Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDingus
    I had Sprint since before they had coverage in LA. The coverage was fine, the phones seemed like they would crap out 3months after I bought them, Sprint would stop supporting them 5 months after I bought them (brand new models), and their customer service literally almost drove me to commit murder.

As a test, I called Sprint customer service 4 seperate times in one day, asked the same question each time, and got 4 different answers (yes, not, uh not yet, don't know). I don't remember the question, but it just proved that no one their knows what they are doing.

I switched to Verizon the day after the number portability went into effect. Sprint had over a year to prepare for this, but it still took them 3 weeks to get the number switched over. I had to get on the phone with a Verizon engineer and 2 different Sprint engineers, and laugh as the Verizon engineer walked them through switching the number over. After that, it still took a week for Sprint's compters to release the number.

Sprint may have better phones (no doubt) and very good coverage, but the thought of dealing with their customer support, even for simple issues, will keep me from ever being a Sprint customer again. I'd rather pay the extra $$ for Verizon and deal with people who have a clue.

Richard
    Day One of number portabilty is probably not an accurate reflection of portability today. Funny thing is that Verizon was opposed to portability until the end.

Your other points are probably valid, but in all honesty, if we start a "VZW CS Horror Story" thread, i doubt it will be empty. I have a negative view of CS in general, especially with all the overseas outsourcing that goes on anymore, so I don't expect much if I happen to need them.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Day One of number portabilty is probably not an accurate reflection of portability today. Funny thing is that Verizon was opposed to portability until the end.
    To be fair, the entire industry opposed number portability. Verizon was the first major carrier to stop fighting once the writing was on the wall (both that it was inevitable and that they would be the big winner).

Your other points are probably valid, but in all honesty, if we start a "VZW CS Horror Story" thread, i doubt it will be empty. I have a negative view of CS in general, especially with all the overseas outsourcing that goes on anymore, so I don't expect much if I happen to need them.
    Absolutely. Just because Verizon may be among the highest rated for customer service does not make their customer service good. I've had pretty good results with CS, but the one bad one was such a headache that it's pretty much tainted my view of Verizon's CS. But it's still better than when I was with Cingular.

But this industry is so fluid. Customer service and network vary by geographic area as well as time frame. So what's good here today, may be poor two years from now.

I'm just glad that we've finally got number portability so that we don't have to worry about changing our number when our carrier no longer meets our needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    To be fair, the entire industry opposed number portability. Verizon was the first major carrier to stop fighting once the writing was on the wall (both that it was inevitable and that they would be the big winner).
    That may be true. I was a VZW user at the time, so naturally any news about them opposing would stick in my head most.
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    Absolutely. Just because Verizon may be among the highest rated for customer service does not make their customer service good. I've had pretty good results with CS, but the one bad one was such a headache that it's pretty much tainted my view of Verizon's CS. But it's still better than when I was with Cingular.
    You know, for all the bashing that we give to CS, I have a friend who is a Cingular CSR, and I can tell you, what you think of them, is exactly what they think of you. (I'm saying "you" to all in general, not specifically Pablo.)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I managed a call center a about 7 years ago (prime time 24 when they were based in ny) and I can tell you that no we did not think that way of the customers. In fact the unit that I had was trained very well and as a manager I was able to spot the ones trying to hide under the radar. Thats the problem with too many of these companies; they're happy to pay anyone to sit there and answer the phone and not test the quality of service for each representative. I used to have 2 days out of the month to sit and monitor calls and every employee was reviewed monthly. Some employess were terminated for their actions (lying to customers about services) and others were re-trained. The few who performed above and beyond expectations were compensated with a different pay scale. This system has been abandoned by most companies. It's one flat rate for everyone regardless of efficiency and expertise.

My first day with the Treo 650 and sprint cust service almost made me take my phone back. They took to long to answer the phones and when I did get to a CSR; they didn't have a clue abou the treo 650 and spoke to me in a derrogatory manner and I just spent 500.00 on the damn phone.

Thanks to Engadget I knew about TreoCentral and I was able to figure some (not all) things out.

Nuff Said
    Just curious-

In an ideal world, we'd have amazing CS but no need to use them. Which would we prefer though: Horrible CS that we never know about cause we never need them, or a carrier with delightful CS but one that we need to call daily for one @%&#-up or another?

Once this is answered, then we can debate the issue of which carrier is better. If I never need CS then I don't care if they curse me out... I'll never hear it. If people have great CS experiences but only because they need to call them so much... well what does that say about the carrier in question?

I'm on VZW now and I wouldn't even know how to call CS. And should I switch to PCS (which I am contemplating for the sake of the 650), I should hope for the same.

JMTC
    and it all started with a SHARP Wizard
    Supporting techie devices for the masses is extremely difficult. Sprint puts out more bleeding edge phones and takes a beating for it. As a techie, I expect to know much more than the CSR and tend to only call for account questions/corrections. (All carriers have these problems). Sprint also has more account variations than any other carrier and they are not on top of it. Good to have the options but it's difficult for them to maintain. It's really about setting expectations for customers.

I feel sorry for the masses who expect... need... CS to resolve problems for complicated devices that in some cases are above their league.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123