Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    Not to rain on the parade, but.......

There is still the possibility that Verizon will try to do a hostile takeover of Sprint, making the Sprint/Nextel deal null and void, and sucking us Sprint users into the hell of Verizon. Watch the next couple of weeks, if Verizon trys this it will have to be soon.
    VodaFone actually just nixed the idea of a Verizon take over of Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh
    YAY! I'm in a Sprint affiliate territory (Airgate PCS) and I HATE them. I REALLY REALLY hope this will improve the sprint coverage here... eventually...
    The merger press release specifically mentions phasing out some of the affiliate tower agreements. That makes me a little nervous, because we don't have nextel coverage in my affiliate area. What if talks break down between Sprint and the affiliate company, and the affiliate towers I count on are shut off?

Not probably, I understand, but still makes me nervous.

Clue
    Damn. Going to have to change the logo on my phone now
    Sounds like The next Treo coming out will Have a walkie talkie that sounds bad on both ends , a .3 megapixel camera & No WiFi
    I predict we'll soon see a commercial with the sprint guy dancing with the nextel office guys. "Oooooo baby baby, oooo baby baby"
    I have a baby picture, so i have to post here...

I think that to get PTT working on the Treo 650, is a software issue, so that is why we have the side button... I hope
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    I predict we'll soon see a commercial with the sprint guy dancing with the nextel office guys. "Oooooo baby baby, oooo baby baby"

that would be cute.

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Mistake! Nextel is a bunch of male blue collar roofers and Sprint is a bunch of women and some high end techies like us 650 lovers (and Tom Hanks).

Like mixing oil and vinegar.
    Scary:

Saving network operating expenses by reducing the number of cell sites and switches.
    Instead of getting better coverage out of this deal, we get the same coverage with more users. That sucks.

migration of Nextelís push to talk services to CDMA.
    Sprint gets the walkie talkie it looks like.

Very interesting. We will se if this is good or crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    The merger press release specifically mentions phasing out some of the affiliate tower agreements. That makes me a little nervous, because we don't have nextel coverage in my affiliate area. What if talks break down between Sprint and the affiliate company, and the affiliate towers I count on are shut off?

Not probably, I understand, but still makes me nervous.

Clue
    I don't think you should be worried about that. Right now Sprint has agreements with other, smaller providers to get a larger network. In areas where Nextel has a tower and the partner has a tower, Sprint will likeley terminate the usage agreement since it now has its own resources there.

A good example of this would be when I travel into Charleston, WV to visit family. I have Sprint service there, but it is really using Ntelos's networkl. Nextel is also in that area, so Sprint is likely to install its own CDMA equipment on Nextel towers and terminate their agreement with Ntelos.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    Mistake! Nextel is a bunch of male blue collar roofers and Sprint is a bunch of women and some high end techies like us 650 lovers (and Tom Hanks).

I have seen a lot of high tech businesses that use Nextel service in the Northern Virginia area. True they do have a good amount of Blue Collar workers who use Nextel for the PTT, but I don't see this as being a bad thing. Sprint Nextel will probably have the most diversified user base, and this should be a good thing.

I think that this will be good for both Sprint and Nextel as Sprint will get that nice contiguous spectrum that the FCC just gave to Nextel, and Sprint will get the Nextel towers and customers, and have to put a true commitment to PTT. Nextel was going to have to invest $3Billion in their network to upgrade to CDMA, now at least some of that money can be invested in the Sprint Network. This should also accelerate Sprints EV-D0 and either EV-DV or EV-DO Release A which will have the better PTT support.

that's pretty funny and frighteningly perceptive
    Doesn't that make salad dressing?
    BOFH/Chavous Camp

Don't know what BOFH stands for? See here.
    In case it already hasn't been mentioned, this is a good deal for Sprint, since Nextel was just awarded a huge chunk of 1.9Ghz spectrum by the FCC to relocate their services away from the public (800mhz) spectrum. This means good things for expanded Sprint coverage and increased spectrum to allow for next generation data/voice services (EVDO). I would imagine that the only towers/cells that they'll divest are in markets where the two companies are currently in competition. Everywhere else, coverage will improve.
    Gonna have to change the name of this forum soon.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12