical failure due to normal wear and tear, as well as defects
    A $10 Warranty Processing fee will apply for all approved replacements
    For full terms and conditions, you can review the Service Contract
    Sprint PCS Total Equipment Protection is your best equipment protection value. However, you may sign up for either program separately if you prefer. Click the Coverage Certificate and Service Contract links above for details.

Sprint PCS Equipment Replacement Program is insurance Underwritten by Continental Casualty Company, a CNA Company, and administered by lock\line®, LLC (in California lock\line Insurance Agency, LLC Lic. #OD63161). May not be available for purchase in all states. If not purchased at time of activation, coverage begins on the 21st day after your enrollment request has been completed. Terms and conditions apply.

Ways to BuyFind a Sprint Store
    Call us at 1-888-253-1315

Quote Originally Posted by jasparks
    I think it's only $35, unless it went up in '05.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    My bad....$35-$50 seems like a bit of an increase, but a small price to pay to keep your $600 phone protected.
  6.    #6  
    Well, $5/mo for a year is $60. Then, if you have to get a replacement, there's a $50 deductible. That's $110 for a replacement. Otherwise, you are paying $500. To say it another way, that a certain $60 for the potential of saving $390. Kinda like gambling isn't it.
    Well, $5/mo for a year is $60. Then, if you have to get a replacement, there's a $50 deductible. That's $110 for a replacement. Otherwise, you are paying $500. To say it another way, that a certain $60 for the potential of saving $390. Kinda like gambling isn't it.

Everything is a gamble. You may never have an automobile accident for the rest of your life and all those insurance payments will go to waste. I think the $5 is well worth it, especially if youdrop your treo on the pavement the third week you have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by backdoc
    Sprint PCS Total Equipment Protection

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For only $5.00 per month, you can have a replacement in your hand quickly, so you can stay in touch with those you care about.

Total Equipment Protection gives you the combined coverage offered by the Sprint PCS® Equipment Replacement Program and the Sprint PCS® Enhanced Warranty Program in one complete package.

Equipment Replacement Program:

Protects against mechanical and electrical failure due to normal wear and tear, as well as defects
    A $10 Warranty Processing fee will apply for all approved replacements
    You missed the point above. The new plan RAISED the deductible for insurance replacements (lost, stolen, broken phones) to $50, but LOWERED the deductible for the extended warranty coverage to $10.

You also have the option of getting both coverages for $5, the insurance alone for $3, or the extended warranty coverage alone for $2.

I suspect the increase in deductible for the insurance is a response to the number of people trying to scam the system to get new phones.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    You missed the point above. The new plan RAISED the deductible for insurance replacements (lost, stolen, broken phones) to $50, but LOWERED the deductible for the extended warranty coverage to $10.
    Actually, we both missed the point. The replacement deductible is $50. Then A "$10 Warranty Processing fee will apply for all approved replacements." So it's a total of $60 each time you have to use it.
    Does anyone know if the replacement phone is a new phone or refurbished phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb15
    Does anyone know if the replacement phone is a new phone or refurbished phone?
    From my Treo 600 experience (warranty only...never lost), You only get new if a refurbished one is not available. I've never had to pay any deductible. I had two replacements within the 1 year PalmOne warranty period, and 1 replacement just beyond the 1 year PalmOne warranty period.
    I had a treo 600 replaced by palm direclty also. I guess it would make sense to wait a year until it is no longer under palm one's warranty period and then get the sprint insurance.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb15
    I had a treo 600 replaced by palm direclty also. I guess it would make sense to wait a year until it is no longer under palm one's warranty period and then get the sprint insurance.
    Seems like you have to sign up for the insurance within 30 days or something of getting the phone. I don't think you can wait a year or so to buy insurance. Too bad. Buy insurance on an old phone and then, by conicidence, it happens to break.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    When I got my Treo 650 at a Sprint store in Frisco, TX last week, the rep. told me handset protection is no longer available. He said some subscribers were grandfathered and were paying $5 a month instead of the original $4 that I remember paying in the past...and that it is not available on new phones.

I normally run everything they say through a filter and check for validity, but I took this guy on his word because he was highly knowledgable regarding phone features and the plan changes I made at the time. He saved me a lot of money by "tweaking" the plan a bit.

Was this BS though?
    One point to note since I just got my Treo and investigated the insurance.

You only have 30 days to get the insurance.

If you DO NOT get the insurance at the same time your phone is activated, you can still get it, but there is a 20 day 'waiting period' from the time you activate the insurance until you actually are covered.

According to sprint / lockline there is no way around this. I requested the insurance when I got my phone, but the ***** sales guy didn't process it, and the ***** customer (me) didn't check the paperwork to make sure it was there before leaving the store.

So now I am completely paranoid and must keep my Treo in a plastic bubble for 20 days

b
    Another note on this, if you transfer your phone/plan somewhere (I just transfered mine from CT to NY) It will transfer with you but you have to pin them down on it otherwise they won't transfer it. Helpful if you've had the phone more than a month. Then, when you get a new phone, you just activate it and the protection moves to the new phone. My coverage moved seamlessly across A460=>T608+>Treo650 with no interruption or questions.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jejagua
    When I got my Treo 650 at a Sprint store in Frisco, TX last week, the rep. told me handset protection is no longer available. He said some subscribers were grandfathered and were paying $5 a month instead of the original $4 that I remember paying in the past...and that it is not available on new phones.

I normally run everything they say through a filter and check for validity, but I took this guy on his word because he was highly knowledgable regarding phone features and the plan changes I made at the time. He saved me a lot of money by "tweaking" the plan a bit.

Was this BS though?
    I would say so. I just purchased a Treo 650 with the insurance a couple of weeks ago from my local Sprint store.
    Yeah, mooch is right. I've had lockline insurance on every SPCS phone i've had for hte last 6 years. It's a great program when you need it. It sucks that people take advantage of it, but it has paid of for me a number of times. For me, $5 per month is worh the added security and feeling that i'm not risking killing my $600 investment.

As for detais. the new dedcutibles are becaouse of the numebr of fraud cases that have been used. People abused the system, so they upped the price. But the $50 deductible covers lost, stolen, or damaged due to physical abuse phones. The $10 deductible is the extended warranty replacement for anything past the 1 year warranty that is offered through Palmone/Sprint on new phones. You do not have to pay $60 by adding them togehter, it's one or the other.

Second note, insurance can only be claimed twice in a 12 month period. If you use it two times they will automatically drop your coverage until 12 months from the first claim, at which point you will be reinstated. I believe this only applied to lost/stolen/damage claims, not warranty claims.

Hope that clears thigns up.....oh, and to one of the posts on this page, you can get lockine insurance with almost any carrier, just some aren't directly though the cellular carrier, but the insuracnce is basically hte same.
    Sprint PCS Total Equipment Protection covers things the PalmOne warranty doesnt. Like drops and things like water damage, theft, etc... PalmOne's initial warranty does not cover that, it only covers defects in the actual unit.

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Actually, we both missed the point. The replacement deductible is $50. Then A "$10 Warranty Processing fee will apply for all approved replacements." So it's a total of $60 each time you have to use it.
    The way I read it, the $50 deductible applies to the "Equipment Replacement Program" - when you lose your unit or it is stolen or accidentally damaged.

The $10 deductible applies to the "Enhanced Warranty Program" which is when your unit fails due to mechanical/electrical failure or normal wear and tear.

I don't think the two are ever added together.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast