Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    All I can say, is that now that I've switched to Sprint, I no longer roam while sitting in my living room!!! VZW probably has a bit better coverage along the foothills out here though (San Gabriel Valley/IE.)

There are some spots I'll lose with VZW, that Sprint holds, and vice-versa...

I also like that Sprint doesn't nickle-and dime you for everything the way VZW did. Does VZW even have an unlimited SMS bundle?
    As with a few others I recently switched to Sprint from VZW (had VZW for 3 years previous) and for the most part have been satisfied - except I only get reception towards the front part of my house whereas with VZW it worked all over. Granted I'm not in a major metropolitan area (Winston-Salem, NC) - but location aside I've been very happy with Sprint's service (once I get out on the main roads) and unlimited data package. As for the roaming - you would expect where I'm at I'd be roaming quite often but it has only happened a couple of times - and then briefly. I drove from W-S down to Jax, FL and didn't roam once along the I-26 corridor which the Sprint map lists as having "spotty" coverage. Overall no regrets - and the cheaper montly service even makes it better.
    and I still have sprint... b/c the only determining factor for me is broadband .... which isn't available in this area... so until verizon roles out broadband in this area.. I will stay w/ sprint... specificaly I haven't left spcs b/c of the very cheap data set-up... I can tether my 650 to my notebook and browse the web... and even with a 50% disc I still save more w/ sprint... but after vzw rolls out ev-do in my area, then the few extra bucks will be well worth it....verizons $79.99 unlim. web (national access & broadband access<--broadband not avail. in all markets) compared to sprints $15 .... its a no brainer, for now.
    Can anyone vouch for Sprint's coverage either in the suburban Boston area (where I live) or the Hartford area (where I go to school)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo600Sprint
    verizons $79.99 unlim. web (national access & broadband access<--broadband not avail. in all markets) compared to sprints $15 .... its a no brainer, for now.
    Actually, it is $45 versus $15 today but $30 can be a big difference for a lot of people.
  6. jda
    Quote Originally Posted by splufdaddy
    Can anyone vouch for Sprint's coverage either in the suburban Boston area (where I live) or the Hartford area (where I go to school)?
    In my opinion, Sprint's coverage is very good in the greater Boston area. I've used Verizon also and I did not see any major difference in coverage between the two. I know that Sprint added a bunch of towers to this area in the last year.
  7. jda
    Also, I don't think a lot of people know this but Sprint's tower maps are available on their website:

http://www.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/co...towermaps.html

So take a look and see if there are towers near where you live.
    I've read that Verizon's coverage maps include other CDMA carriers for roaming because Verizon does not charge for roaming. True? If so, I wonder what Verizon's true stand-alone coverage is vs. Sprint. Sprint has been on major rollout kick with towers in the last 6 months. If Sprint included the same, the coverage would obviously look identical.

Sprint charges $5 for roaming but when including data, Sprint is $30-$50 cheaper total per month than Verizon. That's a big difference over a year.

I just don't see any Verizon advantage.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    There probably isn't any --- for you.

Sprint is definitely cheaper for a lot of people but for those of us who have a LOT of in-Network contacts, VZW comes out ahead -- in cost. However, if everyone listens to you Sprint-boosters, that advantage would disappear. So far, it hasn't but I'll keep my eyes on it since I'm not loyal to any particular carrier.
    I agree w/ Beryl. Sprint would be cheaper for me feature for feature, but I'm on a 400 peak minute plan, and I use 2000 minutes per month. The reason? IN-Network. If I were to switch to Sprint, I'd have to modify my calling plan and my calling habits. Plus, I go to school in Connecticut, and work in Bristol, about a half hour south of Hartford. Sprint's map looks pretty solid around Hartford, but the surrounding areas look a little more sparse.

I've decided to stick w/ VZW, and try to use MOU as long as I can. When that runs out, I'll make a decision to either bite the bullet and let VZW fiscally screw me ($45/mo for data), or deactivate data if it's not worth it for me. A year from now I'll reaccess the scene and make a new decision. By then I should have a steady job and know where I'm going to be living full time, so I'll be able to make a more localized decision.
    In network calling...what a great scheme to lock customers up.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    It's probably helped draw more new cutomers to Verizon than existing customers they have retained.

And the end result is extra free anytime minutes. It's a great option to have, and those that don't are free to find another carrier with better plans to meet their needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    It's probably helped draw more new cutomers to Verizon than existing customers they have retained.

And the end result is extra free anytime minutes. It's a great option to have, and those that don't are free to find another carrier with better plans to meet their needs.
    Its a great idea IF you have other people with that service. I've been on VZW since the Airtouch days, and only have a few friends with VZW. Of which I talk via cell phone once a month at most.

Being "IN" was useless to me. I'm not trying to start a war, but just realize that for some, this is a feature.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Sprint has $5 PCS to PCS ( I actually get mine free). Add in Nextel users and PTT soon, $10 unlimited data, $5 for 7PM off peak and I use about 250 peak minutes per month and around 1000 overall. Plus I can go online whenever and never use minutes.

Call me a Sprint booster, but this was the easiest decision I've had in a long time.

Now there's talk that VZW may not even offer the 650??? I can't see where a treo afficianado would even consider VZW unless they couldn't get ANY reception from Sprint!!!
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Mobile to Mobile calling totally depends on the user. Believe it or not, PCS to PCS calling would be totally useless to me, because I don't actually know anyone on Sprint. That makes Sprint more expensive for me, because I wouldn't be able to go with a 400 minute plan on Sprint like I can on VZW. I use more IN peak minutes a month than regular non-VZW peak minutes. So unfortunately, what I would save in data costs with Sprint would be lost on my calling plan.

In a year when my contract is up, I'll seriously consider Sprint. But for now, VZW unfortunately has me (as well as countless others) roped in because of the free M2M. It seems like something that just keeps snowballing, because I know a few friends who have moved over to VZW because everyone else is already here. If everyone keeps moving to the same network, it will be harder to leave. Obviously this is based on only one social circle, and I'm sure each provider has large groups of family/friends on their network. M2M calling is a different type of feature though that is worthless to some people on one network, and better than gold on other networks. It's not a flat feature like unlimited SMS that's the same all around. It's funny like that.
    The benefits of each plan seem so user dependent. Frankly, looking over my last few cell bills, 90% of the calls I make are to land lines. M2M comes in handy for me when I talk to my wife but those conversations are usually short and to the point. After some comparing, I think that for my purposes the cost of VZW vs. Sprint would be a nominal difference (including data plans) so it would probably all come down to call coverage. Now given that 95% of my phone usage is in midtown Manhattan where Sprint and Verizon are pretty much the same, it would almost come down to flipping a coin... except that I really REALLY REALLY want a Treo 650!

I posted my sentiments in another thread, but if anyone reading this has any Sprint vs. Verizon info in NYC, I'd welcome any advice.

This site has been a great learning experinece for me and I'm really greatful for everyone's gracious input.
    and it all started with a SHARP Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by VueDoc
    The benefits of each plan seem so user dependent. Frankly, looking over my last few cell bills, 90% of the calls I make are to land lines. M2M comes in handy for me when I talk to my wife but those conversations are usually short and to the point. After some comparing, I think that for my purposes the cost of VZW vs. Sprint would be a nominal difference (including data plans) so it would probably all come down to call coverage. Now given that 95% of my phone usage is in midtown Manhattan where Sprint and Verizon are pretty much the same, it would almost come down to flipping a coin... except that I really REALLY REALLY want a Treo 650!

I posted my sentiments in another thread, but if anyone reading this has any Sprint vs. Verizon info in NYC, I'd welcome any advice.

This site has been a great learning experinece for me and I'm really greatful for everyone's gracious input.
    Your usage is much like mine Doc. Most of my calls (inbound/outbound) are from landlines. I also happen to work nights and am asleep for most of the "Peak" hours (especially Sprints 7a-7p peak time), so having unlimited minutes with another subscriber is all but meaningless to me.

I was (still am actually) a VZW user for years, but I've gotten so fed up with them.

How long did it take to offer a BT enabled phone? Or a camera phone. (could care less about a camera on a phone, but still...)

There was once a time in the beginning when I had to pay an extra $5/mo for a 3-way/caller ID pakcage (while others had this included from their carriers.)

Nearly $50 for data as compared to Sprints $15/mo or TMo's $30/mo plans.

I get Unlimited Text w/Sprint for the price of 250 text messages on VZW.

I have an extra three hours a day during the week of Off-Peak time w/Sprint.

Coverage wise, I'll give VZW their due, everything else though has been irritating to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Nearly $50 for data as compared to Sprints $15/mo or TMo's $30/mo plans.

I get Unlimited Text w/Sprint for the price of 250 text messages on VZW.

I have an extra three hours a day during the week of Off-Peak time w/Sprint.

Coverage wise, I'll give VZW their due, everything else though has been irritating to me.

From the plans I've seen, Sprint is $30-$50/month cheaper if wanting unlimited data/messaging (even if including Sprint's $5 roaming).

Verizon's coverage is not really better in all markets. Their coverage maps show other non-VZW networks as well because they include roaming for free. Sprint charges $5/mo for roaming and would have exact coverage as Verizon yet still much cheaper overall.

As far as support... I've not had significant problems but even if I did, I'd rather have support problems a few times a year than pay outrageous fees literally every month.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    No I do not think Verizon is better than Sprint. They're both on level playing ground.
    By far Verizon and Sprint have the best coverage in the NY metro area. Sprints fair and flexible is definitley cool and so is the data plan (professional pack which includes business connection personal) for 15.00

Verizon didn't do enough to keep me on after my contract ran out; I say try it for 14 or 30 days (whichever category you fall into) It took me 3 days before i decided I was staying.
    Last edited by davetheone; 01/17/2005 at 09:21 AM.
    I had Sprint since before they had coverage in LA. The coverage was fine, the phones seemed like they would crap out 3months after I bought them, Sprint would stop supporting them 5 months after I bought them (brand new models), and their customer service literally almost drove me to commit murder.

As a test, I called Sprint customer service 4 seperate times in one day, asked the same question each time, and got 4 different answers (yes, not, uh not yet, don't know). I don't remember the question, but it just proved that no one their knows what they are doing.

I switched to Verizon the day after the number portability went into effect. Sprint had over a year to prepare for this, but it still took them 3 weeks to get the number switched over. I had to get on the phone with a Verizon engineer and 2 different Sprint engineers, and laugh as the Verizon engineer walked them through switching the number over. After that, it still took a week for Sprint's compters to release the number.

Sprint may have better phones (no doubt) and very good coverage, but the thought of dealing with their customer support, even for simple issues, will keep me from ever being a Sprint customer again. I'd rather pay the extra $$ for Verizon and deal with people who have a clue.

Richard
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast