Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been asking just about every VZW rep I can about when the T650 will be available. Since a few months ago, most would say they thought it was coming during the beginning of this year, but were "not really sure."

Lately, however, just about everyone has been saying that their understanding is it will NOT be available on Verizon service. The responses have been pretty consistent here. They cite that the phone has not performed to VZW's standards and that they are going to pass on it and instead carry the new Audivox 6600.

This is pretty disappointing, and it is starting to sound like activating a Sprint-branded phone on Verizon is going to be the only way if you NEED to have the T650. What do you all think?
    The local (Portland Oregon) Verizon store told me the T650 had failed their internal tests, something about you could add phone entries until it overflowed and wrote over other memory. The rep said Verizon had therefore disqualified the phone and would not be carrying it.
    Verizon is probably looking for ways to strip features and then charge you to enable them, feature by feature.

They are already doing it...
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...s_lawsuit_dc_1
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Verizon is probably looking for ways to strip features and then charge you to enable them, feature by feature.

They are already doing it...
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...s_lawsuit_dc_1
    Isn't that what they normally do??
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkahunas123
    The local (Portland Oregon) Verizon store told me the T650 had failed their internal tests...
    But the 600 passed??
    and it all started with a SHARP Wizard
    The 600 had build quality problems, but the software was far more stable. You can do hardware swaps to deal with spotty build quality, but the OS problems of the 650 are more global and require P1 to issue a fix. Hopefully if they release a good patch soon Verizon and others would reconsider. In fact, Verizon's refusing to carry it due to the poor quality may be a good thing for the rest of us...it might help kick P1 into fixing the damn thing...
    My corporate rep says that Verizon will carry the Treo 650. When I asked him how long, he said within the next month. But he also said it could very well be pushed back.

I remember that he was wrong on the release date for the Treo 600. But I also remember that he was right when he stated (early on) that Verizon would release the Treo 600. So in my opinion, it's just a matter of time.
  8.    #8  
    hmmm, interesting. Pushed back until when - next year? Incidientally, I just got all of the materials last night (including phone) for converting a Sprint T650 to Verizon. I don't think I'm going to wait any longer for something that may never come out.
    I have been with VZW for many years but they are starting to frustrate me. Considering that for my purposes, the Sprint and Verizon plans present a nominal cost difference, along with the fact that 95% of my usage is on the bourough of Manhattan where (I think at least) coverage is virtually the same for each carrier, I am no very close to dumping Verizon and starting anew with a T650 from Sprint.
    If anyone here sees an advantage to waiting that I am missing, please advise. I have really learned a lot by following all these threads and conversations over the past two months and I thank everyone for being so gracious with their knowlegde.
  10.    #10  
    I'm with you there... coverage has not really been much of an issue with me, because I tend to be in areas where it's about the same for SPCS vs. VZW. However, for those instances where I would happen to need the added coverage, such as rural areas, VZW obviously has SPCS beat. But both the plans and phone selection from both **** me off, moreso VZW at this point. That is why I am "Verizifying" a Treo 650 to satisfy my needs right now. Hopefully they get off their high horse and start releasing more phones.

This "testing" doesn't do any good when by the time the phone passes, no one wants it because there is something better out there. Months and months just can't cut it.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I live in S.F. and am a long time Verizon customer and have been waiting for the T650 to release. I'm ready to upgrade my phone & spoke with a Verizon sales person who said that the 650 would be available in the 2nd Q. I said probably in June or July but he mentioned it would be earlier - March or April. He didn't have much more to say. I was also at another Verizon store and was told they were testing the 650; also spoke to a PalmOne rep who mentioned that Cingular Treo GSM would be available sometime next month; the Verizon T650 would be later in the year. He mentioned that Cingular is next in introducing the T650 then Verizon. That's what I was told.

That's the news for today.
    Verizin, Sprint, Cingular, Tmobile, what's the difference. Jump ship and go with the best phone deal and plan deal. I did when I moved to Sprint less than 3weeks ago
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Verizin, Sprint, Cingular, Tmobile, what's the difference. Jump ship and go with the best phone deal and plan deal. I did when I moved to Sprint less than 3weeks ago
    Did the same thing. My apologies TonyH, in me zeal to jump ship to Sprint, i must've bumped you overboard as well.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Oh, so that was you? Sorry, I didn't mean to call security
    Checked with my Verizon corporate rep today... he's saying March, but no guarantees!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyg54
    Checked with my Verizon corporate rep today... he's saying March, but no guarantees!!
    March? If they push it back too much more, my contract with VZW will end (November) and I guess the treo 700 (or whatever's next in line) will be due out and of course Sprint will be the first to carry it again.

Oh well.
    So, in a nutshell, the 650 will be available next month, this quarter, maybe in a few months, later this year, or "huh? 650???"

Ahhh VZW, how I miss thee...

Goin' to the Sprint store tomorrow to buy a new 650 and have my VZW number ported over.

I agree with Rico- the longer we wait, the closer we'll be to the release date of the next generation toy and the more frustrated we'll get. We can wait forever for the next best thing to come out or we can start enjoying what is available for us today.
    I have a Verizon plan that ends in March. I also have a Verizon gift certificate that was given to me by someone knowing I wanted a Treo (thanks family). I can upgrade the phone now on Verizon, but I want the T650. I could take the T600, and be happy now, but I know I really want the T650 features (screen, bluetooth, better camera, and now WiFi). I don't want to wait though. I have decided that I am going to wait until the contract expires, then if the T650 is available on Verizon, I will get it. If it is not, I am going to consider getting a Sprint T650 and converting to Verizon, or just give up and switch to Sprint. It seems to me the cost of Sprint (with unlimited data service) is lower and the coverage where I typically travel is about the same.

If I get the T600, I will be happy for a few months, and then spend a year and a half wishing I had the T650.

If I convert the Sprint T650 to Verizon, I have to deal with cashing in the gift certificate to buy phone, and I have to hope the phone doesn't get damaged or fail, because I am on my own (with TreoCentral's help) from the prespective of warranty or customer service.

If I convert to Sprint and get my T650, my expense is less per month and the photo messaging really works. But I have been with Verizon since the dark ages (1986 or so), and most of family/friends are on Verizon for free "IN" calling, and I have to deal with cashing in the gift certificate again as well.

Or I can wait until Verizon has the T650 (hopefully March, when my current plan ends) and be happy with Verizon, the phone, warranty type coverage, etc. But have service that costs a little more, and poorer camera messaging.

Is my logic at least correct here? I currently have a non-pda phone that is on its last leg, carry around an old Palm PDA, and a small digital camera everywhere.
    "Or I can wait until Verizon has the T650 (hopefully March, when my current plan ends) and be happy with Verizon, the phone, warranty type coverage, etc. But have service that costs a little more, and poorer camera messaging."

That's what I would do, being a longtime Verizon customer also. I'm also caught up in their "IN" network with family and friends. And, you'll get to cash in on that gift certificate. But, to be honest, the quality of their service really works for my family and me.

If it doesn't work out in March and you still want the 650 I would cut over completely to Sprint. I'm not as much of a risk taker with such an expensive appliance as some of our friends in this great forum are to convert the unit for Verizon usage. Say goodbye to family and friends.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast