Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got the 600 when it first came out, and liek most of you had alot of problems after upgrading to the firmware patch. I went through two 600 refurbs, both of wich had major issues, and finally went and and requested(well kinda demanded) a new 600 since all the refurbs were crap. Apparently sprint has a policy that if you go through three phone you are entitled to an upgrade so i turned in my 600 and got a 650 at no charge. I dont knwo for sure if this is somethign they have to do or its at the discretion of the manager at the sprint store but for all those out there that had major problems with the 600's it may not be a bad idea. hope i helped.
    I'm on my third T600 refurb (and one T300 refurb before that). That makes 4 refurbs,
    so I doubt they are "required" to do this. I think it is likely they might replace with a new unit after this many refurbs simply because the refurbs are not lasting (at least in my case) for more than 3 months.

T300 lockline refurb (button-board gave way slightly less than 3 months.
    T600 refurb (only played thru headphone withing 2 weeks, I lived with this
    until the screen started showing orange spots days short of 3 months.
    Next T600 refurb had problems since day 1. Completely useless after a
    week.
    I'm on the 4th refurb replacement which so far (1-2 weeks) has been
    workable.

That said, I think what you heard might be considered a "rule of thumb". Incidentally, I heard the same thing too, but I think it was more a matter of them giving you a "new" vs "refurb" unit, and as it is, most Sprint stores probably don't have any new T600's left so that might mean giving a new T650 in hopes of satisfying/retaining a customer.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I am with you. My T600, a few days before it's birthday, would not make a call. Sprint said they couldn't get a T600, so they upgraded me to T650 for free.

Sucks that I have so many incompatible accessories, but a free upgrade is great.
    I run a Sprint buisness account with around 40 lines, 90% of which are Treo 600s. Sprint's warranty service is outstanding; just call 888-788-4727(*2) and report the problem(lock-ups, battery issues, keyboard problems, etc), and they'll send a replacement phone and return kit out with no questions asked. Sprint has replaced 3 of my 600s with 650s under warranty. They had all been replaced at least 3 times. When I ask for the upgrade I just explain the ongoing problems we've had with the 600. It is a great customer service effort on their part. It also seems to be hit or miss on who you talk to but I'm here to confirm the rumors.

Your mileage may vary...
    I was having speaker problems with my 11-month-old T300 when the T600 came out, and with one phone call Sprint gave me full price credit on the 300 against the 600. So I had to pay the $200 difference, and got a new 600. I've now had it for 14.5 months with nary a problem (knock wood). I plan to replace it when the EVDO version comes out (and Sprint offers EVDO service).
    I just took my 600 in to the sprint pos store round the corner from me for the third time for the same problem. First two times it looked like my treo was a tv that couldnt get reception, snow and lines so I reset it. It froze on the palm one screen until I did a hard reset. Took it back once and they said "Oh, just hard reset it." So I did, hoping it woudl help. Four days later, same thing happens. So I hard reset and take it to the store and the guy takes it back to the tech, comes back and says "Tech guy says that there is a new firmware but we dont have it yet, check on our website" I knew he was lying but i thought my probs might be over. This morning at 7:30, it froze again but this time had blue,yellow and purple vertical lines down it. Took it to the store, dropped it off to be tested and went back to pick it up. The lady said "I dont know what he did but he said he fixed it" Turned it on and it had been hard reset AGAIN! I just about lost it but I kept my cool and told them that this was completely unacceptable. I have been in 3 times in one week for the same problem. Girl goes to the back, comes back and says, we can order you a new phone. So they order me a recon600. I dont expect a 650 but I do expect not to be treated like I am a problem and for them to try and get out of replacing my phone. Of course, if I have any probs with this one, I'm gonna just call *2, tell em whats up and avoid the jerks at my local sprint store at all costs. Ah, I feel better
    This is what I would do. Simply go to another location and try them. We have two Sprint stores within 2 miles of each other. The way I am treated at one is typically the exact opposite at the other, but I can't say one location is good while one is bad because I've had mixed results at each.

The other solution is to call *2 and ask for the Retention Dept. They'll say, "Retention is only for customers that are thinking of dropping Sprint." You say, "Exactly."

Explain to Retention your problem. They'll be very willing to help you. Hint that you're after the 650.

Lemme know how it turns out.

-Nick.
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    I'm in the same boat here. I'm on my third Treo 600 and it's failing too. It drops a lot of calls, too many resets and other random stuff going wrong. There's no "policy" that they upgrade you after x amount of failed replacements. They have a list of acceptable refurbs for each unit. I believe the Treo 600 only has the 600 and i500 on that list. I'm pretty sure the 650 and i600 are considered one class up. So they don't have to upgrade you but if you get a sympathetic manager who wants to help, they can do it.

EDIT: I just got back from the Sprint store and for extending my contract for a year (I was out of contract) they're giving me a Treo 650 for free instead of another 600. And as it turns out, I'm on my fourth 600, so I guess I lost count.
    Last edited by letsgoflyers81; 01/17/2005 at 05:13 PM.
    Unbelievable. I'm on my third 600 and now that I actually want it to fail, it's acting fine.

*Nick bides his time.*

NJK
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    I know how you feel. When the 650 came out and people were being upgraded for free I was hoping mine would fail again. I wasn't about to break it on purpose but I wanted it to go on its own. Of course when I got to the store and talked to the tech, it didn't do anything wrong. HP test was fine, didn't reset or drop calls, nothing. But then I finally got it to do one thing wrong. This is really weird but if I'm on the phone and I get in my car and close the door, it hangs the phone up. It's not a dropped call, it actually says "Hanging up" and then it ends the call. I've tried it in three of four different cars and get the same thing. But if I roll the window down and hang the phone out of the window as I close the door, it won't hang up. I have no explination for it. I mentioned it to the tech and he was like, "OK I gotta see this" and we went into the parking lot to my car and it did it for him. It looked like I made his day showing him that. It made my day too because without that I wouldn't be getting my 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeptreo
    Sprint has replaced 3 of my 600s with 650s under warranty. They had all been replaced at least 3 times. When I ask for the upgrade I just explain the ongoing problems we've had with the 600. It is a great customer service effort on their part. It also seems to be hit or miss on who you talk to but I'm here to confirm the rumors.

Your mileage may vary...
    My experience was absolutely different than yours... I've had the 300 and 600 the 300 was replaced by a new 300 after the screen developed dead pixels by me making a call to Sprint. When the second 300 began to have battery issues right around the time the 600 came out I requested a replacement an was given credit for the full price of the 300 towards the purchase of the 600, a $200 difference.
    And when my 600 began to drop calls, I called Sprint and was given the run around for about 4 weeks... They had me bouncing between the store and the 800 costumer service line until I began to take names and escalating the issue to the managers. They finally sent me a new 600 which is now on ebay!

I can't wait for the Cingular 650! I'm done with Sprint.

BTW this was also a business account and all the phones were under warranty.
    I also suggest not to accept a refurbished phone in exchange if your phone is under warranty. You purchased a NEW phone.
  12. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I was just at my sprint store yesterday. i ordered my second replacement. (intermittant short near the antenna that would cause the phone to hang up or answer calls that were coming in)
    I talked to the manager and asked about the possibility of replacement with a 650. He talked about all the money Sprint had lost making such exceptions and how the company was cracking down now. He didn't want to raise any "red flags". I asked what would happen if this replacement turned out bogus, too. He said he would try to give me a nice discount on the 650. Maybe the new one will be fine, but I guess if it does go bad, i should try a different store?
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    I have had both my wifes T600 and mine swapped out for brand new T650's in the past week. After much converstation with Customer Solutions finally I got them swapped out for FREE. This is exactly what I did.

I called 1-888-788-4727 Option 1 for English and then 2. When asked say "Customer Solutions". When rep came online I advised her if she was familiar with Treo 600's. She then transfered me to another Cust. Solutions Rep. who was. I mentioned to CSR that I was very unhappy with all the refurbised T600's I was getting as I was on my 4th unit since purchasing less than a year ago. I then mentioned that I was not willing to walk into another Sprint store as all they have me do it call the 800 # or replace phone with another refurb. CSR wasnt willing to work with me much as he kept refering to have it looked at by tech and the only way would be to walk into store. I then informed CSR that I walked into a sprint store over the holidays and it was so busy no one was willing to help me and advised to call 800. I asked CSR to send me a replacement unit other than a T600 as T600's have to many issues and need something more stable like a T650 which corrected many of the T600's issues. Either that or give me a refund. She then looked into and advised that since both are same price that she would need time to fill out an RMA request.

The next day I had a brand new Treo 650 with all accessories. I shipped back my old T600 and did the same a few days later for my wifes phone. We are now owners of new T650's and love them. So much more stable and no more headaches at least for the time being.

One thing to remember if that current CSR will not help you out advise that you would like to be transfered until you find one that will. Dont give up as believe it or not someone will help you out and satisfy your request. Good luck!!!!
    My touchscreen keeps losing its calibration. I have to redo the "Tap Upper Left Corner," "Tap Lower Right Corner," "Tap Center" about once per day.

Maybe this qualifies me to get a new 650!!!

NJK
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    "I have had both my wifes T600 and mine swapped out for brand new T650's in the past week."
    isn't it illegal in america admit to having 2 wifes?
    hehe
    What went wrong w/ them (the phones not the wives)?
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
  17. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    damigs, I got my replacement refurbed 600 from the Sprint store on friday. they chased me out, telling me that I couldn't use the phone for at least 2 hours while the network updated. When I could use it, the microphone was dead! I was offended. Anyway, I followed your example to the tee. After talking to a supervisor who said they didn't do things like that, I mentioned your experience. She returned a few minutes later and said my new 650 should come in 3 to 5 business days. Now I need to research the changes I need to make to my software library! I am glad this board exists to let us know these things are possible!

Thanks
    Just got done with my call and confirmed that a brand new 650 is being shipped out to me. This is great I never thought that this would work. Is there a way to synce all the info from my 600 to the 650?
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Glad to hear others are having much success in getting a problematic reburbished T600 replaced with a new T650. I totally love my new unit and have added all the bells and whistles I once had on my T600. Good to know my info helps others.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theleetbeagle
    What went wrong w/ them (the phones not the wives)?
    I had several issues from Freezing, battery losing power quickly, dropping and missing calls, bad ear bud and low volume. All this with all 4 units I have had replaced. I said enough is enough - Either refund me my $$ since its been less than 1 year or replace with a T650.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast