Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    For $15.00 monthly access in addition to their regular Verizon Wireless calling plan, VCAST customers get unlimited access to a wide array of more than 300 daily updated videos from leading content providers. Verizon Wireless VCAST customers also receive unlimited browsing of Verizon Wirelessí Mobile Web 2.0 news and information service. In addition, customers can choose from premium content, available for an additional cost, that includes 3-D games, music videos and other premium channels.
    http://news.vzw.com/news/2005/01/pr2005-01-07.html

    So with video/games/music on demand that is going to require long connections and the transfer of huge amounts of data...all for $15 a month, is Verizon going to do something about the "other" data plans and bring those more in line so people don't have to pay $45 a month for less usage?

    Or will those with Treos and other data devices be able to add this plan and use it for wireless data (web, email, etc)?

    This plan also gives unlimited Mobile Web 2.0 browsing, so they can certainly allow this on Treos. So for $15, you get much much more than those with Treos and data plans. Theoretically, Verizon should be able to offer $15 Mobile Web regardless of your handset...especially since this would be on the "old" 1xRTT rather than this newer high speed EV-DO which should draw a premium.

    But will they?

    What does this plan mean for those of us who have been wanting competitive data plans for some time?
  2. #2  
    Thanks for the heads up.
    ~'kito
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    For $15.00 monthly access in addition to their regular Verizon Wireless calling plan, VCAST customers get unlimited access to a wide array of more than 300 daily updated videos from leading content providers. Verizon Wireless VCAST customers also receive unlimited browsing of Verizon Wirelessí Mobile Web 2.0 news and information service. In addition, customers can choose from premium content, available for an additional cost, that includes 3-D games, music videos and other premium channels.
    It's not clear to me from the above quote that routine internet browsing and access (for email) is included...
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    It's not clear to me from the above quote that routine internet browsing and access (for email) is included...
    I have been trying to figure out exactly what is covered in VCAST since I heard about it yesterday. It sounds pretty good so far, but I am not certain about whether or not picture sending and receiving and email is indeed included. This is why I have never joined Verizon, because they charge so much for using data services and/or use your anytime minutes while you browse. I hope this is as good as it sounds. I always liked the specs on the vx-8000 phone, which is compatible with VCAST.
  5. #5  
    wont work, its meant for video and music. they wont let you add it for a 650.
  6.    #6  
    I don't see how Verizon will be able to tell (potential) customers that you have to pay $45 for email and web, but for $15, you can get streaming video, audio, etc in addition to web.

    That's like an ISP charging $45 for dialup and $15 for broadband.
  7. #7  
    If you read carefully, that announcement does NOT say you get unlimited web access. What is says is:

    "Verizon Wireless VCAST customers also receive unlimited browsing of Verizon Wirelessí Mobile Web 2.0 news and information service"

    I believe the news and information service is a limited set of Verizon provided content, which is a far cry from unlimited web access.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  8.    #8  
    Well, as all I use on my Treo is wap sites (others take too long to load and really don't look good), all I want is the equivalent of Mobile Web, as well as a connection so that other apps (email, 4cast, etc) can access data.
  9. #9  
    This is ridiculous. Verizon needs to behave like an open ISP like other carriers. Sprint is 10-15 bucks for unlimited and you can access any content out there and use any port... just like an open ISP.

    Verizon is the AOL of wireless data.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    Well, as all I use on my Treo is wap sites (others take too long to load and really don't look good), all I want is the equivalent of Mobile Web, as well as a connection so that other apps (email, 4cast, etc) can access data.
    And WAP is all you should use on any PDA. Browsing full size web sites on a PDA is a nightmare. The T650 has an Optimal setting so you don't have to scroll sideways, but the speed on full web is horrible using a handheld device.

    I wonder whatever happened to that wearable monitor that makes your handheld look like it has a 19 in screen. They probably went bankrupt trying to sell it for $1295
  11. spotter's Avatar
    Posts
    316 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    #11  
    eh, full pages are rendered very well w/ the Treo 650, they just are generally chock full of images they take forever to load. Pages that are more textually oriented, work fairly well (say ESPN (graphics) vs. WashPost/NYTimes (textual)

Posting Permissions