1.    #1  
    I'm a disappointed AT&T Wireless subscriber who's service has gone downhill since the merger with Cingular so I'm going to switch (also looking to leave GSM for CDMA). Plan to head to the local SprintPCS store to get a Treo 650 and kick the tires on the coverage around town for the 14day trial.

However, I'm curious to know if Verizon is going to carry the 650. I'd expect it with them carrying the 600 (and of late, dropping the price), but I haven't seen any official word.

I'd like to find out because I think I'd like to try the Sprint service extensively in my home area, then (if it's not a terribly long wait), check out the Verizon service with the same phone (I'm already sold on the 650 from a friend who has it). What about activating a Sprint-sold Treo 650 on the Verizon network? I saw mines post about his success, but he had to create a cable... what's up with that?

-AC
    Never know with VZW - they have to keep up their reputation of offering old, crappy phones.

I suspect they'll release the 650 in the summer or fall (if ever)!
    My source at palmOne said it will more then likely be summer '05 before Verizon offers the 650. Though palmOne will stop producing the 600 at the end of this month, so if demand goes high for the 650 because there are no more 600's - who knows, maybe it will be sooner.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    it's inevitable it'll be offered, but i'd keep an eye on the B2B discussions, since it'll probably come out there first. verizon lagged almost 6 months on the treo 600, but only 4 weeks on the Audivox 6600 (and VZW's 6600 has EVDO while Sprint's does not). so i'd say they are reducing their lag time, but i will not insult your intelligence by pulling a magical time estimate out from where the sun don't shine
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I spoke to a VZW Data tech today, who informed me that he does not think VZW will introduce the 650 as they are more oriented towards EVDO phones/pda's. I don't know if I should believe it or not, but that's what he said.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    baldy,
    you should probably elaborate more on the fact that both the sprint and verizon phones are capable of EVDO, but verizon is offering evdo service to those in select areas of evdo coverage. you make it seem that the sprint version has evdo left out, which is not the case.
    i did see the evdo cards by verizon at their retail stores - i dont know how long they have been offering this but the store i checked out seemed more business oriented... hint of things to come? drop in evdo service charges $$$?
    sledgie,
    Where is Sprint currently offering EVDO?
    ^Sprint's EVDO won't come until next Summer. They are doing internal employee testing in several markets now I hear. Sprint likes to do national rollouts almost all at once. Verizon will do market by market over a longer period of time. Both plan to be nationwide by end of 2005 or following quarter.

BTW, Sprint is saying they may bump speeds up to 3.1Mb downstream / 1.8Mb up in 2006/7.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    i have had multiple vzw store people say early 2005. given, they are not exactly inventory executives, but they seem to know what they're talking about. one even was talking with me about normal processes form phone launch to vzw carrying it. she said they got their preliminary contact saying the 650 will come early 2005. then, she said, they normally get an email about 2 weeks before inventory saying "the 650's are coming! the 650's are coming!" she said they're waiting for that email. jan or feb most likely.
    I just got back from vzw store in the south hill mall of puyallup, WA. Baaaaad mistake to go to a major mall the week before Christmas. The rep I talked to said he had heard late January, early February 2005 for the 650. He said vzw keeps their pricing very close to the vest.
    There's a thread on Howardforums.com about how VZW will offer the 650 sometime in the first half of 2005.
    It will happen eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCIM1124
    He said vzw keeps their pricing very close to the vest.
    Was that a typo? Did you mean close to the "rest"? If not, what is vest?
    That means they keep it hidden like a poker player wearing a vest and holding his cards close to his body. It's just a figure of speech.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markito
    That means they keep it hidden like a poker player wearing a vest and holding his cards close to his body. It's just a figure of speech.
    Ahhh, makes sense....just never heard of it before. Thanks.
    And EVDO means? And the benefits for the user are? Thanks for getting me up to speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    baldy,
    you should probably elaborate more on the fact that both the sprint and verizon phones are capable of EVDO, but verizon is offering evdo service to those in select areas of evdo coverage. you make it seem that the sprint version has evdo left out, which is not the case.
    i did see the evdo cards by verizon at their retail stores - i dont know how long they have been offering this but the store i checked out seemed more business oriented... hint of things to come? drop in evdo service charges $$$?
    Are you saying that current Sprint 650's are equipped to use EVDO?
    I also heard Feb. '05...from my two friends that work for VZW...one in-store manager, one corp. employee.

Erik
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    ^Sprint's EVDO won't come until next Summer. They are doing internal employee testing in several markets now I hear. Sprint likes to do national rollouts almost all at once. Verizon will do market by market over a longer period of time. Both plan to be nationwide by end of 2005 or following quarter.

BTW, Sprint is saying they may bump speeds up to 3.1Mb downstream / 1.8Mb up in 2006/7.
    IS VERIZON BETTER??? WHAT IS EVDO???
    I need to decide soon about leaving verizon to sprint!

Here's my situation.. I'm in Los Angeles, probably moving to San Diego soon. I have basic mobile service with verizon, and it seems ok. I looked at Sprint, and the calling plans are about the same as verizon, but UNLIMITED INTERNET on Sprint is only $15/mo (PCS Vision Professional).. but UNLIMITED INTERNET on Verizon is $45-50/mo (Network+Wireless Sync). Unless I'm missing something, Verizon internet seems much more expensive than Sprint. Are they not equivalent?

Why are do so many people prefer verizon?! I've never tried Sprint, so I am hoping for some real-life feedback. I have friends who have Sprint, and a few who have the Treo 600 and 650, and they all seem to say everything works fine. Anyone have sprint in the Los Angeles/San Diego area? How's the call coverage? Dropped calls? Internet? etc..

Also, has anyone heard about an audiovox coming out soon that is a pda/phone like the Treo, but will have broadband high-speed internet?

I just don't know if I feel comfortable enough paying more for a sprint 650 and converting it to verizon (& voiding my warranty) and possibly screwing it up and ending up with a $599 kick-***-looking paperweight.

Basically.. IS IT WORTH THE RISK??

My contract is up soon with verizon, and I can just get the 650 on the Sprint network, and then I'd have support (sort of... I know they kind of suck at Sprint). Any thoughts?

THIS GROUP IS GREAT!!! THANKS EVERYONE!!!
    -UT
    If the cost is that important to you, I urge you to go with Sprint as soon as your contract is up. Sprint has historically offered lower cost voice and data plans and I doubt that will change. It may work well for you.

Why are so many people with VZW? We all have our different reasons and mine is because of better customer service and coverage (voice and data). My experience with Sprint is 2.5 years old so they may have improved.