Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Has anyone come across this phone? Any views as to whether it will be a treo killer? Anyone know if it is available to Joe Public?

http://news.vzw.com/news/2004/12/pr2004-12-16.html

If I can use it for DUN, it will save me a lot of money on broadbandaccess. The article is not clear on whether you can.

Also, the treo's inability to multitask drives me crazy when I'm logged onto a website and need to change programs (to answer the phone or get some other piece of information) and want to get back on. Does pocket pc solve this problem?
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Baldy the Eagle wrote in a different thread:

"non business people can get it as of 3 days ago, just dial 611 and ask for it. $509 but you can get up to $250 off through a mix of promos"

In any event, my last two questions stand. All help appreciated.
    jstpa, I'm curious about this statement:

the treo's inability to multitask drives me crazy when I'm logged onto a website and need to change programs (to answer the phone or get some other piece of information) and want to get back on.

I multitask all the time on the Treo - I'm on a website, and go over to the datebook, or answer a call, or do whatever. I then just go back to the web page. What is it in your scenario that I'm missing? I can also listen to MP3s and surf the web - do it all the time. Define multi-task as you want to see it, and then let's see if the Treo can do it.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    This may be picky, but it has to do with my brokerage site. I have to load the full web page and that takes some time (the etrade program for the palm is flaky with the treo, at least with mine). So - when I go to take a call and then come back, the whole page has to reload.

Also, I would like to be able to keep that page loaded while I check other web pages.

And finally, the ability to keep a program in the same place is important.
    Yes, but the page should reload from memory. Do you have a Treo 600 or 650 jstpa?

With the 650s faster processor, I would assume the web page reload time on a 650 would be quicker, but I don't have mine yet (Vienna Channels).

Anyway, if you're already on Verizon, I'd go for the XV6600. At $509 it's a steal, if that is in fact it's whole price. If you're eligible for an upgrade or their New Every Two, you should be able to save at least $100.

Also, I'm pretty sure their is a stipulation in Verizon's Broadband Access that says you can't tether an EVDO phone to another device for data access.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I have a 600, Mr. Fuhrman.

The page does reload, but it does not appear to reload from memory. Instead it appears to download anew from the site.

I was over at pdaphonehome.com last night and it did appear that people were able to do dial up networking from the XV6600 to their laptops - by USB and by bluetooth.

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=39658

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=38609

Also, there is a thread going that has the verizon sales rep who has been getting everyone their phone. The people in the thread talk pretty freely about using the phone with their laptops and the verizon rep hasn't said a word about not being able to do that. It's not conclusive proof that verizon will allow DUN, but it's evidence that they might.

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=38558

Cheers.
    The xv6600 is not available to consumers yet. The form factor is a little klunky. You might have a better expereince regarding your specific applications with Windows Mobile 2003. I have a Samsung SCHI600 Smartphone for sale $300.00 or trade for Verizoned Treo 650.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    It's available. Contact Ms. Harrier. You'll see her e-mail and telephone number in the last thread that I cited above.