1.    #1  
    I am going to buy the Treo 650 and was wondering how the Sprint Voice and Data is in Palm Beach, Broward and Dade County (Boca Raton is home)?

BTW, Is it true that Vision service is never available when roaming. You can only use Vision on Sprint's network? So does that mean no internet or email if I go out of state or out of the sprint network?

Also, I am going on vacation to St. Thomas, St. Martin and the Bahamas on a cruise and was wondering if voice/data would work will docked in these Islands and if its considered roaming?

Thanks,
    Jose
    Sprint works beautifully in south florida. cant answer the vision question as I never have to roam.
    Spint is great throught most of South Florida. An occasional loss of signal, but it comes right back. SprintPCS works in ST. Thomas and Puerto Rico but not in St. Marten or the Bahamas.
  4.    #4  
    Marathonman,

You have tested SprintPCS and it did work in ST. Thomas, but not Puerto Rico, St. Marten or the Bahamas?

Did you get charged roaming fees to use it in St. Thomas?

Did email/web and IM work there? Were you using a Treo device?

Thanks for the help,
    Jose
    All I can say is don't go to south beach when ever there is a big event there... like awards of some type... I have been there 4 times while there was awards like the hip hop awards and the source awards and the signal sucks... but I have been there when there is nothing going on and the signal is good...
    I travel down there often and have as good as signal as Sprint's most solid places in the US. I happen to now be 60 miles outside of Tampa deep in the woods. I'm posting this message on Vision service with only 1 bar (on laptop via Bluetooth). No problems with voice either, even with just one bar. One friend on Verizon here is dropping calls, my phone does not. The T650 signal seems highly senstive compared to T600.

BTW, the friend who lives at the place I'm at never bothered getting a cellphone because the signal was so bad in the woods. He's so impressed with this phone's connection that he plans to get one and go with Sprint.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    I travel down there often and have as good as signal as Sprint's most solid places in the US. I happen to now be 60 miles outside of Tampa deep in the woods. I'm posting this message on Vision service with only 1 bar (on laptop via Bluetooth). No problems with voice either, even with just one bar. One friend on Verizon here is dropping calls, my phone does not. The T650 signal seems highly senstive compared to T600.

BTW, the friend who lives at the place I'm at never bothered getting a cellphone because the signal was so bad in the woods. He's so impressed with this phone's connection that he plans to get one and go with Sprint.
    It might be different now, but two years ago we had to change from Sprint to VZW because VZW coverage in the Keys is/was so much better. NOT great....just better. We have a house on Cudjoe Key and the VZW phones just seemed to get a better signal. YMMV of course, and it is 2 years (about) later. Can't get much further "South Florida".
    I've been from one end of Florida to the other - Panama City to Jacksonville, Orlando, Boca, Lauderdale, Miami, the Keys, Fort Meyers, and, of course, Tampa. Never had a problem with Sprint service anywhere in FL. Even at my Mom's house in La Belle - a pretty off-the-beaten-path place in Hendry County - I had service. During the hurricanes and the aftermath, I had service, even in Punta Gorda and Escambia County.

To answer the other question posed - you do NOT get Vision services when roaming. No features other than phone calls (and maybe SMS?) will work when off-network.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for all the feedback.

Does anyone know if St. Martin in the Caribbean is considered roaming?

Thanks,
    Jose
    Have you checked Sprint's web site? They have pretty detailed coverage information.

A quick check shows that St. Martin is not only roaming, but there's no CDMA there - you'd need a GSM phone.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    SprintPCS will work in St. Thomas "and" Puerto Rico without roaming. If you are in a part of the Island that does not have signal, your phone will roam if roaming is enabled on it. You will payfor roaming depending on your plan. Vision will work if you have SprintPCS signal and have subscribed to the service. Vision will not work if you are roaming.