Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I think those are my #1 and #2 options.. but I have to put up with the lousey phone I have until then..... :-( anyone wanna lend me an old Verizon T600 until then? :-)
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Unfortunately, we Treo users often fail to see the big picture, since our eyes are fixed on that little screen. The problem is that EVDO rendered the Treo 650 obsolete before it ever got off the ground. Verizon sees a short window where it is the only provider of broadband wireless and all indications are that they intend to take advantage of it. Also, they don't want a bunch of users to buy new treos at $600 and then find out they could have had broadband smartphones for the same price. Could you imagine what a customer relations nightmare that would be? A bunch of unhappy treophiles who want their 650 pales in comparison.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Now, if Palmone upgraded the 650 to do EVDO, that would be another matter!!!
    and whether the upgrade is a simple ROM patch or a whole new factory rework
    My understanding from my Verizon National Account Rep was that the 650 will support EVDO. Unless he's smoking something, which wouldn't surprise me. But, think about it, if it is taking so long maybe it's because they are "retrofitting" the firmaware for EVDO.
    I too heard from a reputable source at vzw that the verizon treo 650E and 680 (rumored models for verizon) will fully support EVDO.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Now that is interesting. All the rest of this is noise. If Palmone can respond quickly to EVDO, that will bode well for them. They need to get the word out though. I am ready to jump to the XV6600 for one major reason - broadband (and it doesn't hurt that it is the same price as 1xrtt).

Also, if VZW is going to wait until an EVDO Treo is ready, it confirms to me that its management is a pretty smart bunch.
    If Verizon releases an EVDO capable Treo (and allows the $15 unlimited VCAST plan on it), I'll definitely upgrade and sign up for the data plan.

What's the word on the 680? I assume the 650E just adds an EVDO chipset, but what about the 680?
    Quote Originally Posted by jstpa
    Also, if VZW is going to wait until an EVDO Treo is ready, it confirms to me that its management is a pretty smart bunch.
    They are definitley a smart bunch; That v60p (w/ptt) they put out long ago was a good upgrade for one of motorolas most popular phones w VZW. Verizon definitley sees the enormous popularity of the Treo and the Blackberry phones.
    Shadowmite even found code for PTT on the treo 650 and we all know PTT is a verizon technology. If this was for Sprint the code would have specified ready link. So it looks like Verizon and Palm One were already looking ahead and if indeed the news is true about the VZW Treo 650e or Treo 680; there's no doubt in my mind verizon and palm are going to work together to make this phone compatible with Verizon's EVDO; they will both benefit tremendously from a marketing standpoint. Palms Treo line will definitley grow even more in popularity and Verizon will have one of the most popular phones on the market available to take advantage of EVDO (which has been reported to be only 15.00 or 20.00 for unlimited access) let's not forget about the PTT as well.
    Last edited by davetheone; 01/24/2005 at 10:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX

What's the word on the 680? I assume the 650E just adds an EVDO chipset, but what about the 680?
    Wish I knew? From what I gather it's just a verizon specific version of the latest treo; like with the blackberry that differs from t-mobile/ verizon and nextel.
    Thanks. I certainly understand a Verizon specific model of the 650, but the two rumored models throw me off.

I'd assume it (680) would be more of a difference than just adding EVDO, but can't imagine Palm One fixing the memory issue, adding WiFi, etc. this shortly after the 650.
    Perhaps the 680 would include the verizon specific PTT. This of course is what the buzz is at VZW and they are all talking about it. Many managers are interested in the phone and the business division has been bothering verizon about the 650 and tremendous interest in the blackberry technology coming for the Treo 650. Employees are bothering the corporations to add the Treo 650 as supported phones for the IT departments. CBRE (CB Richard Ellis and Insignia were brought together to form the world's premier, full-service real estate services company, CB Richard Ellis, its partner and affiliate offices together have nearly 17,000 employees in more than 300 offices across 50 countries worldwide) has added the treo 600 as a supported device, the blackberry is of course the one that is recommended; nonetheless many employees jumped the gun and bought the t650 even though it is not fully supported by IT and there are problems with versamail and busness connect.
    Verizon is defintley listening to it's business customers. I hope that sprint listens as well. If there will be a 650 or 680 with EVDO and ptt; it's only right for sprint to get those too.
    If it is PTT, then I assume we'd see Verizon offering new Treos within a month, as PTT is rumored to be relaunched February 23rd.

Although I am somewhat surprised to see PTT come back, as free IN network calling has all but made useless PTT (with the exception of group calls), especially when you consider that IN is free at PTT was $20 more a month (will presumably be less this time around).
    Well the free in network calls were definitley implemented for more reasons than one, PTT not being ready was one of them. There was also the issue of litigation with Nextel that was recently settled before verizon decided to really push PTT. There is only one PTT phone. So In Network satisfies all the customers with non PTT phones reaping the benefits of In network calls.
    Hmmm; PTT, EVDO, verizon is definitley on track to position itself as the leader in cutting edge wireless communication technology, if they roll out PTT (unlimited) and the 15.00 or 20.00 EVDO unlimited, this creates healthy competition for Cingular and Sprint/Nextel
    Arrggghhhh.... PTT.... that is one annoying feature that those of us that commute on a train can live without. If you want to play Combat or GI Joe than get walkie talkies....
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    My understanding about VCAST is that it is not full data, it is only selected stuff - a consumer selection, music downloads, etc. If you want a full data plan, you still have to stick to the $45 unlimited.
    The only thing I'm saying is that there are going to be quite a few unhappy people if Verizon tells them that they have to pay $45/month to check email and use essentially mobile web on their Treos and at the same time offering unlimited videos and audio for $15.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    The only thing I'm saying is that there are going to be quite a few unhappy people if Verizon tells them that they have to pay $45/month to check email and use essentially mobile web on their Treos and at the same time offering unlimited videos and audio for $15.
    We'll see. I doubt it. I don't think most people who use data for real will consider VCast to be anything other than useless. They won't compare it to their data package at all.
    I don't see why not. The bandwidth that the Treo requires for text (web/email) is surely less than a 30 minute video show.

It seems to me that the usage for the average Treo user would be considerably less than one with a video phone.

I'd guess that it has more to do with the target markets-Treos to business users who can/are willing to pay more, and EVDO handsets to a younger generation who have to foot thier own bill/aren't as willing to pay as much.
    Verizon needs to get off its high horse and offer the non corporate user a decent PDA data pack for less than $20
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast